What does everyone use for steering? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What does everyone use for steering?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
sn95guy
2004 WJ 

What does everyone use for steering?

I am looking at upgrading my steering in the front of my wj, just trying to get the cheaper stuff done before I end up going long arm/44s. I currently have a IRO adjustable trac bar, and was looking at the wj over the knuckle tie rod end kit, not sure what else i should add to help beef up the front end, already got the dual stabilizers

sn95guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Dual stabilizers are kinda silly unless you have like a humungous lift and giant tires. More work for your power steering pump to wear it out faster, and if you got them to mask death wobble then you fixed the wrong thing... Moog tie rod ends are a nice upgrade. Some guys have talked about tearing boots on them but the arms themselves are much thicker than stock and have a lifetime warranty. I just put outers (outer driver and lower outer passenger) on last night. They come naked so you need to hit them with some rustoleum or something first.

Do you already have a lift?
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Upgrade your steering after you swap axles. Makes much more sense. Unless your axle swap consists of bolt-on jk44's, then just buy more IRO ****.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
sn95guy
2004 WJ 

Well I was planning on bolt in jk axles... and I got caster set right where it should be with my lift and still got a little wobble.. the dual stabilizer helped hide it but not fix it... I know... I just figure why not upgrade steering to something with more clearance when replacing... I don't like to replace anything with stock stuff..
sn95guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

D44 in the front is going to have different steering than your D30. Why would you upgrade, then swap, then change the steering again?
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Title What does everyone use for steering?

I use the steering wheel!......tried the to use the shifter once....hit a truck....will stick with the steering wheel till something better comes along!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.