what do u know another guy with a weird noise comming from front end of his 01 wj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > what do u know another guy with a weird noise comming from front end of his 01 wj

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 05-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
model98dhb1
2001 WJ 

what do u know another guy with a weird noise comming from front end of his 01 wj

its hard to hear the noise is so loud the faster you go the louder it is its a whining and if it hits a dip or something big it will stop and at a coast it stops. its been doing this for awhile now but I kept driving it and and went from NC to Va to PA back to NC and nothing got worse so I never fixed it cause I never had the money but now on my dirt road pushing a little gas it really sounds like the wheel bearing metal on metal but I still think it is the front driveshaft or transfercase the hub assembly to just swap are 89 each should I do it anyway or does someone have an idea that it is infact the front pinion. and im no mechanic but I do work on my own vehicle but should I just buck up and take it to a pro. please help thanks

model98dhb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
berndog67
2003 WJ 

a quick somewhat easy way to narrow down is to remove front driveshaft and go for a drive, if nothing changes then pull both wheel bearings and check by turning them by hand to check for any binding or noise, also check for stuck brake pistons, warped rotors, low or wrong fluid in differential, pull back the boots on the axle shafts and check for play or wear, the list goes on, its fairly hard to diagnose without being there, but that should give u main common things that can cause noise and vibrations as far as the front is concerned
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
model98dhb1
2001 WJ 

now why didn't I think of that good that will give me what I want to know your a big help and i love this jeep forum, but there is play in the front drive shaft but I thought that was normal... and as far as fluids go I bought it with 80,000 miles on it and have about put that many on it myself and im not sure if any of the fluids have been flushed I did the transmission the other month and there was a **** load of sludge and some normal metal shavings on the magnet but obviously old fluid is the same kind of mess as low or different. the rotors were warped when I got it replaced those and fixed that and a lot of people on the forums say that sometimes there jeep is just normal loud, how do I know if mine is one of those. and if it is the front drive shaft do u know how much money to fix that or replace just a ball park thanks oh and I haven't looked but how does the front drive shaft detach? c clips?
model98dhb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.