What to do about hail damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What to do about hail damage

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
MadMonk
1999 WJ 

What to do about hail damage

My '99 suffered from hail damage in recent storms that have come through central Oklahoma. I have no glass damage, but the hood and roof is pretty beat-up, along with some noticable dents along the sides (we had baseball-sized hail come through while I was at work and there was nothing I could do about it).

After speaking with my insurance agent, he said that if it were him, he'd get the insurance check (which will total the vehicle), try to get it back from insurance for a reasonable amount, then turn around and sell it for whatever I can get for it.

Normally, I'd agree, but I have a special place in my heart for this one and my son (who is 11) really wants me to hand it down to him when he turns 16. Another thing that complicates my decision is that I just put a new engine in it (for about $3,000) and it only has about 13k on it.

Should I do as the insurance guy recommends (and maybe go buy a used JK?)

How about just not claiming anything and fix the damage myself over time (it's totally drivable, its just my ego that screams at driving a beat-up vehicle).

Get the insurance check, keep the vehicle and drive it with only liability coverage?

Just looking for some impartial perspective from those not as emotionally involved in the decision as I am.

'99 WJ Limited 4x4, 4.0L, Patriot Blue Metallic, IRO 3" springs, track bar, and rear sway bar links, Doetsch Tech 8000 shocks, Tenneco steering stabilizer, Carolina Driveline double-cardan front drive shaft.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Jut so you know, if you take the check or fix it yourself, chances are you will not be able to get hail coverage on it again unless it is certified as repaired by someone the insurance company accepts as qualified. Since they know now, chances are if you want to continue full coverage, it will need to be fixed.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Even with the cost of the recent engine replacement, it would be totaled.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Krom

First get a quote from a paintless dent repair guy, You can try and find junk yard panels with matching color, or just drive it as is.
Krom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
webby88
2000 WJ 

I wouldn't fix it, take the check and buy it back from the insurance. In NY - and with my insurance - I had once an option to take a total check minus like $400 and keep the car (not a jeep).

Hail repair is iffy since there are so many dings and dents etc. If anything, replace the hood and ignore the roof...

My 2 cents.
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
MadMonk
1999 WJ 

Thanks everyone. I'm leaning toward just taking the cash and buying it back from the insurance. I've had paintless dent repairs done before on a different vehicle and it turned out great. Who says I have to get it all fixed at once, right? Maybe start with just the hood, then the doors, root, etc, as my budget allows. If nothing else, I can just turn this into my toy and buy another vehicle for daily driving. I haven't had a car payment in over ten years, though. That's going to take some getting used to.
'99 WJ Limited 4x4, 4.0L, Patriot Blue Metallic, IRO 3" springs, track bar, and rear sway bar links, Doetsch Tech 8000 shocks, Tenneco steering stabilizer, Carolina Driveline double-cardan front drive shaft.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.