My '99 suffered from hail damage in recent storms that have come through central Oklahoma. I have no glass damage, but the hood and roof is pretty beat-up, along with some noticable dents along the sides (we had baseball-sized hail come through while I was at work and there was nothing I could do about it).
After speaking with my insurance agent, he said that if it were him, he'd get the insurance check (which will total the vehicle), try to get it back from insurance for a reasonable amount, then turn around and sell it for whatever I can get for it.
Normally, I'd agree, but I have a special place in my heart for this one and my son (who is 11) really wants me to hand it down to him when he turns 16. Another thing that complicates my decision is that I just put a new engine in it (for about $3,000) and it only has about 13k on it.
Should I do as the insurance guy recommends (and maybe go buy a used JK?)
How about just not claiming anything and fix the damage myself over time (it's totally drivable, its just my ego that screams at driving a beat-up vehicle).
Get the insurance check, keep the vehicle and drive it with only liability coverage?
Just looking for some impartial perspective from those not as emotionally involved in the decision as I am.