Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you pay for your WJ?

38K views 365 replies 294 participants last post by  steve_80 
#1 ·
I'm just curious to see what y'all paid for your WJ, I paid $2000 cash with nothing wrong with it and bone stock!

#29 ·
Ah673000 said:
$33,000 for a loaded 02 limited. Still own it at 160k...... Best vehicle I have ever owned . Still looks / drives like the day it rolled off the dealers lot. And the 4.7 seems to run better with age!
Well the engineers that build the 4.7 said that it doesn't get really broken in until the 100k point... So I can see some truth to that if you can avoid the typical 4.7 problems!!

#30 ·
Glad this came up.....you guys can tell me how bad off I am, IF I am, LOL....

2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L 2wd - $2200
A/C Hose - $34
Tires - $538
Crank Sensor - $54
PCM - $170
Oil Sending Unit - $30
Spark Plugs - $12
Door Panel Clip replacement - $5.00
Rear Brake pads - $35
Wiper blades - $9

Traded out with a friend who owns a shop for:
Oil & Filter
Freon
Trans Fluid Change

Stuff I did free:
Get the power seat into a better spot (removed rear jammed motor)
Repair wiring in door conduit
Fixed dent in hatch
Fixed loose shock absorber

Stuff I still need to fix:
Hung brake caliper
Brake Pads - Front
Clunking noise on left front suspension
Rear Lift cylinders for hatch and glass

Total spent so far, $3087, not including any labor by myself or my friend who owns the shop.

That's not inclusive of what I will spend on it today fixing the brake, and the noise in the suspension. Am I screwed?

Tim

#31 ·
I bought my old 2000 2wd WJ for 4500 about 4 years ago so I guess you're about where I was.....Just the time and energy you've put into it. Although I can tell you that having my newer '04 WJ 4wd I feel more assured that I can do more with it....Of course I live out in the country and occasionally have to drive down a really nasty driveway that I've actually had to miss work because of in my old 2wd WJ.

With the new '04, I've taken it down the same driveway without having to mess with anything thanks to the QuadraDrive and it went through it pretty easily. (I've got a creek crossing near the entrance of my property that washes the driveway out when it floods and it flooded a few days ago).

#32 ·
$5000 for a 2004 Laredo.. about 120k on the clock, and a few relatively insignificant cosmetic flaws. Not an unbelievable deal, but I think we could still sell it for a profit.

#35 ·
Kind of weird. Around my neck of the woods WJ 4.0s go from 1700-2500 and 4.7 go from 3000-5500..

Got mine for 3500 (4.7) and had 1100 bucks worth of work done to it.

#39 ·
Paid $10K for a 2004 4.7 Quadra-drive II Limited w/74K miles and every option you'd ever want a couple months ago. Bought it from a dealer as a dd for my wife and it came with a 100K mile power-train warranty so still have 25K miles left.

This may seem like an awful lot of money but to tell you the truth I had to search for a couple months to even find a late model WJ 4.7 limited w/o lots of miles. And the few I did find were selling for about $12K. Was also looking at WK's and sure am glad I went with the WJ body style which looks a whole lot better!

Actually my 93 year-old Jeep-lovin' mommy paid for most of the cost! :D

Still not sure I'm into the "pimped out" look with the full running boards and plastic rain shields over each door window. But what the heck since it helps my small wife get in/out of it while the rain doesn't come in the windows when cracked.

Attachments

#42 ·
I just picked up a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ a blown 4.0 for $400. Body and interior are really nice and everything seems to work, it even still ran when I bought it. Motor is currently out of it and the "rebuild vs. buy used" engine debate begun...

#44 ·
$750 in 2010 because it had a spun bearing.

Then let the shop take care of it for $3000. Then that motor went and I got another for $1200. Then that motor went and rebuilt it last month for about $3000 (including things like motor mounts, fluids, seals, etc.) just to do everything right. Then include the $1000 in a used lift kit, $550 on light bar/roof rack, and somewhere around $700 for other little things

All in all, anywhere between $10,000 - $11,000 into the jeep. Never done the math until now. And I thought I was getting a great deal at $750... Damn

#49 ·
Bought it back in August this year; been busy detailing it, not in a hurry to tag it - also have 04 Limited as daily driver; bought the 03 as a back up plan in case the 04 craps out - that has 102k now but meticulously cared for so hopefully will hold out till I'm ready to drive the 03 daily then sell the 04. Mileage is what caught my attention; figured to dump $2-3K in it for fresh tires, brakes, battery, and wheels - should have nice low mileage Overland for about $10-11K when done; replaced 3 badges and hood, lift and glass shocks too - just really weather worn, been parked outside all these years (and the guy had any empty garage - go figure....).

#52 ·
Bought it this last Friday, paid $900 dropped off at my house.

2000 4.7 Limited w/Tow Package, 166K miles, a little rough on the exterior (dings, small scratches, broke passenger rear taillight, cracks in the front and rear bumper covers), interior is a little dirty, but the leather is in good condition. Did a little troubleshooting for the crank, no start condition and it looks liked the ECM died on the PO. Picked up a used ECM from the junkyard for $30 and just had it flashed on my lunch break for $65.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.