What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 496 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 01-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #7426
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbailey_21 View Post
What did I do to my wj today... What DIDN'T I do to my wj today..

All started as a waterpump/ thermostat job but I decided I wanted to check all the hoses and what not so I pulled the radiator, the electric and mechanical fan, thermostat out, water pump out, front skid plate off, front grille off, the fan housing, the cowling above the radiator, and the air filter housing.
Im In the process of getting a new water pump, new thermostat,new air filter and housing, buying hid bulbs for my headlights, and getting engine degreaser to clean up my oil/ coolant spill of an engine compartment.
(LOL).... I have done simple little repairs like this.. (LOL). They seem to grow larger and larger as I work I have the 4.0L with the Up Country skid on the front and have been told, that anytime I have access to that lower radiator hose, I need to replace it because it is a bear to get to.. (not something that can be done on the side of the highway).... Like I said, I haven't personally messed with this, but no repair is simple, quick, or easy on a WJ, so I'll assume what I was told is correct.

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #7427
Terminator2

Replaced my PCV valve today. NAPA had one in stock and it was $6 and made in the USA so I thought that was a good deal. Changing it was easy except those AC lines that run right there and the fact my engine was super hot still LOL. Old PCV was original and had some sludge built up inside of it but seemed to still work properly. I like the piece of mind of changing things before they actually fail.

Next up: My new hood goes on, prep for paint, evil looking flat black paint job by me and then the new headlights, taillights, 3rd brake light to complete the sinister look.

Hopefully I will get new mirrors for my birthday (January 19th) as my passenger one cracked where it sits against the A-pillar and my driver's motor works only up and down not in and out LOL.

Before summer I am going to flush the coolant system one more time (2nd time because lots of sludge buildup from 10 year old coolant that was in there when I bought it) and I think I will replace my upper and lower radiator hoses and clamps while I am at it.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #7428
liquidxit2
2002 WJ 

Be thankful yall dont have the hydro fan. While everyone says they cool much better I hate that SOB.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 low output quadradrive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein 5100, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in exhaust with flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, Custom K and N FIPK, modded airbox with ram air, Fastman 71mm Throttle body, PML RFE Deep pan, Autometer digital trans temp gauge, P.I.E. aux adapter, Infinity reference 3.5/6x9/6.5, 200w inverter, surco rack, front/rear/cargo husky liners.
WJ Build!
liquidxit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #7429
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskier74 View Post
yesterday: i changed the oil. couldnt convince myself to switch to synthetic so i stayed with conv. i put in castrol gtx 5w-30 for the winter...but when i drained my old oil, barely any came out. maybe 1/4 or so of a normal oil change
Wow you don't check your oil level from time to time? I check mine at least once a month sometimes once every 2 weeks. Unless you have a external leak where there is dripping oil under your rig you likely have an internal leak (possible blow by the oil ring on the pistons. You lost 4-4.5 quarts or so which is a lot of oil.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #7430
cbailey_21
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep

(LOL).... I have done simple little repairs like this.. (LOL). They seem to grow larger and larger as I work I have the 4.0L with the Up Country skid on the front and have been told, that anytime I have access to that lower radiator hose, I need to replace it because it is a bear to get to.. (not something that can be done on the side of the highway).... Like I said, I haven't personally messed with this, but no repair is simple, quick, or easy on a WJ, so I'll assume what I was told is correct.
That hose was absolutely horrible. It took an air ratchet, 20 minutes and a lot of cussing just to get the freaking skid plate off
[QUOTE=smuggler;13038059]Ah yes that is a common Jeep thing, weird noises after wheelin'. This is how you fix it. You have to go wheelin' again, but in reverse. Once you get done the clunk should be gone.[/QUOTE]

MODS: BDS 2" coils, Bilstein 5100 struts, 17"Moab takeoffs, 245/65/17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Addco 1" Rear Swaybar, Energy Suspension greasable swaybar bushings, westin tail light guards, Rancho HD Steering stabilizer, Freedom Edition running boards, Spyder Halo Foglights, Rola Vortex roof rack.
cbailey_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #7431
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbailey_21 View Post
That hose was absolutely horrible. It took an air ratchet, 20 minutes and a lot of cussing just to get the freaking skid plate off
I don't wheel my WJ..... I have thought about just removing this skid plate and never putting it back on. So far, it is just a thought, I haven't actually gotten motivated to actually remove it.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #7432
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I don't wheel my WJ..... I have thought about just removing this skid plate and never putting it back on. So far, it is just a thought, I haven't actually gotten motivated to actually remove it.
That skid plate is pointless for 99% of all WJ owners. The radiator support beam in front will normally take the hit.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #7433
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
That skid plate is pointless for 99% of all WJ owners. The radiator support beam in front will normally take the hit.
Kind of what I was thinking.....

Once the skid is off.... is the lower radiator hose a fairly simple change? Something that could be done on the side of an x-way, or better yet, just changed as a preventative type of thing?
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #7434
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

Talking

got my CB in the mail today. just waiting on the antenna and mount.

4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #7435
KDF401
1999 WJ 

Got the jeep finally registered..now the fun begins
KDF401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #7436
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
if you want to sell it pm me
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #7437
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I just ordered the following from Kolak:

-8 coil spring isolators (all four corners, top and bottom)
-5 brake hoses (all four corners, and the rear body to axle)
-1 brake booster

My isolators are worn/tearing/shredding and need to be replaced. I while I am at it, I plan on refreshing the brake fluid and thought I would toss in new lines as these ones have been on the vehicle for many years. Preventative maintenance is important if I am going to keep beating this thing offroad. I would hate for a line to fail while I am back in a trail somewhere. The brake booster is squeeking and needs to be replaced...I like stopping and would hate it if it failed in a critical moment.

Kolak responded very quick to multiple questions, so far this has been a great transaction. Now I know why people on here like ordering from him.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #7438
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
if you want to sell it pm me
I don't have a reason to remove it at the moment.... if you want to send me a PM with your phone number, I'll put it in a safe place and when I do remove the skid, I'll call and see if you are still interested. However, I suspect this sucker would cost a pretty penny to ship.
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #7439
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep

I've only had problems removing the skid the first time I had to do it. After that its only two bolts that actually have to be removed. The other two only have to be unthreaded a bit to give room to wiggle the skid free. I've done it on the trail to remove a stuck t stat. Just remove it one day at home to see what's involved and decide on keeping it or not. I keep mines on as it does have a dent. Don't know when I got the dent, but it wasn't there when I bought the jeep so I know I did it. I tend to bang up parts most people don't like my tranny pan.
Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #7440
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevino View Post
I've only had problems removing the skid the first time I had to do it. After that its only two bolts that actually have to be removed. The other two only have to be unthreaded a bit to give room to wiggle the skid free. I've done it on the trail to remove a stuck t stat. Just remove it one day at home to see what's involved and decide on keeping it or not. I keep mines on as it does have a dent. Don't know when I got the dent, but it wasn't there when I bought the jeep so I know I did it. I tend to bang up parts most people don't like my tranny pan.
My transmission pan looks like it has lost a few battles... even through I have all the skids included in the Up Country package...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.