What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 495 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #7411
theskier74
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Why only 1/4? Did you check the dip stick before and after oil change?
thats the problem...why so little came out. not before oil change, but after yes. it was a little below "full"...i put 5.28 i...which is know is .32 less than actually full but it should not make that much of a difference...am i just burning my oil in the winter or is it building up? should i now be worried about sludge or where all my oil is going?

Unread 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #7412
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskier74 View Post
thats the problem...why so little came out. not before oil change, but after yes. it was a little below "full"...i put 5.28 i...which is know is .32 less than actually full but it should not make that much of a difference...am i just burning my oil in the winter or is it building up? should i now be worried about sludge or where all my oil is going?
Could be any of the above.... you won't know without checking your oil on a regular basis. Even if it has never used oil before, doesn't mean it isn't using it now. Also, watch for any drips on the driveway, etc. Always check your oil level before you change it, and always get oil as hot as possible... hot oil brings sludge out with it, cold oil does not.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #7413
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The fact that you put 5.28 quarts in it and it was a "Little below full" would lead me to believe that whatever oil was in the crankcase came out. The real question is "how much oil came out"? Was it actually only 1/4 the normal amount, or did it just look that way? We won't know the answer to this question without frequent oil level checks.
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #7414
theskier74
2001 WJ 

thanks guys! and it was about that...it was a 5 gallon bucket and it was probably only 2 inches deep...maybe 1.5 inches deep. i dont know what that comes out to but there wasnt a lot. less than usual thats for sure. the oil was hot when i changed it...when should i next check my dipstick? about halfway to next oil change? and if a little low throw in like a quart or so
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #7415
pyrrhus00

Put 3000 miles on her in the past week going alabama-ohio-alabama-texas-alabama, and the texas bit of that with 4 adults, an 8 month old puppy, and entirely too much junk in the vehicle!

Turns out doing plugs/fluids helps the fuel economy - averaged 19.4 mpg for the whole trip.
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #7416
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks guys! and it was about that...it was a 5 gallon bucket and it was probably only 2 inches deep...maybe 1.5 inches deep. i dont know what that comes out to but there wasnt a lot. less than usual thats for sure. the oil was hot when i changed it...when should i next check my dipstick? about halfway to next oil change? and if a little low throw in like a quart or so
Until you figure out what is going on, I would check the oil at least once a week. If there seems to rapid loss of oil, you might have to step this up to a couple times a week or even daily. Checking fluid level is free.... engines are not.

When oil is at the "ADD" mark, it is one quart low. You don't want to run the engine more than a quart low, but you also do NOT want to over fill it. Over filling can do as much damage as running engine low on oil. If in doubt about how much to add, add less than you think it needs, run engine, then after a few minutes check oil level again. As I stated in my other post, I think you **probably** have (assuming your estimate of the amount of oil that came out is correct) an oil loss issue, not a sludge issue.. the question is, do you have a leak, or is the engine burning oil. If burning oil, how much, and in how many miles? BTW, I forgot to tell you, keep a log of your oil level checks, date, miles, and approximate oil level. I assume you know to let motor sit for about two minutes after shutting it off, and be on level ground before checking oil levels.
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #7417
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

Changed oil pressure switch. Hardest part was getting the retainer clip off the wire plug. Sumbish was dirty
forumrunner_20120104_161424.jpg  

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #7418
theskier74
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Until you figure out what is going on, I would check the oil at least once a week. If there seems to rapid loss of oil, you might have to step this up to a couple times a week or even daily. Checking fluid level is free.... engines are not.

When oil is at the "ADD" mark, it is one quart low. You don't want to run the engine more than a quart low, but you also do NOT want to over fill it. Over filling can do as much damage as running engine low on oil. If in doubt about how much to add, add less than you think it needs, run engine, then after a few minutes check oil level again. As I stated in my other post, I think you **probably** have (assuming your estimate of the amount of oil that came out is correct) an oil loss issue, not a sludge issue.. the question is, do you have a leak, or is the engine burning oil. If burning oil, how much, and in how many miles? BTW, I forgot to tell you, keep a log of your oil level checks, date, miles, and approximate oil level. I assume you know to let motor sit for about two minutes after shutting it off, and be on level ground before checking oil levels.
i will do all this...thanks a ton man!
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #7419
pincheburro956
2000 XJ Cherokee 

changed out the rear shock bushings. Now my rear end doesnt make noise. LOL...

also, changed out both upper and lower ball joints on the pass side. was a bi**ch. broke 2 sockets and a ratchet. good thing Sears swapped out all of my broken tools with no problems....

99 WJ, 4.7L, Quadratrac, 245/75/16.

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #7420
liquidxit2
2002 WJ 

Put the cargo husky liner in.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 low output quadradrive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein 5100, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in exhaust with flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, Custom K and N FIPK, modded airbox with ram air, Fastman 71mm Throttle body, PML RFE Deep pan, Autometer digital trans temp gauge, P.I.E. aux adapter, Infinity reference 3.5/6x9/6.5, 200w inverter, surco rack, front/rear/cargo husky liners.
WJ Build!
liquidxit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #7421
sherker55
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I'd be checking each time you fill up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMcD View Post
She said call her when your over 4"
sherker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #7422
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ordered an 18v Ryobi impact last night to go with the rest of my one+ set. Got the p260, which has 200 ft lbs. Sweet deal on eBay brand new. Waiting at an ihop right now to pick up a brand new Ryobi lithium hammer set for the battery and charger for $40 to add to my set. Also ordered ingersoll rand flip lugnut impact sockets too keep in the trunk so I can handle the lugs on anyone else's rig.

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #7423
liquidxit2
2002 WJ 

Drove it to work and found out that the p.i.e. aux adapter is no longer working...
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 low output quadradrive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein 5100, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in exhaust with flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, Custom K and N FIPK, modded airbox with ram air, Fastman 71mm Throttle body, PML RFE Deep pan, Autometer digital trans temp gauge, P.I.E. aux adapter, Infinity reference 3.5/6x9/6.5, 200w inverter, surco rack, front/rear/cargo husky liners.
WJ Build!
liquidxit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #7424
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Drove to the gym and found out that the passenger side heat isn't really working. Got the parking lot and heard my EVAP Purge thing under the hood happily clicking away. Only in a Jeep. D*** blend doors (Oh, I have manual controls for the HVAC system too, only my luck)
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #7425
cbailey_21
1999 WJ 

What did I do to my wj today... What DIDN'T I do to my wj today..

image-2040495946.jpg

All started as a waterpump/ thermostat job but I decided I wanted to check all the hoses and what not so I pulled the radiator, the electric and mechanical fan, thermostat out, water pump out, front skid plate off, front grille off, the fan housing, the cowling above the radiator, and the air filter housing.
Im In the process of getting a new water pump, new thermostat,new air filter and housing, buying hid bulbs for my headlights, and getting engine degreaser to clean up my oil/ coolant spill of an engine compartment.
[QUOTE=smuggler;13038059]Ah yes that is a common Jeep thing, weird noises after wheelin'. This is how you fix it. You have to go wheelin' again, but in reverse. Once you get done the clunk should be gone.[/QUOTE]

MODS: BDS 2" coils, Bilstein 5100 struts, 17"Moab takeoffs, 245/65/17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Addco 1" Rear Swaybar, Energy Suspension greasable swaybar bushings, westin tail light guards, Rancho HD Steering stabilizer, Freedom Edition running boards, Spyder Halo Foglights, Rola Vortex roof rack.
cbailey_21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.