What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 458 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #6856
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ
Drove to Ohio for a Christmas party at my buddy's house this past weekend, a few miles away from arriving the rear end of my Jeep went out. Of course being 100 miles from home with no tools and no lights at night, there was no way that I was going to be able to inspect anything myself short of a quick visual inspection from the outside.

I was able to limp it the remaining few miles up the road in 4wd and then had to pay big bucks to get it towed the 100 miles home the next day. I opened up the rear diff yesterday to find this.

The previous owner whom I bought the Jeep from was a Jeep tech at a dealership. He regeared it to 4.56's by himself with the help of another tech who had done gearing before. I did some searching around on this forum about this happening to others and the general consensus was that the bolts were not torqued down correctly or loctite was not used. Obviously by looking at the bolt threads I see zero traces of loctite. The ring gear bolts had either completely backed all of the way out or had sheared off. I took a good look at the ring and pinion without the case out and couldn't see any chipped or messed up teeth but I didn't want to risk it by just replacing the ring gear bolts and had it towed to the shop anyways.

I'm hoping for some good news in that the ring and pinion and case are all fine, if not I have a feeling its going to get expensive and quick.
I would say to
Torque them down...star pattern...90 lbs...IIRC

But, that may be the wrong answer.

PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #6857
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
I would say to
Torque them down...star pattern...90 lbs...IIRC

But, that may be the wrong answer.
The ones that didn't fully back out completely sheared off. I would have to remove the case and drill them out, then hope that nothing else was messed up. I hate to submit to actually having to take my Jeep to someone to get fixed since I normally do all of my own work, but messing around with gears and knowing if something is damaged just by looking at it is above my head this time.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #6858
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
The ones that didn't fully back out completely sheared off. I would have to remove the case and drill them out, then hope that nothing else was messed up. I hate to submit to actually having to take my Jeep to someone to get fixed since I normally do all of my own work, but messing around with gears and knowing if something is damaged just by looking at it is above my head this time.
That's no shame man. I do all my own work, but I leave gears to the professionals. It's worth it.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #6859
Terminator2

Started cutting my fenders yesterday. Those rear fenders are such a pain to cut all the way through because the double thick metal. It was the first sheet metal cutting I have done like this so I took my time. It took me 2.5 hours to do just one rear fender, pinch weld, and plastic on rear bumper, about 1 hour was spent just cleaning up the sharp edges and gorilla gluing the two pieces of metal back together. Now that I know what to expect I think I can get the other rear done in less than 2 hours. The gorilla glue is holding the two pieces of metal together like a champ so far. Need to sand the gorilla glue down, then calk any holes that are left and need to pickup some spray in bedliner in a can to finish up. Doing the other rear fender this weekend as it is dark by the time I get home this time of year. Front fenders are not double thick so it should be easier than the rear except right at the rocker, the pinch weld, and the front part of the fender right where the bumper bolts up. I will post pics when I am finished. Gained 1.75" of clearance height in the rear (3.5" of width across so wheel well now measures 38.5" across as opposed to ~35" stock), would have liked to be able to cut another 1.0" higher but the rear wheel wheel height is only 1.75-2.0" max height inside and I wanted the fender line to be smooth not hacked up looking. The wheel wheel opening flows very nicely with the rear door now.

Front fenders are getting opened up about 3.25" up top and at least another 2.0-3.0" down the plastic bumper and door line (I will likely taper it because I already cut about 1.0-2.0" off the bumper), front pinch welds will be gone which makes 1.0" of extra room when turning and I will take a BFH to the inner wheel well near the pinch weld to smooth it out some. I should have enough room when I am done to run 35s with only 4" of lift or 37s with 6" of lift (my goal is to run 37 x 12.50 15 pitpull rocker radials). Should have waited before I bought my 31s because 33s will easily fit once I am done cutting with just the BB. Oh well I will be able to disconnect without any worry of rubbing no matter what.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #6860
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisBlade View Post
1. Picked up my JK rims
2. Bought this. http://www.hhokitsdirect.com/Black_F...ut_Sale772.php
Im interested w/ No.2. Can you explain more about it and how much for the total Kit? Thanks...
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #6861
Dasko
2001 WJ 

Well I accidently put this pic in the wrong thread so if admin sees it in the picture thread please delete it. Thanks

Anyway new steering wheel grip thingie. Not bad being that it was free. Score!

Sent from my Mobile Thing using JeepForum

Sent from my Mobile Thing using JeepForum
forumrunner_20111208_095352.jpg  

2001 WJ- SOLD

[QUOTE=mrJ]It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.[/QUOTE][/CENTER]
Dasko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #6862
rockcrawlernut
2004 WJ 

Did the ZJ washer bottle mod today. I picked the ZJ washer bottle up from Pick-N-Pull a few weeks ago. I think it was $12.00 with the pumps. All though I didn't use them I used the stock WJ pumps. It took longer to remove the stock washer bottle then it did to install the new one.

[/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT]

[CENTER][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-rock-dog-1284108/"]*--->Rockcrawlernut's Build Thread<---*[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
rockcrawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #6863
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawlernut View Post
Did the ZJ washer bottle mod today. I picked the ZJ washer bottle up from Pick-N-Pull a few weeks ago. I think it was $12.00 with the pumps. All though I didn't use them I used the stock WJ pumps. It took longer to remove the stock washer bottle then it did to install the new one.

I got my stock bottle out in less than two minutes just 3 bolts, 2 hoses and a couple electrical connectors. I just threw mine out. I do not use washer fluid ever really.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #6864
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
Started cutting my fenders yesterday. Those rear fenders are such a pain to cut all the way through because the double thick metal. It was the first sheet metal cutting I have done like this so I took my time. It took me 2.5 hours to do just one rear fender, pinch weld, and plastic on rear bumper, about 1 hour was spent just cleaning up the sharp edges and gorilla gluing the two pieces of metal back together. Now that I know what to expect I think I can get the other rear done in less than 2 hours. The gorilla glue is holding the two pieces of metal together like a champ so far. Need to sand the gorilla glue down, then calk any holes that are left and need to pickup some spray in bedliner in a can to finish up. Doing the other rear fender this weekend as it is dark by the time I get home this time of year. Front fenders are not double thick so it should be easier than the rear except right at the rocker, the pinch weld, and the front part of the fender right where the bumper bolts up. I will post pics when I am finished. Gained 1.75" of clearance height in the rear (3.5" of width across so wheel well now measures 38.5" across as opposed to ~35" stock), would have liked to be able to cut another 1.0" higher but the rear wheel wheel height is only 1.75-2.0" max height inside and I wanted the fender line to be smooth not hacked up looking. The wheel wheel opening flows very nicely with the rear door now.

Front fenders are getting opened up about 3.25" up top and at least another 2.0-3.0" down the plastic bumper and door line (I will likely taper it because I already cut about 1.0-2.0" off the bumper), front pinch welds will be gone which makes 1.0" of extra room when turning and I will take a BFH to the inner wheel well near the pinch weld to smooth it out some. I should have enough room when I am done to run 35s with only 4" of lift or 37s with 6" of lift (my goal is to run 37 x 12.50 15 pitpull rocker radials). Should have waited before I bought my 31s because 33s will easily fit once I am done cutting with just the BB. Oh well I will be able to disconnect without any worry of rubbing no matter what.
pics please? this has been plaguing my mind on how to tackle the job lately
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #6865
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

X2

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #6866
Linus
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawlernut View Post

i see a lot of people do this, what's the advantage of swapping washer bottles?
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #6867
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus

i see a lot of people do this, what's the advantage of swapping washer bottles?
The stock one is behind the fog light. When you get bigger tires they tend to reach out and do a bottle delete for you. The mod puts it under the hood out of harms way.
roadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #6868
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcrew View Post
The stock one is behind the fog light. When you get bigger tires they tend to reach out and do a bottle delete for you. The mod puts it under the hood out of harms way.
Again, I learn sum thin knew today..
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #6869
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Bought used bumstops and inexpensive wrenches...
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #6870
Linus
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcrew View Post
cool, is there a write up on the swap?
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.