What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 436 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #6526
rickcricket
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyhasadd2
Going to the dealer in the morning to see what ALL is leaking, i told them im leaking from behind the oil filter its pretty bad, 500 miles and my dip stick says to add oil. Filter is tight and not a double gasket. I know my ps pump is leaking but i really care more about the oil leak. I would like to be able to park on the drive way and not worry about oil marks every second. Any ideas i should mention cause they think its just the ps pump but i know its oil too
I was leaking oil badly awhile ago and it was my oil pressure switch that was causing the leak. It is right behind the oil filter. Have you had pressure problems on your gauges?

rickcricket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #6527
Terminator2

I picked up a set of 8 mm wheel spacers this morning ($23 total at Advance Auto) so I can mount my front wheels without grinding a crap ton of metal off of my calipers (they hit really badly not just a little). I do not care much for spacers but I mainly hate the kind that bolt up then have their own studs placed into an aluminum flange because the aluminum flange is not as strong as a typical cast iron hub and they tend to break. The flanges on these steel wheels are about 5-6mm thinner than my old aluminum wheels so having roughly 2-3 mm less threads on the lug studs does not bother me. Wheels are going to stick out 8 mm more than they already do (120 mm) so 128 mm or 5.04 inches over stock on each side.

My Daystar 2" BB should be here by friday or next monday and I will have it installed on Wednesday the 30th. It needs the 2" of lift for sure otherwise those tires are gong to do some custom body work and a washer bottle and fog light delete.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #6528
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I picked up a set of 8 mm wheel spacers this morning ($23 total at Advance Auto) so I can mount my front wheels without grinding a crap ton of metal off of my calipers (they hit really badly not just a little). I do not care much for spacers but I mainly hate the kind that bolt up then have their own studs placed into an aluminum flange because the aluminum flange is not as strong as a typical cast iron hub and they tend to break. The flanges on these steel wheels are about 5-6mm thinner than my old aluminum wheels so having roughly 2-3 mm less threads on the lug studs does not bother me. Wheels are going to stick out 8 mm more than they already do (120 mm) so 128 mm or 5.04 inches over stock on each side.

My Daystar 2" BB should be here by friday or next monday and I will have it installed on Wednesday the 30th. It needs the 2" of lift for sure otherwise those tires are gong to do some custom body work and a washer bottle and fog light delete.

Are you talking about this type of spacer being used to get you the additional 8mm? If so, never use more than one per wheel and the torque wrench is your friend.

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #6529
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Are you talking about this type of spacer being used to get you the additional 8mm? If so, never use more than one per wheel and the torque wrench is your friend.

They are just 8mm wafer spacers that use the existing studs and if it were not for the much thinner wheel hub of the steel wheels I would have concerns about the length of the studs. Those in the pic look like they have their own built in studs and that is where those type of spacers tend to fail the aluminum cracks and the studs break away and the wheel falls off. Yes I know to never stack spacers.
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #6530
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcricket View Post
I was leaking oil badly awhile ago and it was my oil pressure switch that was causing the leak. It is right behind the oil filter. Have you had pressure problems on your gauges?
My gauges are all normal, the oil pressure shows a little high but i feel like every wj does this
Colorado Jeep Club Member#259
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #6531
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

been pretty busy. But the last 2 days I've done:
Oil/filter change
new hood struts
New battery
New marine terminals
redid the jeep battery wires
Throttle body cleaning
replaced the IAC (after trying to clean the org one and breaking it)
Gas 2x times this week.
engine degrease
hit a toyota with the corner of the 6x14 trailer... oops
Working on a few other things today too! been busy!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #6532
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They are just 8mm wafer spacers that use the existing studs and if it were not for the much thinner wheel hub of the steel wheels I would have concerns about the length of the studs. Those in the pic look like they have their own built in studs and that is where those type of spacers tend to fail the aluminum cracks and the studs break away and the wheel falls off. Yes I know to never stack spacers.

Those are thin aluminum spacers, about .25 inch thick, maybe a little less. No separate studs, the spacer just slides over the axle's studs. In my situation, my 8.8 was build with longer wheel studs that are common with race cars, which is a good idea if you are using axle under a race car. Not so good under a Jeep, so I have since tossed the spacers and replaced the wheel studs with OEM style studs. My problems were caused by having two of these spacers stacked together.. I didn't know at the time that was a big no no. Even with just one spacer, if you do not have wheels torqued correctly, the spacer will crack, fall apart, then you will quickly have bigger problems like lug studs shearing off. Like five of them within seconds.
It's amazing what you can learn at the school of hard knocks.
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #6533
Terminator2

Quote:
Those are thin aluminum spacers, about .25 inch thick, maybe a little less. No separate studs, the spacer just slides over the axle's studs. In my situation, my 8.8 was build with longer wheel studs that are common with race cars, which is a good idea if you are using axle under a race car. Not so good under a Jeep, so I have since tossed the spacers and replaced the wheel studs with OEM style studs. My problems were caused by having two of these spacers stacked together.. I didn't know at the time that was a big no no. Even with just one spacer, if you do not have wheels torqued correctly, the spacer will crack, fall apart, then you will quickly have bigger problems like lug studs shearing off. Like five of them within seconds.
It's amazing what you can learn at the school of hard knocks.
Wow that sucks. Mine are 8 mm thick so about 0.25". I am using only one with the stock length studs. I need 5-6 mm to clear the calipers up front and I would rather not take that much metal off them if I do not have to. I will torque to 100 ft/lbs like I normally do. I always check and re-torque after the first tightening. I wish the spacer was cast iron or steel but they had only aluminum ones.
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #6534
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

Just dumped in some UV dye to find out exactly where all my leaks are coming from
Colorado Jeep Club Member#259
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #6535
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow that sucks. Mine are 8 mm thick so about 0.25". I am using only one with the stock length studs. I need 5-6 mm to clear the calipers up front and I would rather not take that much metal off them if I do not have to. I will torque to 100 ft/lbs like I normally do. I always check and re-torque after the first tightening. I wish the spacer was cast iron or steel but they had only aluminum ones.
From what I understand, they use these spacers on race cars and there is no issue with using them as long as you don't stack them, and you correctly torque your lug nuts.... The guy that built my 8.8 must have a little race car experience in his background as he built the axle with as much over kill as he could, plus he used lug studs, lug nuts, and these wheel spacers which are all common with race cars from my understanding. Nothing wrong with these longer high tensell (spell?) studs, just not the best choice for a Jeep that is in mud and on rocks.
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #6536
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Took mine to the dunes the other day.
It needs suspension work. The rear clunks badly over big bumps (I think the shocks are too short) and the front bottoms out, I think the bumpstops need to be extended.

Found a friend out there too.

Huge storm surge at the Jetty. (Eureka CA)
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #6537
Terminator2

Quote:
From what I understand, they use these spacers on race cars and there is no issue with using them as long as you don't stack them, and you correctly torque your lug nuts.... The guy that built my 8.8 must have a little race car experience in his background as he built the axle with as much over kill as he could, plus he used lug studs, lug nuts, and these wheel spacers which are all common with race cars from my understanding. Nothing wrong with these longer high tensell (spell?) studs, just not the best choice for a Jeep that is in mud and on rocks.
I think for you the killer was the torque exerted on the lug studs themselves. With them being super long and the wheel hub being out about a half an inch on them, the torque on the studs was much greater than normal and all it took was time and maybe the lugs being a tad loose for you to have that mishap.
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #6538
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think for you the killer was the torque exerted on the lug studs themselves. With them being super long and the wheel hub being out about a half an inch on them, the torque on the studs was much greater than normal and all it took was time and maybe the lugs being a tad loose for you to have that mishap.
I don't it happened in the same order as you do,,, having two spacers stacked (big no no), caused one of the spacers, or or both of them? to crack and crumble in a million little pieces,,,, once the spacers fell out, the wheel & 33 inch tire had 0.50 inch to flex out which is when the torque popped the wheel studs at the base like they were made out of peppermint. Literally, I pulled out of a parking lot onto a busy road, I kind of got my foot into the throttle body, and heard pop, pop, pop, about 4 times. Within about 50 foot there were 4 lug bolts evenly spaced, and at the beginning of the mess was what was left of my wheel spacers, what you see and a lot of dust and smaller pieces.
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #6539
Terminator2

Quote:
I don't it happened in the same order as you do,,, having two spacers stacked (big no no), caused the spacers, or or both of them? to crack and crumble in a million little pieces,,,, once the spacers fell out, the wheel & 33 inch tire had 0.50 inch to flex out which is when the torque popped the wheel studs at the base like they were made out of peppermint. Literally, I pulled out of a parking lot onto a busy road, I kind of got my foot into the throttle body, and heard pop, pop, pop, about 4 times. Within about 50 foot there were 4 lug bolts evenly spaced, and at the beginning of the mess was what was left of my wheel spacers, what you see and a lot of dust and smaller pieces.
Ah got you. I did not realize the spacers actually crumbled. I thought the studs broke which broke the spacers. That makes sense though if they crumbled the wheel was just wobbling on the studs and it did not last long like that. I guess it is very good idea to inspect my spacers every time I rotate my tires (every 3-6K miles depending how hard I drive).
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #6540
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

Cleaned the iac on the 01 throttle body I bought.
Before...

After...

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.