What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 3038 - JeepForum.com
 1107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #45556 of 45753 Old 09-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
lots and lots got done today. Replaced rear spider gears, wheel bearings, & wheel seals. Installed a LubeLocker as well. Bearings went on easier than I thought they would. I just used a scrap piece of unistrut which slid over the axle and landed perfectly on the inner race. Wacked it down on the bearing a few dozen times and bearings seated easily.

Took most of the day to get that done. Then I washed & waxed the Jeep as I'm thinking if I wax it a lot, it will seal up any scratches & dings in the paint preventing rust. Took it for a test drive after & Thumper's thump is 90% gone. I can barely get it to happen if I try so I'm happy. 200,000miles wear on the ring & pinion + normal spider gear backlash is what I believe is the cause of the tiny remaining thump.

Once I got home from the test drive, I ran the last 6" wire to get my rabbit ear lights hooked up, and then cleaned out the interior. Tomorrow is the Jeep clubs monthly "Jeeps & Java" event. They go on a trail ride after but as I'm currently 2wd & I'm sjust starting the spider gear break in period, I won't be going on the trail ride.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #45557 of 45753 Old 09-24-2017, 09:23 AM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Yesterday I replaced the power steering pump twice. The first one was leaking, I think due to me cracking the reservoir installing the pulley. Then I changed the cabin air filter, added new front slotted drilled rotors with pads (the ebc pads with ebc rotor lasted only a year and I won't ever buy them again due to high cost), and I fixed my rotational noise by replacing the front hub (the last one lasted only one year). Today I plan to replace the ignition lock cylinder and do a block test. It gets hot going uphill accellerating and got near red a couple times when the hydraulic fan died a year ago and I was limping to a dealer. My fear is a warped head. Fingers crossed it is something not so expensive to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0364.jpg  

Brian's Black Betty Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45558 of 45753 Old 09-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Jeep club coffee this morning. Then I took the long way home, careful to not drive more than 50 miles without letting the rear axle cool down.

Spent part of the afternoon clay barring a section of roof near my light bar. A month or so back I drilled a couple holes in the bar for new lights. At the Jeep club event I noticed what I thought was just dead bugs on my roof was actually the metal flakes from drilling the holes stuck to the paint & rusting. I got lucky in that a clay bar got the majority of the flakes & rust stains off.

Spent the rest of the day indoors due to the heat & just before dark I headed out to the shop & started working on the new floor for my center console bin. I was hoping to come up with a non-conductive solution but after a month of thinking on it, I've come to the conclusion I'm not going to get the formability & stiffness I want with anything other than steel. All my accessory wiring is currently tucked in every nook & cranny under there. I'm planning on shortening the bin & neatly organizing the wiring in the free'd space.

Project Thumper:

post #45559 of 45753 Old 09-24-2017, 09:04 PM
fayceoff
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
Jeep club coffee this morning. Then I took the long way home, careful to not drive more than 50 miles without letting the rear axle cool down.

Spent part of the afternoon clay barring a section of roof near my light bar. A month or so back I drilled a couple holes in the bar for new lights. At the Jeep club event I noticed what I thought was just dead bugs on my roof was actually the metal flakes from drilling the holes stuck to the paint & rusting. I got lucky in that a clay bar got the majority of the flakes & rust stains off.

Spent the rest of the day indoors due to the heat & just before dark I headed out to the shop & started working on the new floor for my center console bin. I was hoping to come up with a non-conductive solution but after a month of thinking on it, I've come to the conclusion I'm not going to get the formability & stiffness I want with anything other than steel. All my accessory wiring is currently tucked in every nook & cranny under there. I'm planning on shortening the bin & neatly organizing the wiring in the free'd space.
Fiberglass won't work?

"It's almost always cheaper to it right than it is to do it twice." - Dad

"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - Gen. James Mattis
post #45560 of 45753 Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayceoff View Post
Fiberglass won't work?
Hadn't thought of that. My mind was thinking I needed some flat material I could rivet/screw into the sides for the floor.

If I can't get the steel the way I want I'll give it a try. All I really need is a bottom as I've already cut down a bin. If I do fiberglass, I'll probably make an entirely new bin.

Project Thumper:

post #45561 of 45753 Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 PM
ShinyWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJeepWJ View Post
Did you go with an all aluminum radiator?
No, I put in a used factory radiator. I thought about going with one of those but I already had this one on hand and the no-name aftermarket one that was leaking just needed to go.

2002 WJ Limited | 4.7 | Quadra-Drive | Inferno Red Pearl | Dark Slate Gray
post #45562 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 07:13 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
No, just no.

In fact, that should be a bannable offense.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #45563 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 07:32 AM
steve_80
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I just ate a maple bacon doughnut.

It has nothing to do with WJs but I thought you all should know.

Attachment 3475058
As a bonus to the deliciousness, you can use it as coolant when you puke it up.
post #45564 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM
4WDlifeform
2004 WJ 

Mashed up the rear quarter. We took it easy all day, then on the way out, thought I'd hit this "Hell's Gate" looking spot... wedged it up when the rear slid down. Wasn't enough on passenger to keep the tire up on the ridge. My spotter was pretty green, but he had a winch and got me out! Great day!

Started out good:

Then went down hill...

'04 WJ 4.0, 300k miles! 2" Coils 255/70 AT on JK take-offs
'14 KL 3.2 Trailhawk - !!FOR SALE!!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #45565 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

^ That'll buff out.

Spent yesterday swapping track bars between my Jeep and the wife's. Still getting DW, even with a JKS track bar and KOR bushings, so I guess the good news is my Zon bushings may still be good as I got DW in the same spots with either track bar.

Went ahead and rotated my tires to try and rule them out and in the process found a nice 2 inch nail in my passenger rear tire, so I went ahead and swapped the spare and ran into DW in the same couple of spots on the road.

At this point I've only got a couple things it could be:

Caster- Not really leaning towards this since I didn't have any issues for the first 8 months or so after installing my lift. Regardless, I'll check it sometime this week and then also drop the lower control arms to inspect the bushings.

Hub Assemblies- No play when checking them with the wheel off the ground, but I do believe they are the OE units with almost 200K on them.

Gear box- No leaks, but again, it is the OE box with almost 200K. There is some play, but not really what I would call excessive.

At this point I'm really stumped.

There's no play in my TRE's, ball joints are less than 2 weeks old, all of the control arm (and axle) bushings are Clevite replacements with less than a year on them and appear to be in good shape. Track back bolt holes aren't wallowed out and the track bar is torqued down beyond the OE torque spec.

The fact that I didn't have any issues with DW for 8 months or so after my lift tells me it's something that has worn out, it's just a matter of what.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #45566 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
^ That'll buff out.

Spent yesterday swapping track bars between my Jeep and the wife's. Still getting DW, even with a JKS track bar and KOR bushings, so I guess the good news is my Zon bushings may still be good as I got DW in the same spots with either track bar.

Went ahead and rotated my tires to try and rule them out and in the process found a nice 2 inch nail in my passenger rear tire, so I went ahead and swapped the spare and ran into DW in the same couple of spots on the road.

At this point I've only got a couple things it could be:

Caster- Not really leaning towards this since I didn't have any issues for the first 8 months or so after installing my lift. Regardless, I'll check it sometime this week and then also drop the lower control arms to inspect the bushings.

Hub Assemblies- No play when checking them with the wheel off the ground, but I do believe they are the OE units with almost 200K on them.

Gear box- No leaks, but again, it is the OE box with almost 200K. There is some play, but not really what I would call excessive.

At this point I'm really stumped.

There's no play in my TRE's, ball joints are less than 2 weeks old, all of the control arm (and axle) bushings are Clevite replacements with less than a year on them and appear to be in good shape. Track back bolt holes aren't wallowed out and the track bar is torqued down beyond the OE torque spec.

The fact that I didn't have any issues with DW for 8 months or so after my lift tells me it's something that has worn out, it's just a matter of what.
I'd try the Hubs first. They're on my to do list. With the wheel on the ground I had no play but when I had them removed(to change balljoints) I saw a lot of play in my drivers side. I'm still having minor DWish vibrations since my alignment was a mile off(I think it was something like 1 13/16" toed in)

Project Thumper:

post #45567 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 PM
GhostJeepWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Ouch! But hey like Jeeples said, that should buff right out!! That's a nasty little rut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform View Post
Mashed up the rear quarter. We took it easy all day, then on the way out, thought I'd hit this "Hell's Gate" looking spot... wedged it up when the rear slid down. Wasn't enough on passenger to keep the tire up on the ridge. My spotter was pretty green, but he had a winch and got me out! Great day!

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission!!

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO
2" IRO Spring Lift w/Bilstein 5100s 245/75/R17 Goodyear Armour Shield

post #45568 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 PM
Chasespeed
1999 WJ 

Haven't been on here in a while...

Solved the death wobble in the spring....Kevin's hard bushings in my old JKS trac bar....

Made linkage so the parking brakes work on my swapped in jk d44.

Had the 42re gone through a couple weeks ago.

Full upgrade. Including shift kit.

This weekend, did plugs, oil change, and a lube job.

Chase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maxfederle89 likes this.
post #45569 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 PM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

There's a company now offering rear quarter panel guards. That would have saved you. For that section you should have walked it a few times and not used a spotter. Easier said now though. That' part of wheeling, breaking, fixing and hopefully learning along the way.

Brian's Black Betty Build:
post #45570 of 45753 Old 09-25-2017, 10:11 PM
Soem0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i View Post
There's a company now offering rear quarter panel guards. That would have saved you. For that section you should have walked it a few times and not used a spotter. Easier said now though. That' part of wheeling, breaking, fixing and hopefully learning along the way.
Yeah I know mountain vista fabrication makes some for a decent price. On my list for sure.

Tags
wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.