What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 3010 - JeepForum.com
 861Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #45136 of 45152 Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 PM
fayceoff
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I realized I have a set of adjustable front upper control arms in my shed. I thought they were rear lowers and I didn't need them, so I was pulling them out to sell them. Now I have a question: does anyone know how long I should make them to install them? I need to shift my axle forward a little. I have almost 5" of lift up front (4" IRO springs with a 3/4" spacer) and I have adjustable LCA's, but I'm running 285/75/16 Firestone Destinations and I wanna remount my RRO sliders, but the tires would rub (I already trimmed the front fenders and I'm not running a bumper).

I was thinking making the UCA's about an inch to an inch and a half longer than the stock ones would just about do it. Anyone have input?

"It's almost always cheaper to it right than it is to do it twice." - Dad

"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - Gen. James Mattis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #45137 of 45152 Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM
MrAb3z
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakinOil View Post
Thanks. Not sure yet I might change a couple things. The motors have a high and low settting, but rn I just have it wires for high. You could probably get away with skipping the motors and just running the vents. But I think that would be only a small improvement. There's a couple of other ways to do it that might be easier than what I've done. Like always I didn't take measurements or anything so it would be kinda hard to do a write up, but I'll definitely put as many pics and details of what I've done in my build thread. Still got a couple flaws to work out but aside from making the vents fit the console it was easy. Probably could've done that a easier way too. lol I'm no pro at all with fibergalssing but I try. It was well worth the time. I dread taking the fam out in the jeep when it's hot cause my wife just complains and I look back and see my kids with red cheeks and sweaty brow. My ac probably could use a lil work but when it's dark out, it'll freeze you out so it can't be that bad. I think even if it did work to its full potential it's still probably underpowered for the cabin and no rear vents is just dumb. I still can't believe I did it finally and it works better than I thought lol. Here's a pic of what I started with

Attachment 3390169

If it ain't broke.....Try to break it.....And if it breaks.....Then fix it to where it don't break no more
Please do, this is awesome!
post #45138 of 45152 Old 07-16-2017, 05:30 PM
LeakinOil
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAb3z
Please do, this is awesome!
Thanks. You should be able to get a pretty good idea when I post to my build thread, I think that last pic I posted is the only one I took while making the console. But I'll explain the best I can when I get time. Like I said aside from the vents, It really was simple. I come back on the 22nd so I'll do it not too long after that.

If it ain't broke.....Try to break it.....And if it breaks.....Then fix it to where it don't break no more

post #45139 of 45152 Old 07-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Ran out to do laundry and picked up a sub next door. I was sitting in the back seat of the Jeep since there's more room to eat and it's a little cooler with the window tint. A couple state trooper cars pull into a nearby spot and one approaches the Jeep and glances in the back window where I was then starts staring into the front windows at the front seats. I asked her what she was doing and she said she thought I was a dog.

After, that I went to get car washing supplies and when I got home washed the Jeep with Armorall Ultra Shine wash & wax. I'm hoping the wax will keep the Jeep from getting dirty so quickly. I also picked up microfiber towels at both Dollar Tree (2/$1)and Walmart(10/$4.97). The Walmart ones soaked up everything I threw at them, the dollar tree ones seemed to avoid soaking up anything. I'm going to have to pick up a couple more packs of the Walmart ones. I also detailed the front interior. Didn't get the back seats done as rain moved in and still had my laundry in the back seats.

Now that I've got the Light set up on the roof, my next project will be repairing a couple rust spots on the rear hatch. I'm trying to wrap my head around one spot in particular on the upper corner of the license plate recess that's ~2" diameter with a dent and a crease. Considering wire wheeling all the rust away and then bondo and paint or cutting out the spot and welding in a piece out of another rear hatch, then bondo to blend if necessary and paint. I also need to locate a source for metalic silverstone touch up paint which I've heard is impossible to match.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45140 of 45152 Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 PM
GhostJeepWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Gave LittleFoot an oil change today along with flushing the Transfer case. Both drains looked good. TC was pretty dark so it musta been awhile since it's been changed. I also prepared my oil sample to be sent out to Blackstone labs for oil analysis.
Gave her a nice bath and detail as well, gotta keep the Dub-J clean if she's not playing in the mud!

If you want to achieve greatest, stop asking for permission!!

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO
2" IRO Spring Lift w/Bilstein 5100s 245/75/R17 Goodyear Armour Shield

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45141 of 45152 Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJeepWJ View Post
Gave LittleFoot an oil change today along with flushing the Transfer case. Both drains looked good. TC was pretty dark so it musta been awhile since it's been changed. I also prepared my oil sample to be sent out to Blackstone labs for oil analysis.
Gave her a nice bath and detail as well, gotta keep the Dub-J clean if she's not playing in the mud!
That reminded me I've been wanting to send a sample out, so I just sent for a sample kit.

I have a lot of questions about the longevity of my engine, so much so I've got a high milage replacement on standby and I'm also considering pulling a low mileage used engine(I'm told Jeep has 78,000 miles, rumor I heard the other day says engine was replaced by dealer 20,000 miles ago). I've got to ask my coworker what he wants for it(it's in a private yard, friend of coworker, coworker speculated he'd want $300 for the whole drive train; was told Friday at the same time as the motor replacement rumor, another guy'd looked at it and coworker was suprised by how little he wanted for the drivetrain, but was the wrong engine for the guy.) If I can get a 20k engine and 78k trans & transfer case for cheap, I may just have to pick it up as a spare.

post #45142 of 45152 Old 07-16-2017, 07:31 PM
GhostJeepWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
For $300, I would just for ****s n giggles....lol
New motor of the average is 3-3.5k, thats not including tranny and TC. Do it! I would.
Pull it out clean everything up, replace anything attached to motor, paint block. And give tranny and TC nice cleaning as well. Then seal up and put in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
That reminded me I've been wanting to send a sample out, so I just sent for a sample kit.

I have a lot of questions about the longevity of my engine, so much so I've got a high milage replacement on standby and I'm also considering pulling a low mileage used engine(I'm told Jeep has 78,000 miles, rumor I heard the other day says engine was replaced by dealer 20,000 miles ago). I've got to ask my coworker what he wants for it(it's in a private yard, friend of coworker, coworker speculated he'd want $300 for the whole drive train; was told Friday at the same time as the motor replacement rumor, another guy'd looked at it and coworker was suprised by how little he wanted for the drivetrain, but was the wrong engine for the guy.) If I can get a 20k engine and 78k trans & transfer case for cheap, I may just have to pick it up as a spare.

If you want to achieve greatest, stop asking for permission!!

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO
2" IRO Spring Lift w/Bilstein 5100s 245/75/R17 Goodyear Armour Shield

post #45143 of 45152 Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJeepWJ View Post
For $300, I would just for ****s n giggles....lol
New motor of the average is 3-3.5k, thats not including tranny and TC. Do it! I would.
Pull it out clean everything up, replace anything attached to motor, paint block. And give tranny and TC nice cleaning as well. Then seal up and put in storage.
That's what I'm considering but also have to consider the effect on my wallet. Wallet has been slowly recovering since the lift this spring(too many little Jeep projects). I might have just enough to stash it away but I may also need those funds elsewhere.

post #45144 of 45152 Old 07-16-2017, 08:16 PM
egsauer
1999 WJ 

Wj Replaced my driver side sway bar link

I am off grid and the washboard roads out here aged one of the bushings in my sway bar link.
Got the WJ into the shade, jacked it up, pulled the wheel and soaked the upper and lower bolts and nuts with penetrating oil for a while.
I still had to use a persuader pipe on the top one, but got them both loose. I noticed that even loose, the lower bolt was under load so I tried jacking it up and down, on the ground, off the ground, but no joy. None of the two YouTube videos addressed this and I was concerned that if I removed the bolts it would spring to a position I could not re-align from. At that point my WJ would be offline and that is bad juju at 6000' and far from the paved streets. I checked here and could not find anything so I called a few wrench brothers. My best bro said worry naught, it would only spring a short distance. So back at I went and he was right. Popped the new link in and with a wee bit o persuasion had both bolts in. Checked everything else under there, fixed a loose tranny line clamp, put it all back together and done. Test drive and no clank. Happy camper.
post #45145 of 45152 Old 07-17-2017, 05:03 AM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

5 wheel tire rotation. Whew, what a day!

Build Thread

post #45146 of 45152 Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Went to work and back. Tried showing how bright my roof light was but found the fuse was blown. Got asked where the red light was I found a while back, people couldn't believe it was the same light as I'd cut it in half and painted it black.

I also had a discussion with a coworker and He'll be dropping off the parts WJ('04 Fereedom edition with bad paperwork, $400 for all the parts I want, but won't sell the whole thing, so I'll be stripping the drive train and my wish list of parts and it'll be getting picked up, otherwise it'll be a lot of work out in the weeds) and picking up my old car for $100 as he needs the motor. The coworker has a ramp truck so it'll be easy for him to shuffle the vehicles around. I was hoping for $200 for the car but with all the vehicle shuffling and the grerat deal on parts I can't complain. It also will get one of the "lawn ornaments" out of here.

Also took a quick offroad jaunt on my way home from work to get some pictures for the WJoTM contest. Will be submitting my entry tonight.

post #45147 of 45152 Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM
BDW
2004 WJ 

Installed my IRO skid plate last weekend. Had some contact with the cat, so today I loosened the clamps fore and aft of the converter and lifted the exhaust up a bit with a floor jack, then welded the slip joints in the new position (clamps won't hold a new position once the pipe's been crimped). Problem solved.

04 WJ 4.0/NP242, 3" OME, Bilsteins, 255/75/17 & JKR wheels, 44A, 4.56, ARB lockers, & more
post #45148 of 45152 Old 07-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayceoff View Post
I realized I have a set of adjustable front upper control arms in my shed. I thought they were rear lowers and I didn't need them, so I was pulling them out to sell them. Now I have a question: does anyone know how long I should make them to install them? I need to shift my axle forward a little. I have almost 5" of lift up front (4" IRO springs with a 3/4" spacer) and I have adjustable LCA's, but I'm running 285/75/16 Firestone Destinations and I wanna remount my RRO sliders, but the tires would rub (I already trimmed the front fenders and I'm not running a bumper).

I was thinking making the UCA's about an inch to an inch and a half longer than the stock ones would just about do it. Anyone have input?

Since you have adjustable lowers use them the set your axle in the wheel well, so push them as far forward as you need.

You'll then use your adjustable upper arms to set your pinion/caster angle.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #45149 of 45152 Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 AM
LeakinOil
2004 WJ 

Drove out to the Port Mansfield cut (South Padre Island) for some fishing. Nice 30mi ride down the beach to get there.

Name:  image-2720070920.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  527.5 KB

post #45150 of 45152 Old 07-19-2017, 12:26 AM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
Ran out to do laundry and picked up a sub next door. I was sitting in the back seat of the Jeep since there's more room to eat and it's a little cooler with the window tint. A couple state trooper cars pull into a nearby spot and one approaches the Jeep and glances in the back window where I was then starts staring into the front windows at the front seats. I asked her what she was doing and she said she thought I was a dog.

After, that I went to get car washing supplies and when I got home washed the Jeep with Armorall Ultra Shine wash & wax. I'm hoping the wax will keep the Jeep from getting dirty so quickly. I also picked up microfiber towels at both Dollar Tree (2/$1)and Walmart(10/$4.97). The Walmart ones soaked up everything I threw at them, the dollar tree ones seemed to avoid soaking up anything. I'm going to have to pick up a couple more packs of the Walmart ones. I also detailed the front interior. Didn't get the back seats done as rain moved in and still had my laundry in the back seats.

Now that I've got the Light set up on the roof, my next project will be repairing a couple rust spots on the rear hatch. I'm trying to wrap my head around one spot in particular on the upper corner of the license plate recess that's ~2" diameter with a dent and a crease. Considering wire wheeling all the rust away and then bondo and paint or cutting out the spot and welding in a piece out of another rear hatch, then bondo to blend if necessary and paint. I also need to locate a source for metalic silverstone touch up paint which I've heard is impossible to match.
I hear ya. I sit in the back middle seat all the time. It's much more comfortable than the front and you can put your food or loptop in front of you on the center console.
Ravenbar likes this.

Brian's Black Betty Build:

Tags
wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.