Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your WJ today?

Tags
wj
5M views 53K replies 3K participants last post by  X-Hibition 
#1 ·
Tell us what you did!

Show pics!

I washed mine and Im still waiting for my lift to show up!

I put my new WHEELS and tires on with the jack :)

And replaced driver side axle shaft and changed all diff fluids.

See less See more
#43,663 ·
Started replacing the drivers side exhaust manifold after I found two sheared rear bolts when I was chasing down the cold start lifter tick. Everything came out pretty easily with no battles and I can only sympathize with y'all Jeep owners with rust issues might have to deal with!

I was ready to re-install with new gasket & bolts but did check the exhaust manifold with a straight edge and found it was out greater than .012 :(

Ordered a replacement thru O'Reillys for morning delivery.

#43,664 ·
Started replacing the drivers side exhaust manifold after I found two sheared rear bolts when I was chasing down the cold start lifter tick. Everything came out pretty easily with no battles and I can only sympathize with y'all Jeep owners with rust issues might have to deal with!

I was ready to re-install with new gasket & bolts but did check the exhaust manifold with a straight edge and found it was out greater than .012 :(

Ordered a replacement thru O'Reillys for morning delivery.

Nice, I finished doing this on Sunday...wasn't so easy for me. Though I only had one snapped bolt, I had two round off when I went to remove them. Resulted in cutting the heads off to get the manifold out. I also had to cut all 4 downpipe bolts to get that off.

Luckily for me, I also had ordered a new manifold ahead time, so I never even checked the old one, just swapped it out.

#43,666 ·
Just wondering why you switched out. Was it due to quality or was it just to upgrade to long arms?

Gone is the Rough Country X 4" lift and installed a Clayton Long Arm lift with the transfer case skid and a Spintech 6332 muffler. Now I need to try and keep from buying JKR Dana 44's so I can run 35's...

#43,667 ·
While in the process of picking up a set of rock rails, I also scored a 2002 Overland grille (thank you mattallen).

So the last couple of evening I have been "retrofitting" the grille to my 04. All I have to say , it sure pays to have air and a variety of die grinders.

Please excuse the salt bath it received yesterday.

I did not want to destroy my 04 framing, in case I wanted to revert back to my original, which I still like, but I think the "monotone" with chrome slots is pretty trick looking.

I had to do some major trimming to compensate for the 02 angled slots, and try to not lose the integrity of the vertical supports
Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Another view of the "fine tuning"
Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Countless on and offs, to clear all the interference issues with the outside grille
Automotive parking light Car Grille Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Then all over again with the insert
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Automotive side marker light Car

All I have to do now is paint the inserts black, and visit a buddies body shop and have him squirt some Inferno Red, to make it match a little better.

While I was at it, I made my ride an official off roader, LOL
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light

#43,668 ·
Not really sure why you would want to make your 2004 look like the older model......most folks go the other way...LOL. Each to his own I guess but I much prefer the later parallel slotted grille. Also the bottom corners are a slightly different radius on the 04 models to the rest so the older grilles don't fit quite so nicely as the 04 one.

#43,670 ·
Not really sure why you would want to make your 2004 look like the older model......most folks go the other way...LOL. Each to his own I guess but I much prefer the later parallel slotted grille. Also the bottom corners are a slightly different radius on the 04 models to the rest so the older grilles don't fit quite so nicely as the 04 one.
I like both, but even though I am a chrome guy, the 04 is a bit "in your face" chrome, the 02, not so much...just enough.

I still have the option though, since I kept the original framing. It is a matter of taking 6 screws out and snapping the original in.

Anybody who knows Jeeps will see the nicer 04 front fascia and chrome trim side molding, and scratch their head. Kind of a conversation piece, lol

#43,673 ·
Only 04 Overlands have chrome (at least in the UK).....no nasty chrome on my Limited....just a satin silver paint on the insert.....much the same colour as the one you just fitted.

View attachment 3202073
Looks good. I was also contemplating painting the outer grille body color and leaving the insert chrome on my 04, but I don't really want to do it to mine, just in case it look dumb.

I am amazed on how pricey a used grille is. I fell into the 02 while buying other parts, and the price was reasonable.

#43,674 ·
Just wondering why you switched out. Was it due to quality or was it just to upgrade to long arms?
So I wanted to upgrade to the Long Arm and thought about using the RC upgrade kit, but eventually decided against it. The only part of the original lift that was still RC was the cross-member and lower control arms, as the 3 link was the IRO adjustable and the rest of the control arms were JKS adjustables. Honestly it just felt loose and after poring through forums and reviews, I decided against the RC kit or the IRO kit and went with Clayton. I liked that it was all welded in, used Curry Johnnie Joints as opposed to heim joints and was built from .250" square tube steel.
I found plenty of negative reviews from the RC stuff, a few from the IRO kit and absolutely none from the Clayton stuff. After purchase I was a bit concerned I would get buyers remorse from spending so much, but it's honestly been the exact opposite! I love the lift, and am glad that I spent the extra money for the quality. You know what they say; buy once, cry once!

#43,677 ·
After 15 years and ~220,000 miles original alternator gave up the ghost, new 136 Amp alternator installed.

Also initial plasti-dip on hood after the cancer (clear coat peeling) got so bad I took some 300 grit to it. Couple coats of black down, may try the graphite metallizer on part of it to see how it looks - just rattle can for now but may get the dip-your-car kit and do the whole jeep satin graphite. It does self-level remarkably well, just 1.5 cans on so far.

Attachments

#43,680 ·
Installed new shocks, tires and fogs last weekend. New tie rod ends and alignment this weekend. She got a new motor at the beginning of the month after developing a knock in November last year... I feel like this thing is almost new again LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks awesome. What are your lift and tire specs?