Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your WJ today?

Tags
wj
5M views 53K replies 3K participants last post by  X-Hibition 
#1 ·
Tell us what you did!

Show pics!

I washed mine and Im still waiting for my lift to show up!

I put my new WHEELS and tires on with the jack :)

And replaced driver side axle shaft and changed all diff fluids.

See less See more
#43,281 ·
d3m0ns said:
ugh..just wrecked the poor girl..i hope insurace lets me get it back on the road i cant afford not having a vehicle for to long some ***** ran a stop sign and hit my back end which threw it into a powerline no damaged woulda occured if that power line hadn't of been there but it crushed the top corner of the trunk on passenger side and caused both rear tires to pop nothing else got damaged tho from what i could tell..granted it's 2am when i wrecked so i cant see very much..hopefully tommrow morning reviles a better picture
Auch

#43,283 ·
What is this electrical connector to the evap canister and should it be ticking? 99 i6.

Edit: upon doing some research, looks like it is an emissions vapor canister purge value/ solenoid. Rock auto has 3 available from 23-27$ no brand that really sticks out as the best, dorman, airtex, standard motor products being the $27.79.

First off, is this thing bad because it ticks loud, I'm pretty sure it's always done it but today just stuck out to me, it's almost freezing here so maybe the cold effects it?

Do I need to replace it or is that normal and any brand preference?

Thanks
That is normal, it is the purge cylinder putting gas back into the Jeep. If it is ticking loudly, the bushing may be bad. You can buy a new one for like $10 or grab from a junkyard from a newer model

#43,284 ·
Hate when that happens...

I finished installing my rear lower control arms, but didn't replace my stock length Moog front sway bar ends links with the Zone 4" - 5" links. They seemed too long and didn't fit the axle mount like the stockers did. So my suspension is almost done for now. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
Speed bleeders are so worth the $25. One of my favorite mods, even though I only used them once.

#43,285 ·
That is normal, it is the purge cylinder putting gas back into the Jeep. If it is ticking loudly, the bushing may be bad. You can buy a new one for like $10 or grab from a junkyard from a newer model
cool. yeah it is pretty noticeable. but I guess as long as its not affecting anything I might leave it alone until I am making a rockauto order.

#43,288 ·
I am mostly on the ZJ forum, but my brother bought a 2,000 WJ last night and I may have to help him a bit to make his "bargain" a reliable rig.
It was a CL buy with no real inspection from myself or any other with experience with Jeeps in general. It was advertised as having a rebuilt motor and transmission, minimal rust, and some electrical issues including the need for a new battery.

I picked him up this morning and brought him to the sellers house to pick up his new Jeep. He had installed a new battery the night before. The starter barely rotated the motor. I hooked up the jumpers and it still didn't spin the motor well, but did start up. We agreed that I should follow him home. There were a couple of stalls at idle on the 6 mile trip, but he was able to restart it without a jump.

Forward to this afternoon I stopped by to see how things were going with the new(ish) rig were going. He said that the instruments weren't working right and that when he went down the road the speedometer was bouncing from zero to the peg.

I know that on my ZJs the grounds in the engine bay are important to how the electronics work.

I am sure that I missed one or two, but I did clean two grounds on the passenger fender, two on the engine block, and one from the block to the body. At this point the temp was mid teens and I was done working. I had my brother try and fire it up. It popped off immediately and went to a smooth idle.

He called me later and told me that on his next test drive all of the instrument panel was working fine including the speedometer. No stalls.

So far so good, I will be back with questions.

GW

P.S. Pics to follow.
Corroded battery terminals and wiring harness is very common on these. Mine did a similar thing and I replaced the entire harness and never had an issue after...I got the harness from the dealer for ~$150 and put in a new battery with it. May be your issue if it's still the original harness in there...

#43,290 ·
Corroded battery terminals and wiring harness is very common on these. Mine did a similar thing and I replaced the entire harness and never had an issue after...I got the harness from the dealer for ~$150 and put in a new battery with it. May be your issue if it's still the original harness in there...
Mine were caked up with corrosion so I cleaned them up and changed the oil to 5w30 for the winter...

#43,291 ·
why are you gearing a 35, you should have upgraded to a 44a. The 35 is very weak.
my rig rarely sees the splendor of offroad these days...when it does, it's light trail use. if i had the tools, space, time, and extra vehicles to transport axles and such, i would. though even if i went the route of sourcing a 44a, i'd likely need to regear anyway for peace of mind...leaving me out the cost and time without the jeep for the gears + axle swap + combined labor instead of just gears + labor.

#43,297 ·