What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 09-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #301
240impala
2003 WJ 

I drove mine to a local off road store found out they could not get a lift for it. FAIL! After mounted a Mag light in it and about to mound a shovel and ax.

240impala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #302
techRob
2000 WJ 

I used testors transparent spray enamel in candy apple red (1605). that's what everyone else that I've seen do this has used. I don't know where you can find it in stores but I had to order it online. I got mine from here after a bit a googling to try to find the best deal. shipping ends up costing more than the paint itself.

as for the process, I just taped off everything but the amber part of the lens. I didn't sand or clearcoat it because I wasn't sure if I'd like the way it turned out but mostly because I was lazy. if I was to do it again I would recommend sanding. I'll see how it holds up and spray them again if it starts to fade. I put on 3 fairly heavy coats on each and that seemed to be the best color match. I did that about 30-45 minutes apart each time as it dries really fast.

techRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #303
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great, I'll be sure to add that to my list. Does it illuminate red? Also when you say clearcoat... what do you use for that and do you spray the entire thing or just the painted part?

On topic: Got my parking sticker today. Yay!

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #304
cracked
2001 WJ 

Cool thanks for the info. Tech have you thought about painting your cladding? They're either really really faded or you did that on purpose to match the silver.
cracked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #305
techRob
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Looks great, I'll be sure to add that to my list. Does it illuminate red? Also when you say clearcoat... what do you use for that and do you spray the entire thing or just the painted part?
yes, it does illuminate red. I bought amber bulbs because I would prefer them to still light up amber but it looks no different from when I had the clear bulbs.

clear coat is just paint without pigment. it protects the paint underneath and can give a glossier finish. you can buy it wherever you buy regular rattle can paint. I didn't clear coat mine, but if I were going to I would only spray the amber part, so it would essentially just be a fourth coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked View Post
Cool thanks for the info. Tech have you thought about painting your cladding? They're either really really faded or you did that on purpose to match the silver.
yeah, my cladding is really faded. I don't really like the look of painted black cladding unless the rest of the jeep is also dark, so I won't be doing that.

what I would like to do though is get the body-colored cladding from a limited, but I'm not willing to buy them new and then have to paint them to match. I'm just waiting to come across a WJ in a junkyard that's still in decent shape and in the same color. :P maybe I would have more luck if I put that in my sig.
techRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #306
cracked
2001 WJ 

You could paint the cladding silver, I'm guessing it'll look a bit better than it does now and will only cost ~$25.

My jeep is gold and repainting the cladding flat black:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...l#post10133007

I couldn't find a single gold rig w/ freshly painted cladding so I was worried about how well it would turn out, but I'm happy with it. I can't decide if I want to paint the grill black too, I kind of need a new one anyways (the tabs are all breaking off where it screws into place) so I'll probably end up painting it and buying a new one if I don't like the results.
cracked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #307
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

rear rotors,calipers,pads, and shoes replaced, CV boot up front replaced, replaced TPS, cleaned IAC, changed plugs, changed oil... the DubyaJ is running beter than ever, ready to DD the piss out of!
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #308
DRogalOlBlue13
2002 WJ 

I got my WJ prepped to wrench on it, and I am going to change the oil. It should be a good day.
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #309
sicWJofNWA
1999 WJ 

Wj

been a while since Ive posted but i have made progress... new rear lower control arms are in and fixed the wobble i had in the rear end after going over bumps. Aussie locker in the 44a is a beast to say the least. finally made it down to Byrd's to check out the trails there before Rocktoberfest and was able to beat the hell out of my rear driver side fender flare as i made a descent down a waterfall. so the past two days Ive been fixing dents and dings with bondo and prepping the crap out of the lower part of the WJ for my Herculiner install...(PITA) here is a pic the battle scars. I'll post up a pic after I'm done.
img_0493.jpg  
sicWJofNWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #310
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicWJofNWA View Post
been a while since Ive posted but i have made progress... new rear lower control arms are in and fixed the wobble i had in the rear end after going over bumps. Aussie locker in the 44a is a beast to say the least. finally made it down to Byrd's to check out the trails there before Rocktoberfest and was able to beat the hell out of my rear driver side fender flare as i made a descent down a waterfall. so the past two days Ive been fixing dents and dings with bondo and prepping the crap out of the lower part of the WJ for my Herculiner install...(PITA) here is a pic the battle scars. I'll post up a pic after I'm done.
Oh how I miss Byrd's. Good times, hopefully it doesn't flood like it did last year.

Herrod's creek is fun to run if you haven't. Technically not part of Byrd's but really fun. Interesting trail as I have never made it through with a problem or broken anything on it but have seen big tire rigs get worked on it and not really sure how. Same lines and everything.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #311
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRogalOlBlue13 View Post
I got my WJ prepped to wrench on it, and I am going to change the oil. It should be a good day.
Hopefully, it won't take ALL DAY to change your oil
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #312
hannotek
2003 WJ 

Those are some great looking rims!
hannotek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #313
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4kingx889 View Post
how do you get build sheet?
Go here: Contact Jeep

And fill out the information and request that they send you a build sheet in the comments section. You can also go to your local dealer and have them print it out I believe

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #314
Holland18
1999 WJ 

cleaned out my interior because i took my dog wheeling with me yesterday... i hate dog hair
Holland18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #315
sicWJofNWA
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Oh how I miss Byrd's. Good times, hopefully it doesn't flood like it did last year.

Herod's creek is fun to run if you haven't. Technically not part of Byrd's but really fun. Interesting trail as I have never made it through with a problem or broken anything on it but have seen big tire rigs get worked on it and not really sure how. Same lines and everything.
next time i go down there ill have to check out that creek. i know exactly where you're talking about though. tomorrow I'm going to run the trails down at devils den.

here are a few pics of my herculiner install...I'm really happy with how it turned out
img_0498.jpg   img_0502.jpg  
sicWJofNWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.