What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 2001 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 05-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #30001
derekmac

2002 WJ 

I also checked my diff fluid to make sure no water has made its way in, and so far so good.

Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #30002
RacerX125

Sent mine today into a car crusher after having deathwoble and engine problems. better yet! owner let me crush it myself
Off I go to buy a used 2002 jeep grand cherokee laredo :S
RacerX125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #30003
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX125 View Post
Sent mine today into a car crusher after having deathwoble and engine problems. better yet! owner let me crush it myself Off I go to buy a used 2002 jeep grand cherokee laredo :S
Pics?

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #30004
mdrum93

2004 WJ 

Cured my wj's transmission problem today with a brand new, painfully expensive mopar brand TPS. After first trying a knock off from advanced auto parts, I can now say I will only buy mopar in the first place from now on. The PO installed an off brand TPS before and this may be premature, but I swear my mpgs jumped up a hair after installing the mopar one. MOPAR or NOCAR!

For Sale: Rear D44a open for WJ
mdrum93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #30005
NOTW_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrum93 View Post
Cured my wj's transmission problem today with a brand new, painfully expensive mopar brand TPS. After first trying a knock off from advanced auto parts, I can now say I will only buy mopar in the first place from now on. The PO installed an off brand TPS before and this may be premature, but I swear my mpgs jumped up a hair after installing the mopar one. MOPAR or NOCAR!
Hmmm, I haven't been keeping up w/ the thread lately but what tranny issues did it cure? and do you have the Mopar # ?as I think I'm in the same boat needing to replace a non-factory tps
NOTW_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #30006
bluejeepWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post

Hopefully they will last longer than those usally do. Mine lasted a year before they started to rust inside and push out bubbles.....yes they do have metal inside even though they claimed to be 100% plastic when I bought mine. They was a good thread on here about how crap they are and how poor they where on there customer service...I posted a reply I got from them about them lying in there advert too! The original ones took about eights years to bubble. Im going back to Mopar.
It was $89 + shipping for the set of 4. Came to just over $100 total. We'll see how long they last. For now it makes my doors look 1000 times better so I'm happy.
bluejeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #30007
mdrum93

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTW_WJ View Post
Hmmm, I haven't been keeping up w/ the thread lately but what tranny issues did it cure? and do you have the Mopar # ?as I think I'm in the same boat needing to replace a non-factory tps
It was shifting at odd points, sometimes it felt like it was slipping almost. Plus the jeep had a rough idle, and hovered around 1000 rpms most of the time. Under normal driving I couldn't ever get it to drop below 2000 rpms which was killing my mpg. And It would stall out at stop lights, and decelerating into turns...which made for an untimely loss of power steering. I didn't have any close calls thankfully but I could see that causing a head-on collision into another car that was sitting at an intersection

here's my thread on it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...e-off-2378617/

And I threw the box away, but I just got the mopar TPS from the parts desk at my dealership. It was $92.

For Sale: Rear D44a open for WJ
mdrum93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #30008
NOTW_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrum93 View Post
It was shifting at odd points, sometimes it felt like it was slipping almost. Plus the jeep had a rough idle, and hovered around 1000 rpms most of the time. Under normal driving I couldn't ever get it to drop below 2000 rpms which was killing my mpg. And It would stall out at stop lights, and decelerating into turns...which made for untimely loss of power steering. I didn't have any close calls thankfully but I could see that causing a head-on collision into another car that was sitting at an intersection

here's my thread on it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...e-off-2378617/

And I threw the box away, but I just got the mopar TPS from the parts desk at my dealership. It was $92.
Well, mine actually runs great with no shifting,stalling, idling issues so maybe that's not it....Just started to clunk more shifting it into gears (park - drive...reverse to drive..etc..)and wasn't like this in the past...I know they have the typical clunk thats been posted on many threads and I just had the trans completely rebuilt including all the electronics and NO troubled codes so I was thinking TPS, IAC, Vacuum leak??? I'm scratching my head at this point
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #30009
wvracer821
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Well, mine actually runs great with no shifting,stalling, idling issues so maybe that's not it....Just started to clunk more shifting it into gears (park - drive...reverse to drive..etc..)and wasn't like this in the past...I know they have the typical clunk thats been posted on many threads and I just had the trans completely rebuilt including all the electronics and NO troubled codes so I was thinking TPS, IAC, Vacuum leak??? I'm scratching my head at this point
have you checked your U joints? what about rear control arm bushings? A arm bushings and the ball joint on the axle?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #30010
Aaron00
2004 WJ 

Looks like I'm getting a rebuilt motor. Jeeps still at the shop getting a new motor put in sounds like it's around 70,000 miles on the motor. I just want my jeep back lol

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Aaron00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #30011
NOTW_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvracer821 View Post
have you checked your U joints? what about rear control arm bushings? A arm bushings and the ball joint on the axle?
All upper and lower jonny joints/control arm bushings fr & rear have been replaced, Drive shafts have 6 new u-joints and I even removed the front DS to eliminate it from the equation at one point. New Motor and tranny mounts too, thinking it might be slop in them. Everything seems solid.

It's like if the idle was high(which it's not) and you shifted it into gear it kinda jumps going into gear!
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #30012
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
All upper and lower jonny joints/control arm bushings fr & rear have been replaced, Drive shafts have 6 new u-joints and I even removed the front DS to eliminate it from the equation at one point. New Motor and tranny mounts too, thinking it might be slop in them. Everything seems solid.

It's like if the idle was high(which it's not) and you shifted it into gear it kinda jumps going into gear!
Couple of things come to mind:

1- The earlier WJ's had a TSB out regarding a clunk coming from the rear driveshaft. Basically entailed putting a light coating of oil/atf/light grease on the output shaft splines on the T-case. Might be worth a shot even though the TSB doesn't specifically apply to your year. You can search WJJeeps for the TSB.

2- Recently someone posted a procedure here for training the transmission on proper shift pressure when shifting into reverse or drive from park or neutral. I think it was Darnice that posted the instructions to do so.

EDIT:

Post 19 for the relearn procedure:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...53/index2.html

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #30013
NOTW_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Couple of things come to mind:

1- The earlier WJ's had a TSB out regarding a clunk coming from the rear driveshaft. Basically entailed putting a light coating of oil/atf/light grease on the output shaft splines on the T-case. Might be worth a shot even though the TSB doesn't specifically apply to your year. You can search WJJeeps for the TSB.

2- Recently someone posted a procedure here for training the transmission on proper shift pressure when shifting into reverse or drive from park or neutral. I think it was Darnice that posted the instructions to do so.

EDIT:

Post 19 for the relearn procedure:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...53/index2.html
Hmmm, I don't think #1 would apply as I have a 231 w/ a SYE and recently went through my whole Transfer case, but I'll look into the relearn process and see if that makes any difference, Thanks!
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #30014
andrewx12
2000 WJ 

Bought a tow hitch receiver on the cheap. $50 Looks brand new. Goes for $150 new on amazon. Just missing the hardware. It's ok as I have a big bucket of bolts that should be rated.

It is a reese 33018. It's heavy

It will be bolted up tomorrow for the upcoming muddin trip to Southington Off Road this weekend. PM me if your going. Need a crew to make it more fun.
andrewx12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #30015
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Interior LED lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.