What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1993 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #29881
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcricket
Do you realize how dumb that sounds? Why make an unsafe situation even more unsafe by brake checking someone? Just idiotic.
^^^X2 i hate brake checkers, and tailgaters, its dangerous, dont you know??? never ever brake if not needed, keep it WOT to prevent anyone coming up on your tail.

OT, going for a roadtrip

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:42 AM   #29882
curbry
2012 WK 

Nobody is doing 80 mph in the cities unless there is zero traffic. The left lane is meant for passing, if you're doing 5 mph over the posted speed limit and sitting there, you deserve to get tailgated.

Btw, I hate brake checkers also. The FM road kicking up crap is not a good idea also because you can't tell where the rocks go. I'm sure it's hit somebody else's car. It all seems dumb. When they told you about the 2-3-4 rule, I'm sure they said to move over away from aggressive drivers or to call 911. It's called defensive driving and what you guys are doing is no better IMO.

2004 WJ 4.0L, 4x4 automatic 42re select trac, 242 tcase, d30 & d35, manual AC - my run around

2014 Mustang GT 5.0 with some goodies but nothing major yet...
curbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #29883
troy70
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
^^^X2 i hate brake checkers, and tailgaters, its dangerous, dont you know??? never ever brake if not needed, keep it WOT to prevent anyone coming up on your tail.

OT, going for a roadtrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbry View Post
Nobody is doing 80 mph in the cities unless there is zero traffic. The left lane is meant for passing, if you're doing 5 mph over the posted speed limit and sitting there, you deserve to get tailgated.

Btw, I hate brake checkers also. The FM road kicking up crap is not a good idea also because you can't tell where the rocks go. I'm sure it's hit somebody else's car. It all seems dumb. When they told you about the 2-3-4 rule, I'm sure they said to move over away from aggressive drivers or to call 911. It's called defensive driving and what you guys are doing is no better IMO.
When you are car #5 in a line of cars, what good does it do to tailgate? The cars in front of you aren't going anywhere. You might as well back off and maintain a safe distance.

As far as the brake check, how else should one driver communicate to the driver behind them that they are too damned close?

The fact that you both hate brake checks tells me that someone has done this to you. That means that you are both tailgaters. Please back off and show some patience and respect for other drivers on the road.

EDIT to add: There are some videos out there, this is one of the better ones I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rlc7GR5pqw
troy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #29884
thevanillaninja
2002 WJ 

Went to the shipping company to start her journey up to the Last Frontier. Hope I get there after the truck does, cuz I'll be in Kodiak in 41 days and they quoted me at 30 days to ship. We'll see...
MK2 USCG, Kodiak, AK
thevanillaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #29885
nUcKiNfUtZ

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy70 View Post
Not sure about bursting into flames... where did you get that from? We're driving Jeeps, not Crown Vics.

I know the recommendations/rules vary from state to state, but it's pretty simple, DO NOT FOLLOW CLOSELY! In Virginia, they have a 2-3-4 rule...

At 25mph, you should be 2 seconds behind, or 70 feet.

At 35mph, you should be 3 seconds behind, or 150 feet.

At 45mph, you should be 4 seconds behind, or 264 feet.

On the Interstate at 70mph, it's more like 400 feet.

When someone's less than 50 feet behind me, they're too damned close, and you can bet your *** that I'm going to give them a brake check.

When someone's so close to me that I can't even see their front clip in the mirror, they're creating a dangerous situation. I can't exactly yell out the window to tell them to back off, so yes... I give them a brake check to let them know.

One thing that I'm glad for, is that I live far enough away from any libtard cities that I don't have to deal with heavy traffic often. Driving the Interstate around DC, Richmond, VA Beach, Charlotte, or Atlanta is miserable... 4-6 lanes (more?) of traffic moving at 80+ and less than a single car length between vehicles. It's amazing that the majority of idiots in the cities manage to make it home alive.
our WJ's are know to burst into flames when rear ended because of the gas tank location.

Here's the whole article

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/04/auto...ecall-refusal/
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #29886
curbry
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy70 View Post
When you are car #5 in a line of cars, what good does it do to tailgate? The cars in front of you aren't going anywhere. You might as well back off and maintain a safe distance.

As far as the brake check, how else should one driver communicate to the driver behind them that they are too damned close?

The fact that you both hate brake checks tells me that someone has done this to you. That means that you are both tailgaters. Please back off and show some patience and respect for other drivers on the road.

EDIT to add: There are some videos out there, this is one of the better ones I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rlc7GR5pqw

You assume in a tailgater. I hate break checkers because it almaot always creates a domino affect for the rest of traffic. So don't assume I. A tailgater, if I'm crawling up your rear, it's likely I'm gaining speed to pass.

I log somewhere in the area of 55-60k a year between 3 vehicles. I'm well aware if traffic in the metro area. A lot of the issues I see locally are people getting irritated by an idiot doing 55-60 in the left lane. The NJ tpke has a traffic flow of 75-80 even though the speed limit is 65. So if your moving slower than traffic, move over to the right.

2004 WJ 4.0L, 4x4 automatic 42re select trac, 242 tcase, d30 & d35, manual AC - my run around

2014 Mustang GT 5.0 with some goodies but nothing major yet...
curbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #29887
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

As far as tailgating and brake checking, when I was taking an advanced driving course before I received my license, the cops assisting the program even told everyone that in on-road situations to stay out of the left lane (or "fast lane") if youre going the speed limit. It only creates more of a danger since most people are trying to go 5+ above when in the left lane. And as far as having someone tailgate you, let it be their problem that they are impatient. Or maybe theyre just late to where they need to be. Almost all roads have a shoulder that you can pull to the side on and let faster flowing traffic by. There is absolutely no point for brake checking. Its probably worse in my honest opinion than any tailgating. Since obviously you dont seem to be in a hurry anywhere, its not going to impact you at all to just politely let them by so both of you are happy

Just so I have something to stay on point to the thread, I replaced a pcv hose finally that's been broken for awhile, and finally got around to taking the door hinges off the b pillar.
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #29888
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbry View Post
You assume in a tailgater. I hate break checkers because it almaot always creates a domino affect for the rest of traffic. So don't assume I. A tailgater, if I'm crawling up your rear, it's likely I'm gaining speed to pass. I log somewhere in the area of 55-60k a year between 3 vehicles. I'm well aware if traffic in the metro area. A lot of the issues I see locally are people getting irritated by an idiot doing 55-60 in the left lane. The NJ tpke has a traffic flow of 75-80 even though the speed limit is 65. So if your moving slower than traffic, move over to the right.
First of all, I apologize for posting this in the "What did you do to your WJ today?" thread.
I couldn't agree more. I used to log 60-75k a year. I finally just got to where I let the idiots pass me and go endanger someone else. It does no good to brake-check someone. They might be on their way to the hospital to see their loved one for the last time, you just don't know. I always keep to the right and try to be considerate to other drivers, but some people were never taught manners. I realize they are annoying, but just let them pass and you will be in much better spirits when you get to where you are going. It's not worth your life, nor is it your place to regulate traffic. I know this from long time experience, because I used to think like this, too.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #29889
Tooltimenova
2003 WJ 

In my quest for decent gas mileage and changed the fuel filter and spark plugs today. I can believe that the filter may make a difference just by seeing how bad the one I took off looks.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Tooltimenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #29890
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy70
When you are car #5 in a line of cars, what good does it do to tailgate? The cars in front of you aren't going anywhere. You might as well back off and maintain a safe distance. As far as the brake check, how else should one driver communicate to the driver behind them that they are too damned close? The fact that you both hate brake checks tells me that someone has done this to you. That means that you are both tailgaters. Please back off and show some patience and respect for other drivers on the road. EDIT to add: There are some videos out there, this is one of the better ones I've seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rlc7GR5pqw
No tailgating on me, recently got rearended myself cause of unfocused tailgater.

AND ppl keep brake checking for no Mather reason, ex before a mild Curve, or because they want to change lane, really anoying if you just started to accelerate to start a take over and then Have to slam your brakes.

On todays roadtrip i had a tailgater Volvo, right up in my arse, let him pass, couple miles down the Road i find him tailgating another semi Truck, i passed them both, thinking some ppl like to Tailgate, shhhh, thats just how they drive,,,,!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #29891
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcricket View Post
No offense to either of you but what you are doing is just as bad as the people tailgating you. Imagine how you would feel if you took someone's life just because you were pissed someone was tailgating you. A broken windshield is enough to startle some one bad enough to crash their car. Are you that pissed? Sounds like you need some anger management. Don't even get me started on brake checking someone.....I hope you gents grow up because what you are doing is just as dumb.

Then my advise to you or anyone else then is to never tailgate me.

*edit* Also, it's not a matter of me being pissed because I'm being tailgated. That's the whole thing, I don't care if you tailgate or not. I am going to drive my speed which either whatever I feel comfortable with or very close to the speed limit, depending on the weather usually. If someone gets behind me I am a cautious enough driver to where I will move over a little so they can see past me to see if it's safe to pass. The problem is, sometimes people just want to ride your butt and try to make you nervous so you will drive faster. My second course of action in that situation is to simply let my foot off the gas. That usually works and they'll go screaming by me....but occasionally they will still refuse to pass...And in those instances they very well might get a grill full of road gravel. I'm not going off road enough to throw ROCKS into their windshield... I just get far enough over to where I start hearing the tick tick tick of the loose gravel on the edge of the pavement. It's going to get their attention and the times I've tried it in the past which TBH are not very many, but in every instance the person tailgating so unsafely has ALWAYS either slowed down and stopped riding my butt OR they have passed me similarly to when I just let off the gas. I should also point out that I have never done this in any vehicle I was driving that had all-terrain or off road type tires on it.

I don't brake check, I don't rage, I don't even flip them the rod...I just sort of 'accidentally' move over a tad bit too far to alert them that they are too close and if they don't want potential damage to their car they might want to remedy that situation.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #29892
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Sorry all, I shouldn't have posted up that stuff in this thread....there's a better place for it.

BOT (sort of). Today I started looking into wheel spacers for my WJ and a BB. I'm not getting it just yet and might decide against the BB in favor of a 3 or maybe 4" IRO lift next tax season but I def. want the wheel spacers. So running 245/65/r17s on stock wheels and stock suspension I just want to get maybe a 1" set of spacers, maybe a little more. I don't really know a lot about spacers but I have heard from 1 or 2 people that they can be dangerous...How so? I don't see how they could really be all that dangerous unless you didn't fasten them down tight enough or didn't go back occasionally and check the tightness. Is there something I'm missing here? Also, about the thickest set of spacers I've seen so far are like 1-1/4". Is that about right? And lastly, is there a particular brand that is preferred over others and why?
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #29893
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltimenova View Post
In my quest for decent gas mileage and changed the fuel filter and spark plugs today. I can believe that the filter may make a difference just by seeing how bad the one I took off looks. [/URL][/IMG]

That is a very clean looking engine bay. I wish mine was that clean.

Also, it's my understanding that the WJ has 2 fuel filters....Which one is that? I've only had my current WJ for a little less than a year and I have a feeling I will wind up having to replace the fuel filter before too terribly long if you've got an '03. And one other thing, is that the original filter or do you even know?
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #29894
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski View Post
Sorry all, I shouldn't have posted up that stuff in this thread....there's a better place for it.

BOT (sort of). Today I started looking into wheel spacers for my WJ and a BB. I'm not getting it just yet and might decide against the BB in favor of a 3 or maybe 4" IRO lift next tax season but I def. want the wheel spacers. So running 245/65/r17s on stock wheels and stock suspension I just want to get maybe a 1" set of spacers, maybe a little more. I don't really know a lot about spacers but I have heard from 1 or 2 people that they can be dangerous...How so? I don't see how they could really be all that dangerous unless you didn't fasten them down tight enough or didn't go back occasionally and check the tightness. Is there something I'm missing here? Also, about the thickest set of spacers I've seen so far are like 1-1/4". Is that about right? And lastly, is there a particular brand that is preferred over others and why?
I had rough country 1.5" spacers. Its recommended to torque them to spec everytime you do an oil change or put loctite on the nuts the first time you install them. I torqued them to lug nut spec the first time I installed them. Everytime I had the wheel off after that, id check the tightness of the nuts. Never lose, and always clicked the torque wrench without even rotating. I know a lot of shops wont touch them because of liability issues, but if you can handle it yourself and be sure to check on them, you shouldnt have a problem.
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #29895
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Sanded, painted, and installed my junkyard find oe front "skid" plate. I also ordered a new oe transfer case skid
Highschool_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.