Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your WJ today?

Tags
wj
5M views 53K replies 3K participants last post by  X-Hibition 
#1 ·
Tell us what you did!

Show pics!

I washed mine and Im still waiting for my lift to show up!

I put my new WHEELS and tires on with the jack :)

And replaced driver side axle shaft and changed all diff fluids.

See less See more
#39,802 ·
WJ and I took a drive to check on some leather seats out of an 2001 limited being parted out. Driver's seat was to far gone and turned out to be black not the dark blue I need. But I did see the auto dimming side mirror wiring harness based on this pick and post earlier in this thread, but the side mirror only has the squiggly lines for the heated showing, not the symbols or part # on the glass for the dimming. Did some come with the wiring but not the mirror? I thought if you had the wiring harness you had the mirror, or do all ours come pre-wired with it? Wondering if I should get it or not, guy is holding it till tomorrow

:cheers2:
Often times the glass in the auto dim fails, and it is possible to replace auto dim glass with heated only glass without changing the mirror assembly. So the wiring would still be there but the glass wouldn't actually support the auto dim function. If it doesn't have "GNTX" in the number on the bottom or the "AUTO DIM" writing on it, then someone likely swapped the glass out.

#39,804 ·
Often times the glass in the auto dim fails, and it is possible to replace auto dim glass with heated only glass without changing the mirror assembly. So the wiring would still be there but the glass wouldn't actually support the auto dim function. If it doesn't have "GNTX" in the number on the bottom or the "AUTO DIM" writing on it, then someone likely swapped the glass out.
Can the glass just be ordered or just best(cost effective) to keep looking around?
Oh and is it just on the driver side or is it available on both sides?

#39,806 ·
Can the glass just be ordered or just best(cost effective) to keep looking around?
Oh and is it just on the driver side or is it available on both sides?

I'm not sure you can order the glass but if you could it's probably MOPAR only and really expensive. I know they make aftermarket heated replacements but I've never seen aftermarket AUTO DIM replacements. I would just keep looking around. However, keep in mind that you cannot swap an AUTO DIM glass into a non-auto dim housing because the wiring won't be in the housing for the AUTO DIM feature. It might exist in the door harness and the body harness but just a regular heated mirror won't have wiring for the AUTO DIM feature in the housing. So you probably need to find the whole housing.

I have two housings with glass I might be interested in selling. PM me if you want.

#39,807 ·
Not quite sure. The mount is heavy duty, its pretty strong stuff. I would guess around 40-50lbs for the mount, I didnt weigh it prior to installing it. The winch weighs 78lbs, according online. The steel rope adds a lot to the weight and I could actually save somewhere around 40lbs just by switching to synthetic rope, or so I read, which i might do because I can tell a difference after installing it. I can feel the extra weight up front.
how much did all the weight effect your front approach angle? is it noticeable

#39,809 ·
#39,810 ·
Noticed my heated door mirrors are not heating ....again! Last time it was just bad corrosion on the connectors that feed them.....hopefully it will be the same again but its not been that long since I replaced them.....Don't think it can be a fuse as AFAIK they share the fuse with the heated rear screen which works fine....hmmmm.

#39,811 ·
Noticed my heated door mirrors are not heating ....again! Last time it was just bad corrosion on the connectors that feed them.....hopefully it will be the same again but its not been that long since I replaced them.....Don't think it can be a fuse as AFAIK they share the fuse with the heated rear screen which works fine....hmmmm.
You should be able to fix that with a hammer.

#39,812 ·
If it's corrosion this time, try using some dielectric grease on the connections if you didn't last time. It should keep it from happening again.

#39,813 ·
Bummer for what? I'm confused.

Putting the spare outside frees up a ton of room. What's an R2 unit? Portable air/jump box?
Sorry, that was to wsigo, who lost a cylinder. I was just looking at your pics the other day. Blue with the tire on back? That's a nice rig.
§

#39,815 ·
If it's corrosion this time, try using some dielectric grease on the connections if you didn't last time. It should keep it from happening again.
I doubt it will be....I used the same type out connector the factory used and it lasted over ten years before! It's far more likely to be something REALLY expensive!

#39,816 ·
I doubt it will be....I used the same type out connector the factory used and it lasted over ten years before! It's far more likely to be something REALLY expensive!
The other simple thing it may be is the rear window defroster relay. I believe that's where the mirrors also are controlled from. It's possible the relay may be going bad. It'd be easy to swap out and eliminate it as a possibility at least.

#39,819 ·
Went to a lkq and got a set of facotry tow hooks and a cargo cover. Now I'd like to find a transfer case and front skid plate. Also while putting the tow hooks on I noticed my lower trans cooler line in the radiator looks like it's leaked a tad, tried my line wrench set and it's to small and it's a tight spot for a wrench. Any advice? Thanks.

Sent from a Note 4