What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1891 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #28351
pmdowd6
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorjamm View Post
So today started off well. Picked up the diamond plate for the new project that Gcjeeping gave me the idea for. But tonight didn't go as well. Driving while frustrated lead to my rear driver coil spring falling out somewhere on the freeway since I was driving like an dumba**, and the Jeep dog tailed all the way home... Well... Almost. half a mile from my house I was taking a left turn and the upper shock bolt decided to tear out leading to my car coming ridiculously close to rolling onto its side. Still dont know how it didnt. but since there is no coil and no shock, the body came to rest on the tire while i drove another 200 yards to a spot I could park it and walk home...
Holy **** I would have pissed myself

Unread 02-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #28352
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Finished up a weekend project. I pulled out my Avital 4103L and replaced it with a 2-way Viper 5501 Remote start / keyless. I also installed a Smartstart module so I can remote start via my smartphone. I was more than happy with the Avital but with this winter being so cold, I wanted to be able to start the WJ while still at work. I work at an airport and we have remote parking. With the Avital I would only be able to start the WJ once the employee bus got to the peaking lot. Now I will not have that issue.
dadamets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #28353
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdowd6 View Post
Holy **** I would have pissed myself
i nearly did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
May I ask what setup you are running?
6.5" critical path kit with fixed iro rear short arms. discontinued 4.5" coils from IRO and 2" spacers

Update though, it turns out the shock bolt had been vibrated out ( at least my guess with driveline vibes ) on the freeway, which was the cause of dogtailing, and that along with the sway bar disco'd allowed the jeep to roll so much when i turned and why the coil spring came out. I mustve had it all backwards, but I assumed when I couldnt find the spring at the intersection that the shock mustve been holding it to clear the tire. I got the jeep home by running out with my stock springs and a floor jack and placed the stock spring up in there with the 2" spacer still there. Luckily it allowed just enough clearance for the 35s for me to slowly drive it home. Then I decided hours later Id grab a flashlight and go look around the area again where the Jeep almost rolled and look for whatever had fallen off. Some person randomly pulled up and asked if I was looking for a big spring! nearly 5 hours later and someone that had picked it up happened to be driving by as I was out there with a flashlight. What are the chances? So luckily I have my spring back, and just need to get a new bolt for the upper shock. But inspecting those threads and not finding a snapped bolt really has me wondering if someone messed with the bolt

and pictures up tomorrow when I get my new phone
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #28354
03azwj
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUp007
LED License plate update... Pretty bright. I like it!
Where in AZ are you?
3" OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100, JKS adjustable trackbar, Moog SS, IRO UCA'S & LCA'S, 3/4" front and rear spacers, BFG M/T km LT255/75R17, JK Rubicon takeoffs, 8K HIDS Hi's & Lo's. full Rockford Fosgate set-up, blue l.e.d. interior, clumsy driver
03azwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #28355
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorjamm
i nearly did! 6.5" critical path kit with fixed iro rear short arms. discontinued 4.5" coils from IRO and 2" spacers Update though, it turns out the shock bolt had been vibrated out ( at least my guess with driveline vibes ) on the freeway, which was the cause of dogtailing, and that along with the sway bar disco'd allowed the jeep to roll so much when i turned and why the coil spring came out. I mustve had it all backwards, but I assumed when I couldnt find the spring at the intersection that the shock mustve been holding it to clear the tire. I got the jeep home by running out with my stock springs and a floor jack and placed the stock spring up in there with the 2" spacer still there. Luckily it allowed just enough clearance for the 35s for me to slowly drive it home. Then I decided hours later Id grab a flashlight and go look around the area again where the Jeep almost rolled and look for whatever had fallen off. Some person randomly pulled up and asked if I was looking for a big spring! nearly 5 hours later and someone that had picked it up happened to be driving by as I was out there with a flashlight. What are the chances? So luckily I have my spring back, and just need to get a new bolt for the upper shock. But inspecting those threads and not finding a snapped bolt really has me wondering if someone messed with the bolt and pictures up tomorrow when I get my new phone
No offense but that's why I think some people is against spacers on springs, I just really glad you are ok, don't worry you will have her back up and running in no time :-)

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 02:03 AM   #28356
et2473
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadamets View Post
Finished up a weekend project. I pulled out my Avital 4103L and replaced it with a 2-way Viper 5501 Remote start / keyless. I also installed a Smartstart module so I can remote start via my smartphone. I was more than happy with the Avital but with this winter being so cold, I wanted to be able to start the WJ while still at work. I work at an airport and we have remote parking. With the Avital I would only be able to start the WJ once the employee bus got to the peaking lot. Now I will not have that issue.
Was the Viper system as easy to install as the Avital? I have the Avital but would like to upgrade to a 2way so I know when the car is started and maybe get some more range on the remote.
et2473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #28357
FedUp007
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03azwj View Post

Where in AZ are you?
Live in Gilbert... work in Tempe...
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #28358
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
that along with the sway bar disco'd allowed the jeep to roll so much when i turned and why the coil spring came out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjidaho View Post
No offense but that's why I think some people is against spacers on springs
More like why you shouldn't be running around on the street with your sway bar(s) disco'd

No offense doorjamm, but you really should get your **** sorted before the random crap flying off your rig hurts somebody.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #28359
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by et2473 View Post
Was the Viper system as easy to install as the Avital? I have the Avital but would like to upgrade to a 2way so I know when the car is started and maybe get some more range on the remote.
It would have been had the first unit (Clifford made by DEI) been a working unit. Turned out the Brain was DOA! Ended up with the Viper also Made by DEI, As is the Avital. If you have your DB-All set up W2W vs D2D you could just get a Smartstart Module and connect it to the D2D port. You would then be able to Start, Lock and Unlock via your smartphone. Only Caveat is the Smartstart requires a subscription of $70 per year or $140 for 3 years. I could get you a referral to save $20 on the subscription if you wanted to go that route.
dadamets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #28360
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
More like why you shouldn't be running around on the street with your sway bar(s) disco'd No offense doorjamm, but you really should get your **** sorted before the random crap flying off your rig hurts somebody.
I guess I missed the whole sway bar disco'd part, yeah connect your damn sway bar on the street, you don't want to roll one of these trust me it's sucks ;-)

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #28361
spud2388

Finally finished my sub box/spare tire support. It was a pain dealing with all the angles as the base shape is an octagon, but it turned out pretty nice I think. And this whole project was made out of left overs from other projects. So no money out-of-pocket. The carpet job isn't the best, but with all the angles and whatnot, and the fact that only 80% of it will actually be seen, its no biggy.

The box is bolted down with two 6"bolts through the trim and to the inner metal panel. There are spacers between the metal panel and the trim so once I tighten everything down, nothing is getting crushed and everything is just sandwiched in place.

What it looks like when you open the hatch

spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #28362
et2473
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadamets View Post
It would have been had the first unit (Clifford made by DEI) been a working unit. Turned out the Brain was DOA! Ended up with the Viper also Made by DEI, As is the Avital. If you have your DB-All set up W2W vs D2D you could just get a Smartstart Module and connect it to the D2D port. You would then be able to Start, Lock and Unlock via your smartphone. Only Caveat is the Smartstart requires a subscription of $70 per year or $140 for 3 years. I could get you a referral to save $20 on the subscription if you wanted to go that route.
I have my Avital setup D2D.. I followed this writeup http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-easy-1312756/
Can I still just plug it into the D2D port or would i have to set it up W2W to use the D2D port for the Smartstart?
et2473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #28363
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
More like why you shouldn't be running around on the street with your sway bar(s) disco'd

No offense doorjamm, but you really should get your **** sorted before the random crap flying off your rig hurts somebody.
yes yes i know. i have the addco rear sway bar, and when i was on the trail the jeep was flexing a lot and it pulled the nut straight through the bolt hole on the sway bar. so i just hadnt gotten around to fixing it yet, and wasnt expecting a shock to randomly fall down and hang from the axle though.
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #28364
biffs
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_allday04 View Post
what did you use to attach your light bar in the rack channel???
I used a couple of U-bolts with a custom piece of metal to secure both the ubolt and the mounting hardware that came with the light.

As for the light bar itself, its a 40 inch one - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/.../#post20295073

Its a temporary mounting, I will eventually be getting or building a large roof rack that will have the mounting for the rack on there. Subscribe to my build thread and I'll take a picture of the mounting and I'll post it there.
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #28365
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
yes yes i know. i have the addco rear sway bar, and when i was on the trail the jeep was flexing a lot and it pulled the nut straight through the bolt hole on the sway bar. so i just hadnt gotten around to fixing it yet, and wasnt expecting a shock to randomly fall down and hang from the axle though.
Its all good my man. Glad to hear everything ended up alright

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.