What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1865 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #27961
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Started to cut on the mounting brackets for my TAG Rock Sliders. Measured the unibody frame rails vs the height of the mounting brackets as built, and am taking almost an inch off the top.

Measure twice, cut once - with an angle grinder (lots of fun, and sparks, and noise).

Curious about technique - for the first cut I basically cut along the tape line, made about 6 passes as I recall - with rest/cool-down periods for the cutting wheel and grinder motor between each pass - the inner brackets appear to be 3/16", while the outer brackets are thicker, about 1/4".

I am not a metal worker so want to ensure the approach I wrote, basically make a pass along the full length of the cut with grinder at speed, enough force to cut but not enough to bog down, is the right way to cut with an angle grinder.

Or can I start on an edge and get a cut all the way through the material and slowly work across the length of the cut in one long pass?

Once I finished the first cut I let it cool off then shot it with some paint to seal it against rust - any other recommendations?

Thanks

'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Son-of-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #27962
dcampbell4

2002 WJ 

Came out of the gym to scrapes all the way from just in front of the rear wheel all they way down the side to the front bumper, a missing side mirror, and pushed up onto the curb. It amazes me how people can just drive away after something like this. If my axel seal broke on the side that was pushed up on to the curb I am going to be reallllllly unhappy. I can live with a $30 mirror replacement .
dcampbell4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #27963
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999wjlimited View Post
We'll first I did some work in perpetration for my axle swap.

Then I added some cheap harbor freight lights to my roof rack. To hold me over until I can get my funds back up and get some better lights.

I don't have them wired up yet because it's getting late and I have class in the morning. So they will have to wait for another day.

I am thinking of mounting a holster somewhere in my jeep to put my carry gun on long drives because it can get uncomfortable after a while driving with it what do y'all think of some of the spots in the pics below? Also does anyone with experience doing this have any advice a holster that will work the best and mounting ideas?
I saw a guy make his rear cup holder into a pistol case. Pretty good idea to me since its a crappy cup holder anyways lol
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #27964
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffs View Post
First post here - Sunday I changed out my headlights, added a Light Bar, and started on a DIY Ski rack for the roof. Just got the Jeep about a month ago.
How's the ski rack going? I'm thinking about doing something. I was just going to get a roof rack and be done with it, but I'm interested in how yours comes out. Good luck.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #27965
Hightower718
2004 WJ 

1.5 wheel spacers are going on as soon as the sbop opens!
Hightower718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #27966
SpitFyre79
2000 WJ 

Really wanted to go out and play today. Damn state of emergency!
image-2467622452.jpg

SpitFyre79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #27967
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFyre79
Really wanted to go out and play today. Damn state of emergency!
For what snow? That's just a excuse to go play, haha

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #27968
SpitFyre79
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjidaho
For what snow? That's just a excuse to go play, haha
Can't go out on the roads here in NJ during a State Of Emergency with driving restrictions. They will fine the hell out of you and impound your vehicle.
SpitFyre79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #27969
biffs
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFyre79 View Post
Can't go out on the roads here in NJ during a State Of Emergency with driving restrictions. They will fine the hell out of you and impound your vehicle.
Are you kidding me? Thats unreal!
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #27970
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:

Time to move.
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #27971
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
And we are a free country?????? That's why i say f the east,,, so glad I live in Idaho,

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #27972
biffs
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-of-Beast View Post
Welcome biffs. FYI - in case you didn't notice, the vertical aiming adjuster for the Spyder projectors can be reached with a long screwdriver through the hole on top of the crossmember for the radiator.
For the drivers side I could reach it (barely) with a phillips screwdriver from behind (beside the air filter), for the passenger the battery was smack in the way. I ended up just taking them out to adjust them to get a good beam. I get to do it all again when I add some proper HIDs to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
You are getting a good start. It's amazing how a new pair of headlights changes the look.
Welcome to JF!

Sent from my iPad using electrons
Yeah, generally the first thing I do when getting a new car is to redo/replace the headlights. Makes the car look like its worth double right away!
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #27973
Kalel
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffs View Post
Yeah, generally the first thing I do when getting a new car is to redo/replace the headlights. Makes the car look like its worth double right away!
The first thing I did was put on the lift and Mud Terrains. :P
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #27974
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Wow bro, this is America and you're under martial law! Cops aren't going to be out patrolling, pulling people over, they just wants the idiots in Hondas and Toyotas to stay off the roads. Jeeps are excluded.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #27975
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ
Wow bro, this is America and you're under martial law! Cops aren't going to be out patrolling, pulling people over, they just wants the idiots in Hondas and Toyotas to stay off the roads. Jeeps are excluded.
Plus they'd have to catch you first. Ill take a WJ over a crown Vic in a foot of snow all day. Haha.
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.