Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your WJ today?

Tags
wj
5M views 53K replies 3K participants last post by  X-Hibition 
#1 ·
Tell us what you did!

Show pics!

I washed mine and Im still waiting for my lift to show up!

I put my new WHEELS and tires on with the jack :)

And replaced driver side axle shaft and changed all diff fluids.

See less See more
#34,502 ·
Looks really good, does the OME lift make it sit level or is there still some rake? If it is raked, I wonder if 3/4" spacers up front would fix the reverse rubbing and level it out. Or not having the wheel spacers? (although it looks awesome as is, with spacers). Right now I'm considering the IRO, OME and possibly the Zone lift.
I have 265-75-16's (the same height of tire on a 16" rim and 4" of lift. I didn't have to trim pre-wheel spacer. After I added the spacer (they're 1.5") I had to trim the front bumper some.

If he's at 3" and has spacers he's likely going to need to trim.

If you don't want to trim you'll need to go 4" or higher and skip the spacers. I've watched this forum for years and the guys that say they can do 3" with those tires will eventually concede to trimming even without the spacers (which just makes things worse).

Spacers bring the wheels out adding some stability. When you lifted the Jeep you through off the center of gravity. This will help get some of that back.

Trimming on mine was minimal with 4" of lift. Standing next to it you'd never know if I didn't point it out to you.

#34,503 ·
brouwmat said:
I have 265-75-16's (the same height of tire on a 16" rim and 4" of lift. I didn't have to trim pre-wheel spacer. After I added the spacer (they're 1.5") I had to trim the front bumper some. If he's at 3" and has spacers he's likely going to need to trim. If you don't want to trim you'll need to go 4" or higher and skip the spacers. I've watched this forum for years and the guys that say they can do 3" with those tires will eventually concede to trimming even without the spacers (which just makes things worse). Spacers bring the wheels out adding some stability. When you lifted the Jeep you through off the center of gravity. This will help get some of that back. Trimming on mine was minimal with 4" of lift. Standing next to it you'd never know if I didn't point it out to you.
I see you have the RCX 4", how do you like the ride? Are you just using the RC shocks? I've found a lot of mixed reviews about 4" of lift on short arms. I have 140k miles on my factory suspension so I'm thinking the new parts, even at 4" would ride the same as it does now if not better. From what I've seen the 1.5" spacers make the tires sit pretty flush with the fenders and I'd definitely want to add them. It also looks a little bit more aggressive.

#34,505 ·
#34,509 ·
I see you have the RCX 4", how do you like the ride? Are you just using the RC shocks? I've found a lot of mixed reviews about 4" of lift on short arms. I have 140k miles on my factory suspension so I'm thinking the new parts, even at 4" would ride the same as it does now if not better. From what I've seen the 1.5" spacers make the tires sit pretty flush with the fenders and I'd definitely want to add them. It also looks a little bit more aggressive.
It does Ok. It's a little stiffer than stock but I expected that with the lift and all. Are Bilsteins better? Yes. RC's been great with their warranty so far. However, I have a leaking rear shock.. We'll see how they do warranting a 2yr old kit. From my experience with them it'll be fine (lifetime warranty I was told)... We'll see ;-)

4" on SA is ok.. If you think you might want to go higher at some point then go LA. I might do that at some point. RC makes an upgrade kit for that if I decide to do it.

Lifting a WJ w/ 140k on the clock 3" or above you'll eventually need to do the front DS, Wheel Hubs, Ball Joints, TRE's, CA bushings, and more. Count on replacing those within the first year and that expense when deciding to go LA off the bat. For me, it was more than I wanted to spend thus the SA lift.

#34,511 ·
Bought these.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeep-Gran...d4OdF1e0931vv8FN34x2w%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Bargain. The cheapest I could get them on line was £174...I got these for £40 plus shipping at about £18. They are a bit fiddly to fit (I've helped fit a set before) but should be worth it.....and much cheaper than the Bushwackers I was going to go for. Should also enable me to cut out the only bit of rust on the whole body on my right rear wheel arch too. Could not resist them for that money. Just got to get some beers for my friendly paint shop guy! Will be a while before they are on...got to do 4 balljoints and all my rod ends first so I pass next month's MOT (annual UK safely test)! I need to find a way of making more hours in the day.....and not having to work so much!

Sent from my SM-T310 using JeepForum

#34,512 ·
brouwmat said:
It does Ok. It's a little stiffer than stock but I expected that with the lift and all. Are Bilsteins better? Yes. RC's been great with their warranty so far. However, I have a leaking rear shock.. We'll see how they do warranting a 2yr old kit. From my experience with them it'll be fine (lifetime warranty I was told)... We'll see ;-) 4" on SA is ok.. If you think you might want to go higher at some point then go LA. I might do that at some point. RC makes an upgrade kit for that if I decide to do it. Lifting a WJ w/ 140k on the clock 3" or above you'll eventually need to do the front DS, Wheel Hubs, Ball Joints, TRE's, CA bushings, and more. Count on replacing those within the first year and that expense when deciding to go LA off the bat. For me, it was more than I wanted to spend thus the SA lift.
Yeah, I definitely would just be sticking with 3 or 4" of lift to avoid LAs. (I know everyone says that but ends up wanting bigger!). I think a big determinant in what I end up going with will be how much I save up. I was wanting to pay off my loan this summer or in 2016 in order to get another motorcycle but now I'm going to a university out of town so I'll just wait until I graduate to get another bike. Now I can focus on some more mods!

#34,520 ·
Bought these.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeep-Gran...d4OdF1e0931vv8FN34x2w%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Bargain. The cheapest I could get them on line was £174...I got these for £40 plus shipping at about £18. They are a bit fiddly to fit (I've helped fit a set before) but should be worth it.....and much cheaper than the Bushwackers I was going to go for. Should also enable me to cut out the only bit of rust on the whole body on my right rear wheel arch too. Could not resist them for that money. Just got to get some beers for my friendly paint shop guy! Will be a while before they are on...got to do 4 balljoints and all my rod ends first so I pass next month's MOT (annual UK safely test)! I need to find a way of making more hours in the day.....and not having to work so much!

Sent from my SM-T310 using JeepForum
Nice score on the flares. I had a set and loved them. Finnicky is one way to put it thats for sure. Well worth the time put into installing them though.