What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1682 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #25216
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTW_WJ View Post
The antennae is from Walcott CB P/N- MS48. I wasn't able to tune it yet, I have 3 meters and can't find ONE of my stinking jumpers to hook up... Hopefully I'll get a chance to dig one up and get it done soon... I'll keep you posted

What type of equipment(antennae,cable,mount,etc..) were you using??

How close were you able to get it dialed in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
It was a stainless 102" whip with spring on a DIY mount using Mini-8 cable. I was tuning with an analyzer and not a simple SWR meter. It kept showing the antenna as being short. As a test and temporary fix I made an extension from copper pipe with caps and bolts soldered to each end to make the antenna around 15" longer. It worked. The body was canceling out the bottom portion of the antenna. I finally bit the bullet, drilled, and installed a mount through the roof. The current antenna is a Sirio Performer 5000. It's on the money. Reactance is near 0, resistance is in the high 30s/low 40s, and SWR is 1.2-1.4

I also have a 2 meter antenna installed in the same manner up front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTW_WJ View Post
Sounds like you got it set-up nice now. Do you think it was the whip causing the issues or were you able to pinpoint the culprit? I know of others using 4' firesticks that have been able to get some pretty respectable numbers mounted in the same location/method so I'm hoping for the best.

interesting, i recently had to replace my antenna and got a new MS48, i couldn't get it to tune below SWR of 3... but the base on it was different than my old one, cheaper looking. so i ordered a different brand with the same picture as my old one and it also came with the newer style base and wouldn't tune for crap.

this was what my old one looked like:
http://www.amazon.com/Truckspec-30in.../dp/B005UUQ8TM

and this is what all the new ones were coming looking like:
http://www.amazon.com/Solarcon-Tunab.../dp/B005UUPYX8

i returned them both and got a completely different style and it worked out fine (swr of 1.something)

also i think the firestik type ones also tune better when mounted on the corner because they are a top loaded design, i used to have a firefly and was able to get it below 1.

theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #25217
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinePig View Post
Got the front Bushwacker flares on tonight along with some new front tow hooks

I am hoping the rears are less of a PITA than the fronts were....
Looks awesome. I heard they were a real pain to install.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #25218
NOTW_WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
interesting, i recently had to replace my antenna and got a new MS48, i couldn't get it to tune below SWR of 3... but the base on it was different than my old one, cheaper looking. so i ordered a different brand with the same picture as my old one and it also came with the newer style base and wouldn't tune for crap.

this was what my old one looked like:
http://www.amazon.com/Truckspec-30in.../dp/B005UUQ8TM

and this is what all the new ones were coming looking like:
http://www.amazon.com/Solarcon-Tunab.../dp/B005UUPYX8

i returned them both and got a completely different style and it worked out fine (swr of 1.something)

also i think the firestik type ones also tune better when mounted on the corner because they are a top loaded design, i used to have a firefly and was able to get it below 1.
I definitely got the second version you mentioned and wasn't impressed with the plastic looking base(they must have found a cheaper supplier)

What did you end up using after returning the two?

Why did you switch from the firefly if it dialed in so well?

I'm gonna get a meter hooked up and see how it looks but the firefly was second choice, and it looks like I may need to go that route.
NOTW_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #25219
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

new fog housings came in finally
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #25220
thechainrule

got my stroker motor installed.

thechainrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #25221
04beachwheeler
2004 WJ 

Installed RC quick discos yesterday! Have yet to get my full flex on but it's still early! Will post pics when I find a loading ramp at the back of a Macy's...muhaha!
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #25222
jwilliamson1987
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechainrule View Post
got my stroker motor installed...
It says the video is private... sad day
jwilliamson1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #25223
thechainrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamson1987 View Post
It says the video is private... sad day
Fixed it. Thanks
thechainrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #25224
jeepinjeepin
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTW_WJ
Sounds like you got it set-up nice now. Do you think it was the whip causing the issues or were you able to pinpoint the culprit? I know of others using 4' firesticks that have been able to get some pretty respectable numbers mounted in the same location/method so I'm hoping for the best.
It had to be the antenna. Whips aren't loaded in any way and thus resonate along their entire length. A top loaded design like the following poster recommends would likely be a better choice, but I didn't have one to try so I went to the roof where I knew I would get results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith
i returned them both and got a completely different style and it worked out fine (swr of 1.something) also i think the firestik type ones also tune better when mounted on the corner because they are a top loaded design, i used to have a firefly and was able to get it below 1.
Sub 1:1 SWR? That's impossible.
jeepinjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #25225
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Had Viper 20% film installed on the front windows. Matches very well from the outside, but seems slightly darker when sitting inside.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #25226
sixmikey9
2003 WJ 

I continued to hate my transmission, well, not so much the tranny, but my rebuild job. Still trying to figure out what I did wrong.
sixmikey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #25227
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aralph30 View Post
Does anyone have a cb radio with PA system I installed mine. But don't know where to put the external speaker. I can't find a good spot to mount it outside the car.
Have mine mounted under the hood, but it's damn loud even with the hood down.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #25228
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
I had a productive weekend. I went through 4.5 cans of Krylon Fusion satin black on my WJ. The most time consuming thing was my roof rails. Anyway, I painted my roof rack, cowl, front wiper arms, rear bumper cover, door cladding, both side view mirrors, all five door handles, and the hatch bezel. All I have left to do is the front bumper cover, rear glass hinges, the rear wiper arm, and possibly the fuel door. I want to paint the front grill, can I use the Krylon Fusion on that or should I use plasti-dip? I think it looks a lot better, here's a quick before and after...
If it's the chrome grill, you're better off getting a painted one and swapping it out. Easier to do than doing the chrome one.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #25229
aralph30
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
Have mine mounted under the hood, but it's damn loud even with the hood down.
where under the hood do u have it because I don't see it being that loud.
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #25230
aralph30
2003 WJ 

Got my wheel spacers yesterday. Planning on mounting them td. Any pointers while I'm doing them ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.