What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1665 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #24961
03azwj
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorjamm View Post

No, you need a compressor if you are replacing the coil springs. Nothing if you are replacing the shocks.

That's how I looked at it. It can be a huge pain in the *** to get to those top bolts, or even find them your first time doing it. The backs are very straight forward.
Yeah with two people it wasn't bad but I can imagine by oneself...it can be pretty obnoxious wih it spinning.

3" OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100, JKS adjustable trackbar, Moog SS, IRO UCA'S & LCA'S, 3/4" front and rear spacers, BFG M/T km LT255/75R17, JK Rubicon takeoffs, 8K HIDS Hi's & Lo's. full Rockford Fosgate set-up, blue l.e.d. interior, clumsy driver
03azwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #24962
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadOran View Post

Not that hard at all. Just make sure u have the rear on jack stands and remove the rear wheels . Otherwise its just 2 bolts, didnt take long at all
Why? You don't need to remove the wheels or put it on stands. The weight is on the springs not the shocks. I just undid top and bottom bolt with the car stood on the ground, pulled old shock put. Bolted new shock on at top, compressed new shock by hand a bit from the bottom and put bottom bolt in. Torqued up.Five minutes per side tops.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #24963
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia

Why? You don't need to remove the wheels or put it on stands. The weight is on the springs not the shocks. I just undid top and bottom bolt with the car stood on the ground, pulled old shock put. Bolted new shock on at top, compressed new shock by hand a bit from the bottom and put bottom bolt in. Torqued up.Five minutes per side tops.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
We found that taking off the rear wheels and letting the rear axle droop helped fitting the shocks into place much,much easier. But yes, you can just do it on the ground. But for us it make life easier to take off the wheels and let the axle hang a bit. Plus my buddy has a lift in his garage so we put it om that!

04 Steel Blue Pearl laredo WJ 4.0L, NV242 TC, 42RE Trans, Dana 30 & 35C, 3.55 gears: 99% stock. 80k miles
OffroadOran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #24964
vagov
2004 WJ 

rear shocks are easy bottom nut is a dummy nut. on mine. no need to counter spin its welded so the bolt comes right out. and if you are replacing stock fronts and dont plan on keeping old i found it easiler to cut away the plastic cover so you can get a hold of the top of shock under wheel wheel with a pair vice grips to keep it from spinning. 15mm deep socket on top and your done.
vagov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #24965
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAL23 View Post
I'll try this...and I typically drive with the windows up cause I like the darkness from the tint lol, but it never has smelled of coolant...and wsar10 I'll try and find one of those shops...never heard of it....figured everything should be good cause the PO had the engine rebuilt by a shop and I had the radiator thermostat and cap replaced all when I bought it
Honestly, I've had "mystery" disappearing coolant, at one time or another, in nearly every vehicle I own. I hate that sinking feeling that it could be nothing or everything. lol. If the oil doesn't look like pudding on my dipstick, and steam isn't coming out of the tailpipe, I can usually relax. There's just so many points that can leak. And if it's onto the engine and a small leak, it dries instantly and you can't see jack.

When you do eventually find it, let us know where it was. I'm curious.
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #24966
PHAL23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohsman
Honestly, I've had "mystery" disappearing coolant, at one time or another, in nearly every vehicle I own. I hate that sinking feeling that it could be nothing or everything. lol. If the oil doesn't look like pudding on my dipstick, and steam isn't coming out of the tailpipe, I can usually relax. There's just so many points that can leak. And if it's onto the engine and a small leak, it dries instantly and you can't see jack. When you do eventually find it, let us know where it was. I'm curious.
I'll be sure to let y'all know, it's definitely no leaking and gettin under the carpet, I checked all that...the dipstick is perfect...it not like pudding at all...I'll be changing the oil here soon in about 1500 miles...but the level hasn't changed or anything since I've changed it. I order to UOA kit to get a sample when I change it..we'll see if it's anything, but I don't think so. It's probably gonna be a mystery too.
PHAL23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #24967
aralph30
2003 WJ 

Thinking about putting a PA system in my car. Don't know if I should or shouldn't tho
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #24968
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAL23 View Post
I'll be sure to let y'all know, it's definitely no leaking and gettin under the carpet, I checked all that...the dipstick is perfect...it not like pudding at all...I'll be changing the oil here soon in about 1500 miles...but the level hasn't changed or anything since I've changed it. I order to UOA kit to get a sample when I change it..we'll see if it's anything, but I don't think so. It's probably gonna be a mystery too.
your looking for hi potassium in your UOA, maybe calcium. Although allot of oils have calcium in there add-pak.

Well let me re-phrase that HOPEFULLY you DON'T find hi potassium !

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #24969
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Swapped the chain in the transfer case, and replaced some seals. No more leaks or popping in 4WD.
Also did the quick discos on my rear seats so they can be out of the way for camping.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #24970
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Wired in a 1000w 230v inverter. Unit hidden behind knee panel below steering wheel. Extra PC cooling fan fitted dues to the relatively enclosed location. Illuminated switch on dash that turns on the inverter via a 100 amp relay. One socket in passenger footwell (see pic below) and one in the back next to the 12v power socket. Powers my wifes hairdryer no probs (well over 1000watts but the nearest thing I had to test it with!)

100_2812.jpg
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #24971
atinari
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Noticed things are pretty moist down there. Someone want to help out? What could be causing whatever this is and should i address it?
image-3688790362.jpg

atinari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #24972
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinari View Post
Noticed things are pretty moist down there. Someone want to help out? What could be causing whatever this is and should i address it?
Anytime you have a leak it is bad and could potentially be an issue. I would keep a close eye on it. Is it oil?
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #24973
BigAl63
2000 WJ 

Plasti-dipped the driver's side wheels this afternoon after work. Too tired to do the other side, maybe this weekend.
wj011.jpg  
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #24974
a77ferrel77
1999 WJ 

Gave my jeep a little liposuction today, cut out about 4" out of the spare tire area, was not a fun process. Hopefully be able to lift up the fuel tank this weekend.
photo.jpg  
a77ferrel77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #24975
atinari
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat
Anytime you have a leak it is bad and could potentially be an issue. I would keep a close eye on it. Is it oil?
oil or atf im not positive
atinari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.