What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1607 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #24091
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITEDwoLIMITS View Post
Quad tail light mod
What is that?

I installed a new intermediate steering shaft last night. It cleared up about 50% of the steering slop but it's still there and wanders on highways speeds. Contemplating to tighten the steering box even though its new....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #24092
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973

What is that?

I installed a new intermediate steering shaft last night. It cleared up about 50% of the steering slop but it's still there and wanders on highways speeds. Contemplating to tighten the steering box even though its new....
Your TRE's fine? The wandering on mine was actually worse when I tightened it. Stock pitman? Is it moving?
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #24093
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
Your TRE's fine? The wandering on mine was actually worse when I tightened it. Stock pitman? Is it moving?
TRE's are 4 years old (Moog), New Pitman arm (OMIX-ADA from Rock auto) was installed new with re-man. RedHead steering gear this year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #24094
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:

TRE's are 4 years old (Moog), New Pitman arm (OMIX-ADA from Rock auto) was installed new with re-man. RedHead steering gear this year.
Grab onto the sleeve (or the bar between the steering box and the axle) and try to twist it..also, do the same with the bar between the two wheels. Does it move or is it rock solid? If they are good you won't get very much twist at all (maybe slight movement).
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #24095
wsar10
2003 WJ 

last nite some ****** bag hit the WJ while parked in front of our house,
I could have choked the ****er !

banged up the front fender in the worst possible place........ directly behind the front tire so it binds up the door

He at least had enough class to stop and knock on our door to fess up (even though it was caught on our camera's) so at least that save me from paying a deductible. We just had the rear end fixed a few months ago

front fender, door repair, probably front wheel and something under neath that is causing it to pull slightly....

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #24096
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10

banged up the front fender in the worst possible place........ directly behind the front tire so it binds up the door

He at least had enough class to stop and knock on our door to fess up (even though it was caught on our camera's) so at least that save me from paying a deductible. We just had the rear end fixed a few months ago

front fender, door repair, probably front wheel and something under neath that is causing it to pull slightly....
Feel your situation right on there, mine got keyed once, most useless crime ever, ppl Are simply **** heads, no respect for others properties, sad

To stay on topic, put out an ad for part out party for the old wreck, hopefully i can Get some more funds back That Way.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #24097
tigerfan2
2002 WJ 

Got the news today that I have to do a full rebuild of my transmission. And to think I only took it in for a service. Just empty every pocket.
tigerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #24098
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
Grab onto the sleeve (or the bar between the steering box and the axle) and try to twist it..also, do the same with the bar between the two wheels. Does it move or is it rock solid? If they are good you won't get very much twist at all (maybe slight movement).
Tie rod (knuckle to knuckle) is Very stiff with little play. Drag link (from pitman arm to knuckle) rotates at least twice as much but stiff.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #24099
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:

Tie rod (knuckle to knuckle) is Very stiff with little play. Drag link (from pitman arm to knuckle) rotates at least twice as much but stiff.
That drag link could be it.. Anyone disagree? Mine is nice and tight and doesn't really move at all.
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #24100
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat

That drag link could be it.. Anyone disagree? Mine is nice and tight and doesn't really move at all.
Rotational play doesn't determine a worn out TRE, does it? I was under the impression side to side play is what determines that
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #24101
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2
Got the news today that I have to do a full rebuild of my transmission. And to think I only took it in for a service. Just empty every pocket.
Let me guess from Amco? That happened to me on a Toyota a long time ago, they rebuild my tranny four time before I did it my self, never gone back never had a problem since :-D

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #24102
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorjamm

Rotational play doesn't determine a worn out TRE, does it? I was under the impression side to side play is what determines that
When mine was shot I couldn't move them side to side.. They only rotated (I don't even know how you would test for that?). They also could've easily damaged them when putting in the new steering box. They aren't much and if they were off recently, they should be easy to replace. OReilly here tells me that they have a lifetime warranty if they are MOOG's.
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #24103
jeepinjeepin
2004 WJ 

Rotational play does not determine that a tie rod end is bad. Play parallel and perpendicular to the shaft does. They are a ball and socket type joint. They must be able to rotate to do their job. That being said, a new rod end will be tougher to rotate than a worn end.
jeepinjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #24104
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post

That sucks, but you're lucky enough to have had the person knock on your door. They at least gave you the courtesy of doing that, just not watching where they were going.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #24105
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin
Rotational play does not determine that a tie rod end is bad. Play parallel and perpendicular to the shaft does. They are a ball and socket type joint. They must be able to rotate to do their job. That being said, a new rod end will be tougher to rotate and a worn end.
I think we are talking about a different type of rotation.. I know that the joint needs to turn left and right but should he be able to roll them on the pitman and wheel joint?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.