What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1570 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #23536
bcvetter
2004 WJ 

Put a mopar hitch on my wj. $70 total. Took about two hours by myself.

image-2218012935.jpg

image-4182231197.jpg

image-1981785947.jpg

bcvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #23537
jeepinjeepin
2004 WJ 

I started to attach a piece of sheet metal to my roof rack cross rails for an antenna mount this afternoon but a storm blew in. That's fine, it gives me more time to think about it. I'm planning on using rivets. Anybody know the wall thickness of the rails and whether there is any internal structure to them?
jeepinjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #23538
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Got the new RC front LCA's in yesterday. Huge difference. No move weird vibrations through the steering wheel, no shuddering when braking hard at highways speeds. Feels like a whole new truck. The other thing is the whole front feels really tight now, and can feel the road like my old XJ used to do.

The flipside, is the steering is definitely a little off. Have to straighten the steering wheel as it's slightly turned to the left. There is a little bit of play, and when you turn the wheel just a small bit left or right it starts to turn considerably. I know something is off but not sure what. Everything we checked seems tight without play? Maybe should just start replacing the TRE's regardless and start there? Any ideas? At least it's not wandering like it did though, especially at higher speeds and in windy conditions. Now to track down the last which is the steeriing not being quite right. Definitely not the pump as it was replaced in december and have another steering pump (I believe it works) and intermediate shaft, just in case.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #23539
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scross1220 View Post
Do you have a pic of what you have in the grill? I want to do the same thing I just do not want to melt them.

Will have to try and add a good night shot with this if I can, but you get the idea...

Have a set of 90w strobes. Just haven't installed, but kept from my ZJ when it got totalled. Should see about getting them in the WJ.

And my gas mileage is really bad today. Twice as much as I usually do coming home this morning. The roof rack doesn't make much of a difference per say. Just the wind was so bad and of course coming home I go against it the whole way.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #23540
jeepinjeepin
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
The flipside, is the steering is definitely a little off. Have to straighten the steering wheel as it's slightly turned to the left. There is a little bit of play, and when you turn the wheel just a small bit left or right it starts to turn considerably. I know something is off but not sure what. Everything we checked seems tight without play? Maybe should just start replacing the TRE's regardless and start there? Any ideas? At least it's not wandering like it did though, especially at higher speeds and in windy conditions. Now to track down the last which is the steeriing not being quite right. Definitely not the pump as it was replaced in december and have another steering pump (I believe it works) and intermediate shaft, just in case.
Track bar and TREs would be a good place to start checking.
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #23541
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

That's what I was thinking. We can't find any play in the trackbar though, and TRE's seem good, but might just replace them anyways. Rule them out as an issue. Two were replaced a year ago, but with the problems due to the LCA's, very easily could be play. Ball joints and wheel bearing (again) was replaced as they were worn because of them. More or less the jeep is tracking pretty straight now. Just this last issue to track down.

Unread 08-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #23542
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Got the new RC front LCA's in yesterday. Huge difference. No move weird vibrations through the steering wheel, no shuddering when braking hard at highways speeds. Feels like a whole new truck. The other thing is the whole front feels really tight now, and can feel the road like my old XJ used to do.

Damn, those look pretty beefy, I'm glad she's riding better. My brother had play in his steering and he said it was his steering box. He sold the Jeep before he replaced it. I think it was his pitman arm, though. Good luck and let us know what you find.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #23543
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvetter View Post
Put a mopar hitch on my wj. $70 total. Took about two hours by myself.
Nice job, did you sand and paint the hitch?
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #23544
Glaciers37
2003 WJ 

First post but long time following. I've been trying to do more work on the Jeep myself, a nice change from sitting in a cubicle all day long. On Sunday I wasn't planning on doing anything but the weather was so nice I could pass up getting a couple of things done. I changed the transfer case fluid, the old stuff came out a very dark shade of brown, and also re-installed my front drive shaft after taking it out a few months ago chasing a rattle that ended up being a loose O2 sensor. I ended up replacing the CV-Joint because the rubber boot was ripped and installed a new U-Joint. The weekend before I installed new front calipers and brake hoses, I never realized how bad my old calipers were sticking until I started driving with the new calipers installed.
Glaciers37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #23545
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
Damn, those look pretty beefy, I'm glad she's riding better. My brother had play in his steering and he said it was his steering box. He sold the Jeep before he replaced it. I think it was his pitman arm, though. Good luck and let us know what you find.
The TRE at the pitman will be the first to change out. Then drivers side TRE but probably try to do them all of the same time once I have some money saved. Just catching up finally with everything and trying to stay there. Box for putting back my steering wheel controls should be in tomorrow (ordered today) so that will finally be working. Have replacement rear springs so thinking wait and get new isolators as well when I do it.

Unread 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #23546
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaciers37 View Post
First post but long time following. I've been trying to do more work on the Jeep myself, a nice change from sitting in a cubicle all day long. On Sunday I wasn't planning on doing anything but the weather was so nice I could pass up getting a couple of things done. I changed the transfer case fluid, the old stuff came out a very dark shade of brown, and also re-installed my front drive shaft after taking it out a few months ago chasing a rattle that ended up being a loose O2 sensor. I ended up replacing the CV-Joint because the rubber boot was ripped and installed a new U-Joint. The weekend before I installed new front calipers and brake hoses, I never realized how bad my old calipers were sticking until I started driving with the new calipers installed.
Once the bug bites, you'll do more yourself as much as you can. Sounds like your off to a good start! And welcome!

Unread 08-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #23547
ritchisonWJ
2001 WJ 

Took her into some trails here on ft bragg, not too bad with street tires and stock suspension..

ritchisonWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #23548
scross1220
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Will have to try and add a good night shot with this if I can, but you get the idea...

Have a set of 90w strobes. Just haven't installed, but kept from my ZJ when it got totalled. Should see about getting them in the WJ.

And my gas mileage is really bad today. Twice as much as I usually do coming home this morning. The roof rack doesn't make much of a difference per say. Just the wind was so bad and of course coming home I go against it the whole way.
Looks really good. I will be doing mine very soon thanks.
l_---l_l__l---[[COLOR="yellow"]o[/COLOR]]llllll[[COLOR="yellow"]o[/COLOR]]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)[/COLOR]

[SIZE="5"]If you're not fixing it, you're not driving a Jeep.[/SIZE]

---My Chariots past and present---

[COLOR="red"]1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 196,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Sold[/B]
[COLOR="yellow"]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 161,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Sold[/B]
[COLOR="blue"]2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 147,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Own[/B]
[COLOR="green"]2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.6L Stroker 122,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Own[/B]
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #23549
jeepinjeepin
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchisonWJ
Took her into some trails here on ft bragg, not too bad with street tires and stock suspension..
It may get pinned as a comfy road warrior, but it is still a Jeep and a darn good one at that.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #23550
bcvetter
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918

Nice job, did you sand and paint the hitch?
Nope it was basically new looking from the junk yard.
bcvetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.