Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your WJ today?

Tags
wj
5M views 53K replies 3K participants last post by  X-Hibition 
#1 ·
Tell us what you did!

Show pics!

I washed mine and Im still waiting for my lift to show up!

I put my new WHEELS and tires on with the jack :)

And replaced driver side axle shaft and changed all diff fluids.

See less See more
#30,181 ·
I must just have bad luck then, maybe they were bad U-joints from the beginning lol my heep has over 213xxx on her and runs better then the wife ford with only 68xxx on it lol.
were they sealed or greasable? sounds like maybe greasable ones that never actually got greased the first time...

i grease each part of both shafts every few months, but i find that the front centering ball assembly gets dry long before anything else (of course i'm on a 6" lift and running the next size up u-joints too).

#30,182 ·
Overheated on the way to the parents last night. CEL came on w/ a temp spike and said "oh sh!+". Before my wife could finish saying "what?!?" had crossed two lanes of expressway and shut her off.

Once cooled down, coasted to the nearest off ramp, careful not to overheat again. Was standing firm at 220-225°. Waited for the parents, put some water in and bought a water pump & thermostat. The very small amount of fluid seem to be around the harmonic balancer and not the hoses or radiator.

Going to replace the pump and t-stat tonight, but praying to the Jeep gods that I didn't blow another head gasket. That's a $1500 problem I can't afford right now. Last time, I overheated (idler pulley seized, belt torn to shreds) and shut her off almost immediately too; found out 5 months later I had milky residue in the oil, proving that 90 seconds of overheating can blow a head gasket on these 4.7L's.

#30,183 ·
theksmith said:
were they sealed or greasable? sounds like maybe greasable ones that never actually got greased the first time... i grease each part of both shafts every few months, but i find that the front centering ball assembly gets dry long before anything else (of course i'm on a 6" lift and running the next size up u-joints too).
Greasable I had a shop do the conversion, it ran fine, even went wheeling this a.m. very happy :)

#30,189 ·
VestaviaPirate said:
Overheated on the way to the parents last night. CEL came on w/ a temp spike and said "oh sh!+". Before my wife could finish saying "what?!?" had crossed two lanes of expressway and shut her off. Once cooled down, coasted to the nearest off ramp, careful not to overheat again. Was standing firm at 220-225°. Waited for the parents, put some water in and bought a water pump & thermostat. The very small amount of fluid seem to be around the harmonic balancer and not the hoses or radiator. Going to replace the pump and t-stat tonight, but praying to the Jeep gods that I didn't blow another head gasket. That's a $1500 problem I can't afford right now. Last time, I overheated (idler pulley seized, belt torn to shreds) and shut her off almost immediately too; found out 5 months later I had milky residue in the oil, proving that 90 seconds of overheating can blow a head gasket on these 4.7L's.
Sheesh. Makes me second guess on taking mine on a 15 hour round road trip. =/

#30,192 ·
Yesterday I replaced my liftgate lock actuator. The old one literally fell apart so it was fun getting the liftgate open. The liftgate and rear window both work properly now. Also replaced IAC and ordered some liftgate supports.
Ha ha, you're actuator repair made you realize how nice new hatch shocks would be, right? It's funny how that'll happen. Ha ha.

#30,193 ·
Past couple of days have been productive for the old girl.
Painted the hood.

Finally mounted the fire extinguisher.

Installed the trailer wiring harness. The mounting box was destroyed on the hitch when I scavenged it from the j/y. Need the harness so I can rent a trailer to fetch a radio tower and antenna.

Ordered some sill wipes from amazon. First batch had a bent one. No replacements just refund upon return. So I ordered a second set. Had one bent also. Luckily they were different ones so I got to pick the best looking ones. BS. But at least I got what I needed.

They are hard to remove since they were rusted and falling apart. The new ones just fell right on.

#30,194 ·
Past couple of days have been productive for the old girl. Painted the hood. http://s49.photobucket.com/user/whitetrashrocker/media/jeep/20140515_083554.jpg.html Finally mounted the fire extinguisher. http://s49.photobucket.com/user/whitetrashrocker/media/jeep/20140521_135805.jpg.html Installed the trailer wiring harness. The mounting box was destroyed on the hitch when I scavenged it from the j/y. Need the harness so I can rent a trailer to fetch a radio tower and antenna. http://s49.photobucket.com/user/whitetrashrocker/media/jeep/20140521_135842.jpg.html Ordered some sill wipes from amazon. First batch had a bent one. No replacements just refund upon return. So I ordered a second set. Had one bent also. Luckily they were different ones so I got to pick the best looking ones. BS. But at least I got what I needed. http://s49.photobucket.com/user/whitetrashrocker/media/jeep/20140515_205156.jpg.html http://s49.photobucket.com/user/whitetrashrocker/media/jeep/20140515_205409.jpg.html They are hard to remove since they were rusted and falling apart. The new ones just fell right on.
I had to use pliers to roll mine off, once I got them started with a plastic putty knife. Some rust underneath. Put rust inhibitor, primered, and painted before putting the new wipes back on.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons

#30,196 ·
Sheesh. Makes me second guess on taking mine on a 15 hour round road trip. =/
The good news this time was I was in the city; parents live 10-15 min. away, just use an expressway to get there. Bad news about last time, was on the way back from a wedding using back roads; 90 minutes from the closest auto parts place. Good thing I could call them up to see if they had the idler pulley, and the parents picked it up on their way out to me, 3 minutes before they closed.

OT: Replaced the water pump last night. If you take off the alternator (2 bolts and the electrical connection bolt), getting the old pump out is REALLY EASY! All the videos never mentioned it, said there would be enough room by just unbolting the pump and wiggiling it... there's not.

Will replace t-stat tonight. Didn't last night as the front skid plate was a PITA to get off (front bolts hard to get to), and it's right below access to the t-stat.

Hopefully no more overheating, although before the other night, it ran perfectly fine too, so who knows. The pump didn't have any play in it, but the seals we're probably gone. Hate to think I switched it out for no reason; although it's the original pump and I have 144k miles on it.

#30,200 ·
Xj bottle? Was it plug & play? Got one in the garage but actually lifted my rear tire flexin(Clayton 4.5")on a ramp before my tire rubbed the bottle, so I just haven't installed it yet
Yes. I reused the wj pumps. I also reused one of the screws from the wj bottle on the zj bottle because it happens to line up with an existing hole on the inner fender... it's held in place pretty well so far

Also I took the emissions thing that was in the way and flipped the hoses to the back side of the brake fluid reservoir. I zip-tied it near the firewall