What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1494 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 06-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #22396
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta4 View Post

Keep in mind the nut that holds the steering wheel onto the shaft is a one-time-use Nylock nut. When you remove it, you ne to replace it with a new one.
Never had mine off.....but surely its either Nylock OR a "one use" nut as Nylock nuts/bolts are designed to be used many times.

Unread 06-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #22397
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jeep View Post
MOOG TREs
Nice, are they the Problem Solver (heavy duty) ones that you have to install the zerk fitting onto and fill with greave? Asking because it looks like the grease boot is smashed almost flat and I thought they were supposed to be pretty much "inflated" with grease. The ones I'm about to install came with a hole in the top where you install the included zerk fitting (which has self-tapping thread that tap their own threads into the hole in the TRE) and while I could see a tiny bit of grease in there, I think they were intended to be filled with grease. I think you're supposed to fill it until it's full and won't accept any more grease or starts spewing grease out from being full. Just making sure you didn't install them without filling them with grease, because they'll probably fail really quick without being filled with grease.

By the way, how hard were they to install? Did you do all 4? And was it obvious which ones went where? Because mine aren't labeled at all. I think I should be able to figure it out based on the shape and which directions the threads go, though?

EDIT: It looks like the one in the picture is the drag link "TRE", the stock one that hasn't been changed yet. Not the Moog replacement. Never mind. But still interested...
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #22398
Shaggs2Dope
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredhawkeye View Post
You should think about making some more of those! I'm sure there would be quite a few of us who would gladly buy them from you.
X2. I'd like one

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #22399
Meta4
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Never had mine off.....but surely its either Nylock OR a "one use" nut as Nylock nuts/bolts are designed to be used many times.
Nylock nuts are considered one-time-use items for critical applications. The FSM, the Chilton manual, and WJJeeps.com both state the steering wheel retention nut should be replaced when removed.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #22400
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADragg View Post
Nice, are they the Problem Solver (heavy duty) ones that you have to install the zerk fitting onto and fill with greave? Asking because it looks like the grease boot is smashed almost flat and I thought they were supposed to be pretty much "inflated" with grease. The ones I'm about to install came with a hole in the top where you install the included zerk fitting (which has self-tapping thread that tap their own threads into the hole in the TRE) and while I could see a tiny bit of grease in there, I think they were intended to be filled with grease. I think you're supposed to fill it until it's full and won't accept any more grease or starts spewing grease out from being full. Just making sure you didn't install them without filling them with grease, because they'll probably fail really quick without being filled with grease.

By the way, how hard were they to install? Did you do all 4? And was it obvious which ones went where? Because mine aren't labeled at all. I think I should be able to figure it out based on the shape and which directions the threads go, though?

EDIT: It looks like the one in the picture is the drag link "TRE", the stock one that hasn't been changed yet. Not the Moog replacement. Never mind. But still interested...
i did the drivers side a while ago and now just doing the passenger side. in the pic the top one is not the moog (did not take that one out yet), the lower one is off and what i was photographing.

not hard to install, just can be time consuming if there are stuck in there reall good, but a torch usually takes care of that. and the moog's have a grease fitting on the bottom that you screw in. i never added grease to mine, cause when you get them, they are already filled with grease. if you compare them side by side the shape will be the same, but i found the moog's to be a bit longer than factory.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #22401
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buger561 View Post
I'm losing patience as well. Anyone know if the bezel from a laredo will fit a limited flush? I've heard otherwise, but may just have to go back to the JY and pick one up.

Also, is that a class IV hitch? The one I grabbed does not have the extra bracket on the bottom.

the hitch came from a donor '02 WJ Limited so I assume it's an OEM Class III hitch. I'll look up the bar code PN and try to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance-tek View Post
the one I got at the JY and installed didn't have that bracket either. I don't recall seeing anything about it in the install instructions either... what is it?
The hitch bracket attaches to the gas tank skid plate (GTSP) and is referred to as a 'rear cross-rail brace' on p.2 of the install instructions. My WJ is an '04 and had a single bracket attached to the GTSP. It was R&R'ed by the hitch bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Mine looked basically like that, but had both brackets on, not just the one.
cykarro is referring to part #3 r/side of the diagram which I did not have on the hitch. I only had part #3 l/side.

I dunno if there's a difference between the model years that necessitates both brackets on the GTSP; You'll have to see when you pull the bumper and check to see if there's roadside and/or curbside brackets already.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #22402
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Rotated my tires, and traced down another coolant leak. Found out my upper hose clamp on the thermostat side wasn't tight enough. I'm having so many problems with these damn hose clamps I bought from Advance Auto! Does anyone know of any hose clamps that won't leak every 3,000 miles?!

* And of course I can't embed a picture...
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #22403
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

Had a good weekend at the local jy. Picked a 242 tcase, the shifter assembly, driveshaft, factory hitch with harness and a new limited bumper cover. Got it all installed and went for a drive to learn that my passenger caliper is locked up.
Hlude1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #22404
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

Rear shackle tabs...

fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #22405
flightmedic238
2003 WJ 

New front and rear brakes rotors and parking brake shoes. New dura tracs and a cargo liner. Also put on a hitch.

image-1487554295.jpg

image-3652043992.jpg

image-3786858643.jpg
image-4218536985.jpg

flightmedic238 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #22406
flightmedic238
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmedic238
New front and rear brakes rotors and parking brake shoes. New dura tracs and a cargo liner. Also put on a hitch.
Oh and plasti dipped the rims
flightmedic238 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #22407
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta4 View Post

Keep in mind the nut that holds the steering wheel onto the shaft is a one-time-use Nylock nut. When you remove it, you need to replace it with a new one.
I never saw any kind of plastic on the nut. I know what a nylock nut is, but this nut did not look like one. I re-used it, torqued it to what the instructions said. Seemed like it was nice and tight and not coming off any time soon. The nut didn't look damaged in any way, and like I said, there was no plastic locking part on it. Some of the guys on here say one can just clean the nut and the surface and re-use the nut.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #22408
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918
Rotated my tires, and traced down another coolant leak. Found out my upper hose clamp on the thermostat side wasn't tight enough. I'm having so many problems with these damn hose clamps I bought from Advance Auto! Does anyone know of any hose clamps that won't leak every 3,000 miles?!

* And of course I can't embed a picture...
Just keep complaining about this picture crap. Hopefully somebody will fix it.
Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #22409
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmedic238

Oh and plasti dipped the rims
That rear liner looks really nice.
Jaketit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #22410
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Just went to move my car and I accidentally hit my transfer case shifter and it moved real easily. I crawled underneath to find out the plastic tip on the transfer case side deteriorated and the cable fell off. I used zip ties for now to keep it held in place. Has this ever happened to anybody? I'm going to try to find a shift linkage bushing kit and see if I can repair it. If not then I guess I'll have to replace the cable.
I love my WJ, but it is always something.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.