What did you do to your WJ today? - Page 1428 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your WJ today?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #21406
acgenrich6777
2002 WJ 

Wj Went for a hike!

Took Cherry out for a spin and dip up in the Wenatchee National Forest. Easy trail, but being mine and her first time. Thought I'd feel it out with the Quadra-drive in 4Lo. Awesome traction.

20130525_061527-1-.jpg  
acgenrich6777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #21407
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
Looks good. I'm usually not a fan of all black, but I love all WJ's the same.
I appreciate it highly, couldnt of done it without my dad. My dad was also not a big fan of the all black but i think im converting him to the dark side slowly but surely. This is basically my first car he bought me and have done everything together hasnt been taken to the shop once all done in our drive way. I really enjoy working on it with him i plan on making it a tradition. Hopefully my kids will like workings on jeeps as much as i do.

Thanks.
iwheelinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #21408
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03azwj View Post
That's looks great all around. How exactly did you do this. I want to paint mine to match my diffs.
Its a rather slow process if you want it done right but the way i did it was we had all the tires taped off from the rim with news paper covering the tires. we sanded them down real well and you have to make sure you sand them properly if you gotta spend and hour a wheel then thats what you gotta do. After we sanded them we got acetone and wiped them down real well to clean off any dirt or shavings. Then you just sit them up and paint them. We used 3 cans of wheel paint we got from our local autozone (black) and 1 red caliper paint, all the cans are labeled specifically. After youre done painting them to however dark you want them you gotta make sure you clear coat them real well also. thats also sold at autozone. Ive had them painted like this throughout the winter and went offroading and hasnt chipped and what not so im pretty satisfied with the amount of money ive spent (30 bucks) to get the amount of head turns runnin down the road. well worth it!!
iwheelinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #21409
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cadilli View Post
Hahaha emblem fail.
Grill came out nice tho

Attachment 630804
Haha, laughing with you here, but definitely fail.

Look up vids on YouTube for any kind of Plasti Dip project. There are tons of vids and channels dedicated to just Plasti Dipping stuff, including entire cars (and expensive cars at that). You'll see that you don't need to tap off the emblem like that, you just need to tap off a big square around the perimeter of the entire area of the emblem. Then you just paint that entire square/rectangle - including the emblem AND the paint of the vehicle inside that square. With some vehicles, the emblem is more "distinct" and has a more defined edge where it meets with the body of the vehicle. In those cases, you just spray the area and rip the square of Plasti Dip off and it will remove the Plasti Dip from the paint and will tear out perfectly around the emblem, leaving Plasti Dip perfectly applied only to the emblem. It will let you just rip the Dip off the paint and it will tear out perfectly so only the emblem is coated.

However, the WJ emblems aren't so distinct. They don't protrude very far and don't have a very "sharp" or defined edge around the letter. So you have to paint your area and after it's half-way dry, you take a tooth pick and trace around the letters, separating the Dip that's on the actual emblem/letters from the unwanted Dip that's on your paint. This way, you can still rip the Plasti Dip off the paint when it dries and it won't rip away from the emblems accidentally. However, if you don't do it at the right time and it dries too much, you will have to start over or you'll have to cut the rubber around the emblems with an Exacto knife, which doesn't work very well and can kind of mess up the paint since you'll be scratching it around the letters with the blade.

It might take a try or two til you get it right but then you'll get the hang of it. If you search Google, you can find pics of someone who did it to a WJ and it's sort of a write-up. They even show pictures of the letters after they've been "traced out" with a tooth pick as well as everything else I tried to explain here. It's hard with the Jeep logos because we don't have those big, bulging emblems with the right kind of edges that make it come out perfect with no extra work, but it can be done.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #21410
gordondude24
2000 WJ 

Heres some pics of the front end makover.
img_4369-640x480-.jpg   img_4478-640x480-.jpg   img_4480-640x480-.jpg  
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #21411
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Drove it to work in it whilst all my friends are out in the sun enjoying a three day. sunny, warm Bank holiday weekend in their gardens and in the pub.....and Ive got the same to look forward to tomorrow (and yesterday) !!......Im not pissed off or bitter at all obviously!
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #21412
A_Cadilli
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADragg

Haha, laughing with you here, but definitely fail.
This is my first time with plastidip and I felt a little sketchy after when I noticed a serious over spray problem happening :/ I know it comes off but how do you peel ever little dot or overspray? The toothpick idea is genius! That was my problem when I took the tape off, it peeled the plasti dip with it. At first I could've cut it and saved it but I didn't feel right cutting against my paint! So I just ripped the entire E off. I am happy with plastidip as a product tho and will attempt to fix some other things. Like a wear spot on my rack. But as for emblems.... Ill probably just buy the black ones

Here's a day shot of the grill tho

image-3956591308.jpg

Jeep emblem still failing hard! Hahaha
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #21413
Mudder_Trucker
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjidaho

At least it's a cummins and not a power-stroke
Hey watch it. I love my Powerstroke. Not as fuel efficient as the Cummins, but there's too many Cummins owners that black out every intersection they take off from. I don't wanna be classified as one of them. I have the 1996 body style, it's my favorite. Ford makes my favorite trucks. That body style is second best to the '79.
Mudder_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #21414
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder_Trucker

Hey watch it. I love my Powerstroke. Not as fuel efficient as the Cummins, but there's too many Cummins owners that black out every intersection they take off from. I don't wanna be classified as one of them. I have the 1996 body style, it's my favorite. Ford makes my favorite trucks. That body style is second best to the '79.
Two friends of mine and I took a '71 camper special, lifted it, made it 4x4 and manual, and swapped a 12 valve cummins in it. It is sweet!

Bot:
My jeep just sits in the driveway and will be there for the next month or so. I do have a driveline from Kolak on its way, but i need to rebuild the motor before I put it on. It's so sad just seeing it sit in one spot
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #21415
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder_Trucker

Well I a jeeper and that about it the happiest day of my life was getting rid of my ford, just got the wife's to get rid of and then no more fords bawhaha

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #21416
BrugsBunny
2001 WJ 

Started work on replacing my thermostat because it went kaput last night...pull the housing off, take the old one out, and come to find out pep boys have me the wrong part -_____-...and I had to be at work in half an hour...so work has been postponed to tomorrow...
BrugsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #21417
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Lightly tinted my tail lights!
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #21418
SierraRipper
2000 WJ 

[QUOTE="A_Cadilli;15481273"]Making my first attempt at plastidip. I would call this the "patient lazy mans" way haha

Lol how did you get the tape so perfect on there? Hahaha thats awesome i might have to give it a try tomorrow haha
SierraRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #21419
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

Leeroy had a birthday!

image-4123995229.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #21420
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep01AH View Post
Leeroy had a birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Happy 180, Leroy!
That reminds me, I have had my WJ's up to about 110 MPH, has anyone ever figured out the top speed of them?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.