Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your WJ today?

Tags
wj
5M views 53K replies 3K participants last post by  X-Hibition 
#1 ·
Tell us what you did!

Show pics!

I washed mine and Im still waiting for my lift to show up!

I put my new WHEELS and tires on with the jack :)

And replaced driver side axle shaft and changed all diff fluids.

See less See more
#28,381 ·
Yeah I only have the top half of my front bumper and as far as cutting the rear bumper I am not scared at all, the only thing that worries me is cutting the fenders, but I will have to do that with the fender flairs
Oh, then you'll clear no problem!

#28,382 ·
shockracer said:
Oh, then you'll clear no problem!
:thumbsup: kinda figured it would work. everyone has been asking why I stopped at 31s lol I don't "rock crawl" to say but their is some runs were it is a "rocky road" along with the 32s I also plan on a front skid plate, sliders, and copy gcjeepings rear armor :) that should cover protection for the mild rock trails

#28,384 ·
I made some brackets out of some thin aluminum sheet metal then painted them black and mounted with screws and double sided tape so there was no chance of squeak or rattle.
Didn't think about the double sided tape but will definitely will add some to my mounts that I come up with. Thanks for the idea and tips

#28,390 ·
TAG Rock Sliders - Final Update

So I spent hours over the weekend trying to mount the TAG Rock Sliders but came to the conclusion they are too far off to use. Once I started drilling and bolting I found that the mounts would require significant shimming that would take the brackets away from the unibody frame rail and would not be structurally sound/safe. I doublechecked to be sure I hadn't gotten them reversed (left on right, right on left) but the variation was just too much (over half an inch in places).

The final mock-up looked good from the outside, but it just wasn't working underneath.

I am pretty disappointed. I suspect that a shop with a bit more practical experience might have been able to make them work but I simply lack the tools and patience to put any more time into these.

I hate to admit defeat but plan now is to locate a set of factory Overland Rock Rails, which will actually be more in keeping with the Expedition Rig theme, and will just bolt-up.

#28,392 ·
TAG Rock Sliders - Final Update So I spent hours over the weekend trying to mount the TAG Rock Sliders but came to the conclusion they are too far off to use. Once I started drilling and bolting I found that the mounts would require significant shimming that would take the brackets away from the unibody frame rail and would not be structurally sound/safe. I doublechecked to be sure I hadn't gotten them reversed (left on right, right on left) but the variation was just too much (over half an inch in places). The final mock-up looked good from the outside, but it just wasn't working underneath. I am pretty disappointed. I suspect that a shop with a bit more practical experience might have been able to make them work but I simply lack the tools and patience to put any more time into these. I hate to admit defeat but plan now is to locate a set of factory Overland Rock Rails, which will actually be more in keeping with the Expedition Rig theme, and will just bolt-up.
GCJEEPING has a set for sale, if you are up to driving to get them.

Sent from my iPad using electrons

#28,393 ·
theksmith said:
nearly finished with the rear-screen projector project... i'll post a write-up once it's 100% complete. for those that ask "Why?" - mainly just cuz. but it should help get the kid ready for bed when camping!
Thats seriously awsome stuff, enjoy!!!

#28,394 ·
GCJEEPING has a set for sale, if you are up to driving to get them.

I saw that, would be one hell of a drive unfortunately - gonna swing by local JY today and see if I can score a set there, maybe a set of 5.9 ZJ Hood Vents (I know GCJEEPING has a set of those too - if I can't find them local I may try and get those).

I could grab a Cessna 182 and fly myself up to Sacramento, but $1000 in rental/fuel for a $100 set of Rock Rails would be silly.....:D

#28,396 ·
nearly finished with the rear-screen projector project... i'll post a write-up once it's 100% complete. for those that ask "Why?" - mainly just cuz. but it should help get the kid ready for bed when camping!
That's a good idea. I see you have a door open, is that because all the sound is in the front part of the vehicle?

#28,398 ·
rdkendrick said:
That's strange, I never had that problem with my dome lights. Did you try reversing them, as the are diodes? Sent from my iPad using electrons
Yeah when I switch them around they don't work I'm thinking it's just because I got cheap eBay LEDs they didn't have resistors built in but I mean just a 2 dollar resistor and now they are work as they should so I'm not complaining. I got all the less from eBay for like 10 dollars so I'm still happy with them,this is what I had to do if you look there's nothing on the back so I believe there was no resistor built in

Attachments

#28,399 ·
That's a good idea. I see you have a door open, is that because all the sound is in the front part of the vehicle?

yes, i originally mounted a couple speakers in the hatch and was going to run a smaller high efficiency amp just for them. however, since the tablet is already integrated with the factory amp i decided to abandon that idea and just use the existing system. leaving the front doors open (or even all 4) directs plenty of sound rearward.

my only real concern is the current draw from the factory amp (it seems to be very inefficient), coupled with the projector, and the fridge which i usually am running on a camping trip. but, i plan to eventually replace the entire sound system, so i'll probably go with one of those little efficient rockford fosgate amps like the PBR300X4 for the main speakers.

#28,400 ·
Yeah when I switch them around they don't work I'm thinking it's just because I got cheap eBay LEDs they didn't have resistors built in but I mean just a 2 dollar resistor and now they are work as they should so I'm not complaining. I got all the less from eBay for like 10 dollars so I'm still happy with them,this is what I had to do if you look there's nothing on the back so I believe there was no resistor built in
i had the same problem because i did my interior LED conversion a long time ago. the older generation LEDs didn't have integrated resistors or dual polarity capability. a single resistor fixed fixed mine as well.