Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your WJ today?

Tags
wj
5M views 53K replies 3K participants last post by  X-Hibition 
#1 ·
Tell us what you did!

Show pics!

I washed mine and Im still waiting for my lift to show up!

I put my new WHEELS and tires on with the jack :)

And replaced driver side axle shaft and changed all diff fluids.

See less See more
#24,861 ·
I cannot post pictures, yet I just took some good ones...

Today I started my day by taking my wife to work in the WJ, went to Napa, and dropped ~200 US on Marine Clean, Metal Prep, POR-15 and Top Coat.
Drove thru the Robo-Wash, gave her a good air dry, then "flexed" my 2004 by putting the 8" ramps up on concrete blocks, and proceeded to apply the new purchases. Over the course of the day, front on the block/ramp rear on the block/ramp combo, RF on ramp with LR on ramp and then LF on ramp with RR on ramp. I stink, I am covered with toxic sh*t. I have beaten the rust monster back another day. I finished my day taking pictures of "her" on the last set of ramps. I wish I could post the last set of pictures I took, looking into the setting sun at the 1500' driveway that is the way home (working up top on the level is much nicer, and have power!) "over the river and thru the woods, to grandmothers house we go" is the best way to describe what I (we) do to this vehicle. 1500' linear, 90' grade change. 800' feet of open field with drifts that pi$$ me off, as I have to back up, and clear the hood, so I can see where I am! I am not giving up my 3rd Cherokee, 2nd Grand easily to the rust monster. What would I replace "her" with? A snow cat? Sled dogs? Do they have heated seats? Mirrors that defrost themselves? The ability to make the better part of 70 MPH in 600'? Tomorrow I think I will just sit in "her" for a while, and "JAM"... 'cus I am one tired puppy!

#24,863 ·
Today, we bought her a 2004 Grand Cherokee from a friends dealership locally. It has a few cosmetic issues of its own, but we got it out the door for $5k, and I thought we did alright. I don't think we stole it, by any means, but it seemed to be a good deal. What do you guys think? I'll be frequenting the WJ forum more often as I try to deal with new Jeep issues other than TJ issues.
What engine? 4x4 I imagine how many miles? I too own a TJ and added a WJ to the mix. picked up a 2004 WJ 4.7HO Quadra Drive with 101k miles for $4500 so $5k sounds reasonable to me.

OT I'm working on getting the Clayton 6" lift installed.

#24,864 ·
Got my tow hooks mounted today. I need to trim the bumper just a hair so that the bumper can sit where it normally sits, its pulled down about 1/2 a centimeter. Not really noticeable but it is to me haha. I'll post a write up sometime of the brackets i made. These things will rip the front of the jeep off before the bend or break lol

Attachments

#24,865 ·
#24,866 ·
What engine? 4x4 I imagine how many miles? I too own a TJ and added a WJ to the mix. picked up a 2004 WJ 4.7HO Quadra Drive with 101k miles for $4500 so $5k sounds reasonable to me.

OT I'm working on getting the Clayton 6" lift on.
ooh another local WJ. what are you live in?

#24,868 ·

OT I'm working on getting the Clayton 6" lift on.
Kind of bummed now.. lol! It's the 4.0L Selec-Trac Laredo. The Limited had all the creature comforts that I wanted her to have but I was just too pissed off that the Jeep didn't look like it did in the ad to care, and she didn't want it either as a result of that. This one has some issues, and I thought we got a pretty reasonable price for it, but you got a far better deal it sounds like.

#24,869 ·
ooh another local WJ. what are you live in?
SWFL - Ft. Myers area. might have to make a trip up to wheel with the mid-florida club looked like a good time.

Kind of bummed now.. lol! It's the 4.0L Selec-Trac Laredo. The Limited had all the creature comforts that I wanted her to have but I was just too pissed off that the Jeep didn't look like it did in the ad to care, and she didn't want it either as a result of that. This one has some issues, and I thought we got a pretty reasonable price for it, but you got a far better deal it sounds like.
There used cars so things come up, mine was not without issues itself. I had the transmission go into limp mode after a month of owning it and had to buy a new solenoid pack for the trans and install it. That was after having it leave me stuck at work because it wouldn't start. It had an aftermarket alarm that was messing with the SKIM. Removed the junk Viper alarm and no more issues. I'm sure once you get yours sorted it will be a great Jeep and I think you did fine buying it.

#24,870 ·
Changed fluid in Transfer Case, and both diferentials. also changed spark plugs. Changed the TPS a montha ago to help with the idle, that helped but the plugs fixed it. Bought oil for diffs, and case at a jeep dealer (that hurt) and champion plugs from napa ($100 lest then the jeep dealer)

#24,871 ·
Was going to bleed the brakes, but stopped before rounding off the bleed screws (both rears).

Bought a small jack (perfect for hauling from the basement to the parking lot). Got the 3T stands though, as I do plan on a 4" lift one of these years

I do have a bad axle seal (for a while now). Sure is messy back there.

Since I didn't bleed the brakes, I washed the old girl instead. Doesn't quite look like 205k hard miles, does it?

Attachments

#24,872 ·
Was going to bleed the brakes, but stopped before rounding off the bleed screws (both rears).

Bought a small jack (perfect for hauling from the basement to the parking lot). Got the 3T stands though, as I do plan on a 4" lift one of these years

I do have a bad axle seal (for a while now). Sure is messy back there.

Since I didn't bleed the brakes, I washed the old girl instead. Doesn't quite look like 205k hard miles, does it?
I hope your keep checking your diff. fluid !

#24,875 ·
Of course! Don't have the money for new axles and/or gears (yet).
the issue is you may be setting yourself up for a new axle period, the seal goes bad the bearing goes bad and than wears a groove in the axle. At that point you HAVE to change the axle. Money may be tight, but I would rather come up with less than $50 now vs a few hundred later.

Ask me how I know !!! (not literately)

#24,877 ·
Definitely! It's not just a leaking seal. The metal wire/spring thing on the rear caliper was rubbing on the hat of my rotor so I got it done right away. Was lucky and no damage, but could have been bad if I kept driving it that way. Turns out that mine was done at sometime before, but wasn't done right so it wore out prematurely. Has been find since it was done beginning of the summer.

#24,880 ·
Got a passenger side heated mirror that works with the memory function and got a driver's side front door harness to make the side mirror dim with the auto dimming rear view mirror I installed. Wife is a happy camper!

Yeah, I know, mall crawling mods, I don't care! I'm trying to add as many OEM options as I realistically can on this '04 Laredo.