Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your WJ today?

Tags
wj
5M views 53K replies 3K participants last post by  X-Hibition 
#1 ·
Tell us what you did!

Show pics!

I washed mine and Im still waiting for my lift to show up!

I put my new WHEELS and tires on with the jack :)

And replaced driver side axle shaft and changed all diff fluids.

See less See more
#22,701 ·
Received Bilsteins and BB kit that I will try and install this weekend

Replaced factory dash speakers with some polk 3.5s that are on sale at crutchfield for $30 shipped, i recommend them. Took about 2 minutes of trimming to make them fit into the dash.
Also plastidipped front upper and lower grill, fixed ac (hopefully), replaced taillights, installed roof rack cross bars, installed powered sub...I think that is it.

#22,705 ·
let me know what you thing of them, im debating buying the same tire. i get a military discount through firestone save me a few bucks. what size are you running?
I have had two sets of these in the past. The set I bought for my truck 31-10.5-15's (it was a S10 ZR2) lasted really well I think I had about 20k on them when I sold the truck and they looked new. The set I bought for my WJ (prior to my lift so they were smaller) I only got about 40k on them and they were basically shot. The only thing I didn't like was that they seem to not clean out real well and would often throw rocks if I did a lot of gravel.

Would I buy another set? Maybe if they were the larger size. No, if it was the stock size for my WJ. However, when I lifted my WJ I went with BFG AT KO's (which is what my ZR2 had on it when I purchased it) and I really like those. They clean out fairly well and seem to have really good traction. I got probably 80k on those.

#22,710 ·
Got stuck in traffic on my commute this morning..Then wouldn't you know my WJ suddenly overheated, which has been happening a lot if I sit at idle for awhile. Happened once about a year ago, but it was 100 degrees out so I didn't think too much of it. However, today it is only 65 out.

Time to check my thermostat, e-fan, radiator...any other ideas?

#22,711 ·
bigredhawkeye said:
Got stuck in traffic on my commute this morning..Then wouldn't you know my WJ suddenly overheated, which has been happening a lot if I sit at idle for awhile. Happened once about a year ago, but it was 100 degrees out so I didn't think too much of it. However, today it is only 65 out.

Time to check my thermostat, e-fan, radiator...any other ideas?
Is your e-fan working? If not, the relay was my issue. Same symptoms BTW..

#22,712 ·
vagov said:
let me know what you thing of them, im debating buying the same tire. i get a military discount through firestone save me a few bucks. what size are you running?
255 75 17. Put 130 miles on them already. No complaints yet. I was running the crappy sr-a's so just about anything is an improvement. The Firestone dealer by my house is kicka$$ and they always do a great job.

#22,713 ·
I added an AUX port to my factory radio using the CD changer control harness. I took an older write up from smunns (grey goose wj) and updated the info a bit. I have a 99 WJ and his write up was for the 02-04 WJ's. The radio/cd connector/wiring is a bit different between the 99-01 and 02-04's. I took his wiring diagram and updated it so the people with a 99-01 would have a quick reference sheet. Works perfectly, I spent $10 and about an hour to complete.

I won't rewrite his article, you can find it here...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/gray-goose-build-thread-1089523/#post9992383

You'll need the radio shack stereo adapter... $3
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451

and a 3.5mm Male to Female 6'-8' extension. $6

Using his info as a guide, I wired the aux adapter directly to the back of the CD connector harness and plugged in the 8' aux cord extension to it there. It is secured and hidden behind the radio. I ran the aux cord extension under the console up near the seat belt harness, the excess length is wrapped up and tucked behind dash at the front of console. From there, using a standard male/male aux cord I can plug in whenever I want to play my iphone/ipod. My thought was, if a connector or cable goes bad, I would like to be able to replace it easily... I also didn't want to mount the aux adapter permanently to the dash since I'm sure I'll eventually upgrade the radio. Just press CD and voila...music from the phone.

Here's the updated wiring diagram that shows both WJ models...

Testing the connection...

Soldered...(thats just black tape between the connections)

Taped and Secured...

finished... :) also a good shot of all that fake plastic wood grain I covered up with plasti dip!

Hope it helps someone else... super easy and cheap if your just needing an aux port.
I had considered this from the other write up, but I have a 2000. Your post will definitely help. Thx!

#22,716 ·
pinky2252s said:
I don't understand were people get that information. The battery is not used as the main source for electricity while at idle. I have a pretty crappy battery and my car can idle for as long as it needs too. The alternator still charges and powers the system at idle.
From experience. Same thing happened to mine. The battery was toast. The Jeep would start but die if I didn't manually keep it idle with my foot on the gas. Went and got a new battery and everything was back to normal.

#22,720 ·
Fixed leaking rear differential seal. Unfortunately, two top bolts were broken off. And the only way to get to them was to drop the fuel tank. And, to do that, I had to remove the factory tow bar. Turned into a much larger project than expected.

I'd post photos...but apparently my phone makes photos that are about 4KB too large.