What can I do with this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What can I do with this?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
mtennwj
2000 WJ 

What can I do with this?

I know these are for towing your jeep behind an rv.
Just been trying to think of a way to mount some d rings or possibly a winch maybe both I do know people with welders. I would just like to know if anybody has used these as a base for anything or any ideas are much appreciated thanks

Last edited by mtennwj; 03-13-2014 at 07:19 PM..
mtennwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Pull them off, put tow hooks on. Sorry, I cannot open the picture. I get a connection error when I try, but I have seen those before. Will D-rings fit, or are the mounts too thick? I can't remember if they have a hole in the end, or not.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtennwj View Post

I know theses are for towing your jeep behind an rv.
Just been trying to think of a way to mount some d rings or possibly a winch maybe both I do know people with welders. I would just like to know if anybody has used these as a base for anything or any ideas are much appreciated thanks
I saw this and instantly thought of you jousting with other jeeps. You could do that.
VBJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
mtennwj
2000 WJ 

Yes it does have holes in the end kinda looks like a 1-1/4 reciever I was thinking I could maybe find some metal to weld up that slides in and out both places and some pins and make a removable winch plate with recovery points on it.

It looks like where the tow hooks would go would this be a strong enough base for a winch?

Lol jousting with jeeps when u look from the top there not actually that Lon looking

Sorry about the pic first time trying I used photobucket and just copied the IMG code thing
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

If You're good with welding and those are properly mounted in the OEM tow hook location you can build a bumper off that...
Mp5ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
mtennwj
2000 WJ 

Thanks I haven't done much welding but my dad has welded a couple BBQ smokers before I know he would help I just can't believe out of all the creative stuff I have seen fabbed here nobody has done anything with these.Where it actually mounts Behind the bumper looks pretty beefy and there is a bar connecting both of them and even some wiring I could possibly tap into.
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

Build a cowcatcher/bulldozer attachment so you can get thru the zombie hordes...

Just kidding. Bumper.

"Be polite... Be professional... But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/
fayceoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Is that a plow mount?
jra8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
mtennwj
2000 WJ 

No it's actually for towing behind an rv this has been a memphis jeep it's whole life and we don't get much snow so most people around here don't even know you can put a plow on a vehicle lol
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
new2site
2002 WJ 

Mount some bull horns on thar
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtennwj View Post
No it's actually for towing behind an rv this has been a memphis jeep it's whole life and we don't get much snow so most people around here don't even know you can put a plow on a vehicle lol
lol. Man I wish I lived in Memphis if that's the case, because I hate snow!
jra8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
losttech

2000 WJ 

Maybe have someone weld you a winch plate for it if you want a winch that is.
Or as someone else has mention a nice base for a brushguard if you want one.
Would be a cool spot to mount a high lift jack maybe.
Or just through some D rings in in and call it a extraction bar.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Quote:
I would just like to know if anybody has used these as a base for anything
Short answer: Not likely. Tow bar mounts are meant for pulling a rolling load that doesn't exceed GVW. For recovery, you need something that will handle shock loads (which is completely different than the static loads the trailer mount is meant to handle) as well as up to 3x your curb weight.

That all said, and if it's the roadmaser style (*long* plate and long tubes, mounting that goes back along your uniframe rails, with a bolted-in crossmember behind the fascia in front of the condenser):

Yes, you can do something with it, likely without hurting others during recovery... HOWEVER: Those receptacles are comparatively small (1-1.25" would be my guess). This is likely too small for any kind off the shelf hitch-mounted shackle tab, and with a single 1/2" bolt or cross pin to secure things, not exactly confidence inspiring.

Your easiest option would likely be creating an insert (1x1.5 for a 1" tube) and welding it in, drilling a cross pin hole to 3/4" for a 5/8" shackle. It's less beef around the anchor pin than I'd like to see, but it's something you could probably get away with:

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com

Last edited by Fawkes; 03-14-2014 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
bugaboots
2002 WJ 

KEEP THEM!!! They look like they are the road master style mounts, I just installed a set on my dads 04 to drag behind the motorhome. They go back to the swaybar mount and atatch in like 4 or 5 spots on each side with a stout backing plate and a backing plate on the bar that ties them together.

Dad and i will be fabbing something up this summer when he gets home. If you want when we do i can post it here so that it can be for all to see. Still dont know how we are going to do it exactly but we have a spare set of the front recivers to build off of from the vehicle that got totaled prior to the jeep.

Fawkes, this is where i got the idea to extend the mounting points back to the swaybar mount for a more secure mount. These are quite stout mounting system.

Robert
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
mtennwj
2000 WJ 

^ I took a look early today and I believe they are road master and they do go back past the sway bar and it connects to them remember to think about posting something when you fab something up and I'll do the same if I get a chance to do something this summer

Btw when I looked them up the road masters are like 400$+ I would hate to just take them off and have them sitting around but whatever I do I'm gonna have to make sure it's safe and secure but to me they look more secure than the factory to hooks

Fawkes thanks for the pic and info

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.