JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   What can I do with this? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/what-can-i-do-2213417/)

mtennwj 03-13-2014 07:45 PM

What can I do with this?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...psf3b4974e.jpg

I know these are for towing your jeep behind an rv.
Just been trying to think of a way to mount some d rings or possibly a winch maybe both I do know people with welders. I would just like to know if anybody has used these as a base for anything or any ideas are much appreciated thanks

rdkendrick 03-13-2014 07:58 PM

Pull them off, put tow hooks on. Sorry, I cannot open the picture. I get a connection error when I try, but I have seen those before. Will D-rings fit, or are the mounts too thick? I can't remember if they have a hole in the end, or not.

Sent from my iPad using electrons

VBJeepWJ 03-13-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtennwj (Post 21220897)
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...psf3b4974e.jpg

I know theses are for towing your jeep behind an rv.
Just been trying to think of a way to mount some d rings or possibly a winch maybe both I do know people with welders. I would just like to know if anybody has used these as a base for anything or any ideas are much appreciated thanks

I saw this and instantly thought of you jousting with other jeeps. You could do that.

mtennwj 03-13-2014 08:16 PM

Yes it does have holes in the end kinda looks like a 1-1/4 reciever I was thinking I could maybe find some metal to weld up that slides in and out both places and some pins and make a removable winch plate with recovery points on it.

It looks like where the tow hooks would go would this be a strong enough base for a winch?

Lol jousting with jeeps when u look from the top there not actually that Lon looking

Sorry about the pic first time trying I used photobucket and just copied the IMG code thing

Mp5ben 03-13-2014 08:17 PM

If You're good with welding and those are properly mounted in the OEM tow hook location you can build a bumper off that...

mtennwj 03-13-2014 08:26 PM

Thanks I haven't done much welding but my dad has welded a couple BBQ smokers before I know he would help I just can't believe out of all the creative stuff I have seen fabbed here nobody has done anything with these.Where it actually mounts Behind the bumper looks pretty beefy and there is a bar connecting both of them and even some wiring I could possibly tap into.

fayceoff 03-13-2014 09:23 PM

Build a cowcatcher/bulldozer attachment so you can get thru the zombie hordes...

Just kidding. Bumper.

jra8858 03-13-2014 09:55 PM

Is that a plow mount?

mtennwj 03-13-2014 11:17 PM

No it's actually for towing behind an rv this has been a memphis jeep it's whole life and we don't get much snow so most people around here don't even know you can put a plow on a vehicle lol

new2site 03-13-2014 11:45 PM

Mount some bull horns on thar

jra8858 03-13-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtennwj (Post 21227337)
No it's actually for towing behind an rv this has been a memphis jeep it's whole life and we don't get much snow so most people around here don't even know you can put a plow on a vehicle lol

lol. Man I wish I lived in Memphis if that's the case, because I hate snow!

losttech 03-14-2014 01:41 AM

Maybe have someone weld you a winch plate for it if you want a winch that is.
Or as someone else has mention a nice base for a brushguard if you want one.
Would be a cool spot to mount a high lift jack maybe.
Or just through some D rings in in and call it a extraction bar.

Fawkes 03-14-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

I would just like to know if anybody has used these as a base for anything
Short answer: Not likely. Tow bar mounts are meant for pulling a rolling load that doesn't exceed GVW. For recovery, you need something that will handle shock loads (which is completely different than the static loads the trailer mount is meant to handle) as well as up to 3x your curb weight.

That all said, and if it's the roadmaser style (*long* plate and long tubes, mounting that goes back along your uniframe rails, with a bolted-in crossmember behind the fascia in front of the condenser):

Yes, you can do something with it, likely without hurting others during recovery... HOWEVER: Those receptacles are comparatively small (1-1.25" would be my guess). This is likely too small for any kind off the shelf hitch-mounted shackle tab, and with a single 1/2" bolt or cross pin to secure things, not exactly confidence inspiring.

Your easiest option would likely be creating an insert (1x1.5 for a 1" tube) and welding it in, drilling a cross pin hole to 3/4" for a 5/8" shackle. It's less beef around the anchor pin than I'd like to see, but it's something you could probably get away with:

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/.../JF_insert.jpg

bugaboots 03-14-2014 09:48 AM

KEEP THEM!!! They look like they are the road master style mounts, I just installed a set on my dads 04 to drag behind the motorhome. They go back to the swaybar mount and atatch in like 4 or 5 spots on each side with a stout backing plate and a backing plate on the bar that ties them together.

Dad and i will be fabbing something up this summer when he gets home. If you want when we do i can post it here so that it can be for all to see. Still dont know how we are going to do it exactly but we have a spare set of the front recivers to build off of from the vehicle that got totaled prior to the jeep.

Fawkes, this is where i got the idea to extend the mounting points back to the swaybar mount for a more secure mount. These are quite stout mounting system.

Robert

mtennwj 03-14-2014 01:47 PM

^ I took a look early today and I believe they are road master and they do go back past the sway bar and it connects to them remember to think about posting something when you fab something up and I'll do the same if I get a chance to do something this summer

Btw when I looked them up the road masters are like 400$+ I would hate to just take them off and have them sitting around but whatever I do I'm gonna have to make sure it's safe and secure but to me they look more secure than the factory to hooks

Fawkes thanks for the pic and info

The time now is 08:48 PM.