What broke? Shock mount bracket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What broke? Shock mount bracket?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Outofluck

What broke? Shock mount bracket?

I thought I posted this. All well. Brought car to shop after noise. He said this is not worth repairing. It is a 1999 grand Cherokee. He said it is stabilizer link bracket but it looks like the shock mount bracket and.. it's just a mess. Opinions? Price for repair? What parts am I looking at in these pics? My mech savvy is limited to fixing stabilizer links and sway bars. This is right front. Thanks. I am in Massachusetts.

Outofluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
WJChris

1999 WJ 

I cant tell from your pictures, they are too close up.

It looks like your brackets tore from the axle.

please post more info about your Jeep and pics from a little further away.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofluck View Post
I thought I posted this. All well. Brought car to shop after noise. He said this is not worth repairing. It is a 1999 grand Cherokee. He said it is stabilizer link bracket but it looks like the shock mount bracket and.. it's just a mess. Opinions? Price for repair? What parts am I looking at in these pics? My mech savvy is limited to fixing stabilizer links and sway bars. This is right front. Thanks. I am in Massachusetts.

Looks like the track bar mount and everything else attached to it. Is the frame sitting on the axle? You might be able to get away with swapping axles (grab one from a junkyard) but honestly, if the rust is that bad, ditch the whole jeep.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Looks like the track bar mount and everything else attached to it. Is the frame sitting on the axle? You might be able to get away with swapping axles (grab one from a junkyard) but honestly, if the rust is that bad, ditch the whole jeep.
Yea exactly... spring perch and trackbar bracket. Amazing that the coil is still there... Fused by rust? Yikes. It would be just a matter of time before the driver side ripped off too (although it has arguably less stress on it since there's no trackbar attached...). I agree. If the rest of the Jeep is that rusty, I wouldn't waste money on simply repairing the perch and mount, or even replacing the axle, which is the only other option really.
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.