What is acceptable play in front driveline coupler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is acceptable play in front driveline coupler?

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Karlinwa
1989 FSJ Cherokee 

What is acceptable play in front driveline coupler?

I have a 2000 GC Laredo..This forum helped me out in December, fixxing low speed chattering by changing the transfer case fluid.

There is a throttle sensitive droning or humming noise at freeway speeds. When the throttle is on it hums, when released goes away.

Not certain if this is residual from letting the transfer case oil get burned.

Took it to a shop and they found a bad right rear wheel bearing, which contaminated the pads and park brake, now repaired.

I asked them to check the u-joints / etc. and the tech said the front driveline coupler has "a lot of play". Could this cause the trouble?

Karlinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

It can cause allot of problems down the road. I'd personally get it fixed right away. The last thing you want is for it to bind up and break. But I'd go someplace else and have it checked. No offense to your mechanic, but I'm never heard of a wheel bearing contaminating brakes before. Sounds like he was trying to get a few extra bucks out of you.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Karlinwa
1989 FSJ Cherokee 

I miswrote that- the failed bearing ruined the seal which allowed the rear axle gear oil to leak out get on the pads.
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Still shouldn't happen.
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
Still shouldn't happen.
Of course it will...... I had it happen on both sides. Bearing fails allows more movement in the axle which miss shapes the seal and your differential gear oil leaks out of the axle firstly ruining your e brake shoes then running out the bottom of theIr housing onto the disc and disc guard which gets cleaned off by the pads...ruining them in the process. My rear pads were low anyway and the e brake did not work since I bought the Jeep so I cleaned it all up and put it back together after I did the bearings. Worked ok..Ish (front brakes do most of the stopping) until I replaced my e brake shoes and discs and pads all round, a couple of weeks back. Now all brakes A1 again!
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Karlinwa
1989 FSJ Cherokee 

I was able to get a new front CV to replace the worn out one works great, and saved me junkyarding an driveline or doing a new one at $450.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.