Wet floorboard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wet floorboard

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
2000jwj

Wet floorboard

My driver side floorboard is wet. It's only the driver side. I noticed it after I washed my jeep. Any ideas of how to figure it out or stop it?

2000jwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Take someone with you who can see where the water is coming in when you wash it. That should narrow it down.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
99GCLWJ
1999 WJ 

same problem here

I was going to ask the same question when I noticed you already did. I just bought my 99 about a week ago and the driver's side floor is staying wet. At first I thought it was just from the PO getting in with snow on their shoes but it hasn't gotten any better and the carpet padding is saturated. I would like to address the issue before it causes the floor to rust. Debating removing the front carpet and rolling on some type of bedliner material, but the carpet is decent so I kind of hate to do that. I did take it through a carwash once but didn't notice if it was any worse after.
99GCLWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
2000jwj

Yeah I thought it was from getting in with wet feet but it hasn't rained or anything for my feet to be wet and after I washed it, it was soaked. I don't know how water could be getting in. My carpet is perfect I'd hate to tear it up but I don't want it to rust through
Unread 03-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
js12278
1999 WJ 

Could be water leaking in past the roof rack bolts/seals. Target the area with a garden hose and sit in there with a flash light and door closed mats out and carpet pulled back. See if you can see it running down the A post to the floor.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
2000jwj

Okay I'll try that. Could it be my heater core? I do need a new heater core just wondering if it could be from that
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
js12278
1999 WJ 

Why do you need a heater core?
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
2000jwj

No heat
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
fiveseven15
2000 WJ 

taht could be the little valve that lets coolant into the core. usually its the passenger side that gets wet when the HC leaks? is the bottom of the door wet at all? that might help narrow down the cause of the leak
fiveseven15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
2000jwj

See I thought it was the passenger side that leaked too. Someone suggested if it could the HC just checking. But no my door isn't wet or anything that's what I can't figure out. Nothing is wet except for the middle of the floorboard
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
fiveseven15
2000 WJ 

yeah usually it all ends up on the passenger side, and i would think you could use a paper towel to blot the moisture to see if theres any color to it to know WHAT it is. if the bottom of the door is dry my next guess would be the windshield seal might be leaking, or the wiper tray area? i could be wrong, but every HVAC issue ive heard of either heater hoses/core/plugged drain all happen on the passenger side..

maybe crawl up under the dash and check the grommets for the brake pedal/booster/throttle cable etc? those are the only other places i could imagine water getting in without leaving a stain or trail on other interior parts
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
2000jwj

Yeah I've always known it to leak on passenger side. I'm thinking its a bad seal somewhere or something other than HC . If it's the windshield or wiper tray how would I check to see if it is? Just spray it with a water hose? Ill look up under the dash too never thought about that
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
fiveseven15
2000 WJ 

i know theres the 3 T25 torx screws, and i guess you'd have to remove the wiper arms and then you could pull the whole thing off, but i think you can just get away with taking off the T25 and lifting it to get a look under it with a flashlight. i checked a roof leak and found it because there was dirt/dust in the shape of a puddle, but no standing water to be found. maybe you can see that way? look for the runoff dirt stains? or if none of that works, can you dilute UV dye in water, and pour the bucket over that side and blacklight the interior? thats alot more trouble though lol
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

I honestly don't know this for sure, but in most vehicles there is an outlet for extra moisture in a box on the passenger side of the vehicle. I don't know/remember if it's the heater core or condenser for the AC but regardless this outlet CAN get clogged with dirt/mud and generally gunked up and you might have to take this box apart well enough to see if you can blow some air through that outlet (Computer duster or better would be from an air compressor) to clean the gunk out of it.

You know that water you usually see under your vehicle when you've sat parked and idled for a little while forms a little puddle? That is from the condenser outlet. It serves specifically as basically an overflow for when the condenser sweats too much water.

I haven't personally had this happen in my Jeep but I've had pretty much this exact thing happen in most every car or truck I've ever owned at some point in time.
If your condenser is really dirty it will cause the AC system to produce more water than it should so you might need to pull it out and have it cleaned and/or at a bare minimum see if you can blow out the little tube going from the condenser to the firewall. Sorry if I haven't used the correct terminology but I have no experience with ACs. Just going on personal experience here and I don't know what some of this stuff is called LOL

In my old work truck that had no carpet on the entire truck we would just take the cover off and use the pressure washer to clean the condenser....There would be a glut of nasty, muddy water come out and then everything was fine.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski View Post
I honestly don't know this for sure, but in most vehicles there is an outlet for extra moisture in a box on the passenger side of the vehicle. I don't know/remember if it's the heater core or condenser for the AC but regardless this outlet CAN get clogged with dirt/mud and generally gunked up and you might have to take this box apart well enough to see if you can blow some air through that outlet (Computer duster or better would be from an air compressor) to clean the gunk out of it. You know that water you usually see under your vehicle when you've sat parked and idled for a little while forms a little puddle? That is from the condenser outlet. It serves specifically as basically an overflow for when the condenser sweats too much water. I haven't personally had this happen in my Jeep but I've had pretty much this exact thing happen in most every car or truck I've ever owned at some point in time. If your condenser is really dirty it will cause the AC system to produce more water than it should so you might need to pull it out and have it cleaned and/or at a bare minimum see if you can blow out the little tube going from the condenser to the firewall. Sorry if I haven't used the correct terminology but I have no experience with ACs. Just going on personal experience here and I don't know what some of this stuff is called LOL In my old work truck that had no carpet on the entire truck we would just take the cover off and use the pressure washer to clean the condenser....There would be a glut of nasty, muddy water come out and then everything was fine.
He has a problem with driver's side. What you are talking about is on passenger side.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.