Weird ticking sound coming from engine. Any ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird ticking sound coming from engine. Any ideas?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
PurpleSplat
2000 WJ 

Weird ticking sound coming from engine. Any ideas?

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L V8 with approximately 148,000km. The oil is changed every three months (I never hit the 5,000km mark.) and the plugs were changed about 45,000km ago.

This past weekend while on a road trip, an odd ticking sound came from the engine when it downshifted going up hill while on cruise control. The speed the cruise control was at, was 110km/h.

It's hard to describe the ticking sound, but I suppose the closest thing would be sounding like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle, but with a more metallic sound.

I've owned the Jeep for a little more than 3yrs and this sound has only occurred 3 times. Once a couple of years ago and twice over the weekend. Each time is was the same scenario.

The sound doesn't happen when I'm not using cruise control or accelerating on a flat road or uphill. The last time I heard something similar was in a 1986 Ford Mustang with a 2.3L engine and someone told me it was the camshaft. I wound up blowing the motor in it, and I don't want to go through that again, so I'd like to either get it fixed now, or trade it in before it becomes an issue.

Thanks for your help.

PurpleSplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

[QUOTE=PurpleSplat;9183763]I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L V8 with approximately 148,000km. The oil is changed every three months (I never hit the 5,000km mark.) and the plugs were changed about 45,000km ago.
QUOTE]

i have a ticking also. usually it is a sticky lifter but this is not loud enough. i have been told it might be a really small exhaust leak. if you have a sticky lifter it will will increase on acceleration. if your oil is to low that will cause lifter noise as well. i would probably seafoam the crankcase and go from there. ron
[B][/B][SIZE="1"][B]aussie[/B] rear end, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brake pads, [B]ironman[/B] adj.front upper/lower and rear lower control arms, [B]teraflex [/B]4" spring lift, [B]fat bobs[/B] 2' bb, [B]rusty's[/B] drop pitman arm, [B]jks[/B] adjustable trackbar, [B]moog[/B] tie rod ends/ball joints, [B]rancho 9000[/B] shocks, [B]kor[/B] dual stabilizer, [B]rough country[/B] front and rear bump stop extensions, homebrew front quick disconnects, [B]rough country[/B] rear swaybar link drop kit, [B]IRO[/B] a-arm spacer, transfer case drop kit, homebrew rocksliders, [B]rola[/B] roof rack, [B]speed bleeders[/B], 2" wheel spacers, 4-[B]treadwright[/B] guard dog mt 265/75/16, mud flaps, [B]superchip[/B], [B]k&n[/B] cold air intake, straightpiped, chrome tailpipe tip,[B] v-led[/B] hid headlights w/halo,[B] v-led [/B]hid foglights w/halo, [B]kidde[/B] fire extinguisher w/bracket, [B]maglite[/B] w/mounting bracket, [B]cobra[/B] cb, [B]firestik[/B] antenna, [B]white gauges[/B] gauge face overlays, [B]viair[/B] compressor, blue led interior lighting upgrade, [B]hi lift[/B] 48" jack, [B]hi lift[/B] jack base, wind deflectors for: hood, moon roof and windows, [B]sony[/B] stereo, [B]garmin[/B] nuvi gps, recovery D ring, interior mount keyed battery switch, custom dash brackets for gps, cb, sat radio, cellphone, bumper mount halogen reverse lights, [B]cobra[/B] radar detector, [B]smittybilt[/B] gear seat covers and tailgate organizer, [B]browning[/B] rooftop camo cargo bags, grille insert, washer fluid reservoir relocation, foldup cargo carrier, aluminum side steps, [B]addco[/B] rear swaybar, deer whistles, [B]mobile one[/B] synthetic oil, [B]slick 50[/B] high mileage oil additive, [B]k&n[/B] oil filter
[B]TO DO:[/B]
[B]reece[/B] front hitch, [B]warn[/B] winch, [B]elocker [/B]or [B]arb[/B] front selectable locker, [B]bulldog[/B] remote start, [B]hi lift[/B] essential parts kit, 2-[B]hella[/B] driving lights, [B]gerry[/B] can and bracket, stinger bar, wood dash kit, snorkel, washer fluid heater, rear swing tire carrier, finish the skid plates, fender flares, [B]addco [/B]front swaybar[/SIZE]
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Sounds like valve knock to me initially. I would check the TB, pull the air filter and inspect the plugs for needing to be changed.

It could also easily be water in the gas that's accumulated from the cold weather and parking in heated and non-heated conditions frequently. Where was the gas gauge each time it occurred?

Based on the above (and suspecting valve knock) I would (in order of cost & severity):

1. Add in a bottle of dry gas and use a higher octane fuel for a tank
2. Clean/replace the air filter
3. Clean the TB
4. Inspect/replace plugs

In general, it's a good engine. A few issues will make it dead before 300,000KM like low oil levels, bearing issues from poor OCI practices and overheating.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
PurpleSplat
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Sounds like valve knock to me initially. I would check the TB, pull the air filter and inspect the plugs for needing to be changed.

It could also easily be water in the gas that's accumulated from the cold weather and parking in heated and non-heated conditions frequently. Where was the gas gauge each time it occurred?
I didn't think to check the gas gauge when it happened, but it only happened on my road trips, so an educated guess would be at about half a tank. It's rare that I'd be under that... I like to keep the tank full and it's less of a shock when I'm at the pump.

I was planning on changing the plugs this year anyways, so I'll take a look at them. It's been about a year/15,000km since I've cleaned the air filter so I'll take a look at that.

There's some black sticky/oily residue in the throttle body right where the air box sits... The Jeep's been revving a little high at times and I have to kick it off to get it back to normal. I'm thinking that might be the culprit there.

I'll try your suggestions and see where it gets me.
PurpleSplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

if you are putting a heavy load on the engine (i.e. going up a large hill) could be just some predetonation, or pinging, had a car that would do that. Nothing major. And you say it has only done it a few times, that would make me think that that is what it might be.
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
acceleration , engine , engine noise , ticking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.