Weird One - 'Burning' Smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird One - 'Burning' Smell

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Weird One - 'Burning' Smell

I'll keep this short and sweet.

Dropped of the WJ for the wife to pick up our son. She drove for 20 minutes, let it idle while she picked him up, hopped back in and called me stating that it smelled funny. She stopped by work so I could look at it. Sure enough, weird smell. Another jeep 'fella and myself poked around a bit. I think the smell is resonating from the engine bay and is also getting carried into the cab. There is no smoke, no fluid dripping, no weird noises, etc.

Are you ready for this... It smells to me like burning garbage. The best 'description' we could come up with is it kind of smells like burning plastic.

I did a really quick search on here and saw that 4Tom had a similar issue once that turned out to be an alternator.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the situation.

Thanks!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Did some plastic wrap around the end of the axle. Did a plastic bag get caught on the exhaust?
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Hmmm... I'll have to check when I have access to it. That's a possibility!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
snoWJ
1999 WJ 

I've had the same smell off and on for the last few years, definitely rubber-ish smelling. Always thought it was a bad idler pulley or belt tensioner, but no culprit as of yet.
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
snoWJ
1999 WJ 

Forgot one other thing...I hit the A/C button the other day by accident while the heat was on (and it was like -3 F), which let to a pretty gross coolant smell until I realized what I had done and turned it off.
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

I am having the same sort of smell. It is realy only on when the heat is on. It sort of smells like a mix of coolent and trans fluid. Same as you no drips/leaks, checked all my fluids nothing is low...
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
William2point0
1999 WJ 

I had the same smell going on. I pulled the trans dipstick with the Jeep hot and running, noticed a bit of smoke coming out. Replaced the ATF and filter, the smell is gone!
Unread 02-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
BandGauto
2004 WJ 

A slight valve cover or oil pan leak can cause a strange odor when engine oil gets on a hot engine or exhaust part. It doesnt take much to produce a funky smell in the cabin. Also if you park your Jeep outside, mice love to store seeds and other items anywhere they can in the engine compartment, often near the exhaust manifold, just something else for you to consider.
BandGauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #9
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

Possibly the neighbor's cat ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandGauto View Post
Also if you park your Jeep outside, mice love to store seeds and other items anywhere they can in the engine compartment, often near the exhaust manifold, just something else for you to consider.
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Haha nice.

I talked to the wife this morning and she said it stopped smelling bad after I looked at it yesterday. When I get home this afternoon (was out of town), I'm going to give it a proper look over. I'll report back with what I find. Thanks for the suggestions!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Looked it over - coolant was good, oil was good, transmission fluid was good, and there was nothing wrapped around the axle. I did notice a bunch of snow packed up in the right front wheel. I wonder if the stink was snow/salt burning on the rotor. I left it in the garage to melt off. I'm going to let it go for now and see if it returns...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
snoWJ
1999 WJ 

Any update or did the smell vanish?
Unread 02-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Well, ultimately the smell vanished. I thought I caught a whiff of it a couple days later but it went right away. We've been driving it all week and haven't noticed it. I'll report back if something changes!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #14
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm still catching a hint of the smell from time to time. I keep assuming it has something to do with the snow/salt but ultimately, that's just a guess. The highs are above 40 all week with Thursday being 55 and a 90% chance of rain. Maybe if the snow/ice/salt/cinder melts and washes off the roads, I can clean up the jeep and verify my assumption this weekend.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to throw them my way!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
dcampbell4
2002 WJ 

I have had a lingering smell for a number of months now. Interested to see if you find anything before I do, and if I find something I will definitely report back. I plan on taking advantage of the tropical 50's heading our way to take care of a few things I have been putting off with this wonderful Chicago winter we are having.
dcampbell4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.