Weird engine problem (Kind feels like misfire) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird engine problem (Kind feels like misfire)

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
01jeepGCL

Wj Weird engine problem (Kind feels like misfire)

I have been having a problem with my jeep (2001 4.0L automatic) for some time now and only seems to show it's ugly face when the weather is above 80*.

I start the Jeep, everything runs fine. I drive for a time frame of longer than 15 minutes (the jeep gets warmed up) and the temp gauge is right below the middle as it should. Say I stop and grab some food (5-10min stop). I get back in the Jeep and and crank her up. She starts up with no problem but the motor starts shaking and gets worse if I rev the engine a bit. I don't get an check engine lights or anything. I did notice that when this happens my temp gauge goes a little above the middle of the gauge. Then it starts to move back to a normal temp. condition. The shaking stops when the temp needle drops. I have never overheated before but this is the only time it happens. Could this just be a bad sensor? I'm not familiar with the wiring but on my Acura Integra the gauges was controlled by a single wire to a sensor and did not run to the computer at all. Does this gauge read from the ECT sensor? If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ryan

01jeepGCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
ddtwdmb
1999 WJ 

Have you run the diagnostic procedure? See if it's getting any error codes, easy to do, read about it at http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm ..if it's a sensor it may show up, even without the check engine light coming on.
ddtwdmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Same thing happened to me on my V8. I replaced the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and it solved it.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
ddtwdmb
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Same thing happened to me on my V8. I replaced the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and it solved it.
Same here
ddtwdmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
BWYoung85
2004 WJ 

Heat Soak causing a misfire on injector 3, TSB Link: http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1803103.pdf

I had this exact problem with my WJ when it started getting warmer outside. I used Reynolds Heavy Duty aluminum foil, and folder over until it was about 1/16 of an inch thick and wrapped injector 3 and 4 and secured it with zip ties. 3 and 4 are at the center of the motor and are exposed to the most heat once the engine is turned off. I also wrapped my fuel rail around this area as well. I know it sounds farfetched, but it worked for me. Before you go replacing sensors try this out. Let us know how it works for you.

There is a learning curve to everything.
BWYoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
01jeepGCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWYoung85 View Post
Heat Soak causing a misfire on injector 3, TSB Link: http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1803103.pdf

I had this exact problem with my WJ when it started getting warmer outside. I used Reynolds Heavy Duty aluminum foil, and folder over until it was about 1/16 of an inch thick and wrapped injector 3 and 4 and secured it with zip ties. 3 and 4 are at the center of the motor and are exposed to the most heat once the engine is turned off. I also wrapped my fuel rail around this area as well. I know it sounds farfetched, but it worked for me. Before you go replacing sensors try this out. Let us know how it works for you.
I will give this a shot. It only happens on hot days 90* +. And more so when I run my a/c it seems. I will check to see if I have any codes on my lunch break. I was going to try to just turn the power on and see where the temp needles goes. Like I said it only happens when the needle goes passed halfway on the temp gauge. If I let the jeep run a minute the needle moves back to half way and the idle stablizes. Kinda of strange. I will give the foil a try and check the codes.

I will let you guys know how it goes. The heat index is in the 100's already so I should be able to get see the symtoms. I'll try to get a video as well.
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
n61870

If none of those things work, here's another $.02...My Jeep was doing something similar, I thought it was a heat problem but then it started doing it in the cold, I thought it was a throttle position sensor but both myself and a mech checked it and it was good. Anyway, I finally ran across a tech bulletin about the 4.0L exhaust valves sticking, causing the engine to run rough. The solution was to use the Mopar cumbustion chamber cleaner. I used the cleaner and followed the instructions, havent had the problem since. Do a search for that particular service bulletin because the instructions in the bulletin and the instructions on the can are different. I think the cleaner was around $10 at the dealer, I bought 2 just in case but one was enough so I ran the other through my old ford ranger and it actually improved the gas mileage.
n61870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

What grade gas are you using? Ethanol free?

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
01jeepGCL

Im using 87 octane and I'm sure it's got some amount of Ethanol mixed in with the fuel. I didn't think the jeep needed higher octane fuel. I only run the higher octance (93) on high compression or forced induction.

I will look into the Mopar cleaner. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Either that or Sea Foam.
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
coloboardin
2002 WJ 

I'm glad this was posted, I'm having the exact same issues right now. It was 102* yesterday and had a very rough start. If the CEL isn't on will it still throw a code?
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

I've got 04 4.0 auto and mine did same last summer. Almost exactly. Would drive, stop at food place and then start it up. Would run rough and shake. I was so mad, id just bought it. I read about heat soak and it sounded like my problem. When I was using cheap gas is when it happened. I would just stomp on the gas a few times to clear out injectors, would be fine till I hit a stoplight. Then it would run rough again. I changed my gas station and only use ethanol free premium, hasn't done it once this year luckily with 106 temps. I haven't done anything else besides better gas. Just my experience.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.