Weird air tube under driver seat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird air tube under driver seat?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
FluxCapacitor

Weird air tube under driver seat?

Hey I've searched the web for what this is but to no avail, but there is this air tube that comes out from under the drivers seat on my wj and it looks like you could connect it to another air tube or pump if you wanted. I don't know what it's for, but I'm assuming it is something for the seat? Anybody else have this in their wj?
Here are some pictures of it:

image-114308513.jpg

image-2652927909.jpg

image-1931324408.jpg

FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

That's definitely custom. Someone probably had an air compressor hooked up in the rear or something to that nature. Where does the other end of the hose go?

Also what is that thing next to it? That's also got to be custom installed, I've never seen anything like it.

Did you buy a WJ that someone already built up some?
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
FluxCapacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename
That's definitely custom. Someone probably had an air compressor hooked up in the rear or something to that nature. Where does the other end of the hose go? Also what is that thing next to it? That's also got to be custom installed, I've never seen anything like it. Did you buy a WJ that someone already built up some?
Thanks for the reply, after some investigation, it seems as if the tube goes underneath the car towards the engine area:

image-1258254579.jpg

Here is a pic of the other latch thing, it doesn't go to underneath the car

image-2819243142.jpg

The car is as stock as a potato as far as I know:

image-1801028878.jpg
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
fast540
1999 WJ 

That's odd. I'd locate the other end of that tube
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
FluxCapacitor

So I tracked it and found that it goes up and across the engine space, and then underneath the battery and connects to a cylinder looking thing image-2991339850.jpg image-2725448433.jpg image-1448587337.jpg image-3823730818.jpg image-4175068164.jpg EDIT: Followed a different tube from the cylinder thing and found it goes to the plug in unit for when it's being towed. On the side of the cylinder are the words BRAKEaway. I had bought it from a guy that had towed it behind his rv a lot and so I'm now guessing that the rv had an air pump that pumped air whenever it braked and the air would go to a mechanism that was latched to that latch thing and the mechanism would press on the brake pedal.

Last edited by FluxCapacitor; 12-18-2013 at 05:32 PM..
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
MBDiesel
2014 WK 

Vacuum line for a motor home brake pump? The Wrangler I used to have had a vacuum hose run from under the hood to a connector next to the driver's seat that looked a lot like that. Got the Jeep from a relative who towed it behind a motor home.
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
FluxCapacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiesel
Vacuum line for a motor home brake pump? The Wrangler I used to have had a vacuum hose run from under the hood to a connector next to the driver's seat that looked a lot like that. Got the Jeep from a relative who towed it behind a motor home.
It could be that, it's definitely something to do with that cylinder brake pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.