warped wj rotors - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > warped wj rotors

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
Darnice
2004 WJ 

As Losttech says, if the lug nuts are not put on in stages and torqued to 100 ft/lbs, you will warp rotors.
I have put over a million miles on cars and never warped a rotor when the lug nuts were installed correctly.
I have over 200,000 on my 04 WJ, never warped a rotor.

The best rotor in the world, will warp if installed incorrectly.

Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #17
vagov
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I'm having basically the same problem. '04, replaced the front end with EBC green pads and centric rotors less than a year ago and they already feel warped again. Jeep only has 95k miles on it, brake parts might have 20k. Maybe its the rear now, who knows.
when i got it inspected last july, my mechanic told me to replace the rears sometime this summer, didnt say anything about the fronts, however there probally is plenty of pad left, but the rotors could still be warped. so im thinking to do all 4 anyhow.
vagov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #18
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

SOME 04's were fitted with the Teves. It depends if your GC was one of the first run. If you are in the first batch with Teves, junk them. Buy Akebono's. Problem solved. Screw all this fancy schmancy spendy crap like Brembo's with cross drilled, 25 piston, 55" diameter, 3 bricks thick junk. You need new CALIPERS. Teves are junk. Akebono's will solve your problem.

Ask me how I know.

P.S. - lug nut torque: VERY important.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Perhaps consider running Stillens if you are going to convert (as I did) to akebonos. I decided that changing rotors twice (once from Teves to Akebonos, then later to Stillens was silly).

Do it one and well, then don't look back. IMHO & experience. Kolak of course....

Good luck!
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
vagov
2004 WJ 

I beleive they are already akebonos. The front calipers look like one full peice and the rears are slightly smaller with a bar that locks down on front. Will try posting pics when i get home.
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #21
vagov
2004 WJ 

i think the fronts are akobonos and the rears are treves, is this common on a 04 limited??? and why would they be that way???
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #22
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

^^^ Yes Akebonos in front and Teves in rear is a standard factory setup from around 2002 onward. Before that it was Teves all around. Akobonos resist disk warping.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #23
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

Over torqueing warps rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I'm having basically the same problem. '04, replaced the front end with EBC green pads and centric rotors less than a year ago and they already feel warped again. Jeep only has 95k miles on it, brake parts might have 20k. Maybe its the rear now, who knows.
Over torqueing warps rotors. I bought a 99 loaded Laredo in 99 and Jeep replaced the warped rotors at 15k miles: they said they were over tightened at the factory.
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 01:45 AM   #24
vagov
2004 WJ 

the rear pads are not different though, if I buy on line for a wj, do I have to specify akobonos on front and treves calipers on rear? don't want to wait for parts, only to find out there wrong?
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #25
MadderThanMax

Go for the more expensive Tarox discs.. I've had a seized pin in mine for a while and replaced the pins and greased all round and there's absolutely no damage to the discs at all.. I have the Akebono set up and my pedal is back to normal, so I'd recommend the Tarox discs, incidentally I'm also running EBC's and no issues at all.. pulls up Reeeaaall Nice! Uh Huh!
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #26
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

www.wjjeeps.com

It will answer your questions without all this "buy new, buy big!" crap.
Unread 08-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #27
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagov View Post
when I first bought my wj the front rotors were pretty shot. bad vibration and steering wheel shake. so I replaced them with powerstop extreme truck and tow pads and drilled and slotted rotors, since I use my jeep as a tow vechile for my camper as well.. only got about 14.000 miles on them and it feels likes the rotors are warped again, any suggestions on a longer lasting brake system?
Chances are that your caliper slides are stuck. Get a new caliper hardware kit from the dealer cheap and make sure to use Hi-Temperature brake part lube on the pins.

If there is not much wear on those rotors, get them turned for a few bucks and a new set of pads.

BTW, its very hard to actually "warp" the metal of a rotor. Most shimmy feeling is either increased run-out or uneven brake pad residue buildup....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #28
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973 View Post
Chances are that your caliper slides are stuck. Get a new caliper hardware kit from the dealer cheap and make sure to use Hi-Temperature brake part lube on the pins.

If there is not much wear on those rotors, get them turned for a few bucks and a new set of pads.

BTW, its very hard to actually "warp" the metal of a rotor. Most shimmy feeling is either increased run-out or uneven brake pad residue buildup....
Your profile says you have an 02 WJ which would mean that you're a 2nd gen WJ and you have the Akebono's. You say that it's actually very hard to warp a rotor. Have you ever owned a WJ with the Teves? If not, then please don't say that it's hard to warp a rotor. Teves do it ALL the time, no matter how beefy or new a rotor is. It's one of the well-known defects of Teves and the prime reason that the second gen. WJ's got the Akebono's.
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #29
palric

Get Kolak's Stillen setup.

I have 25k on my set and have beaten them pretty good and still lots left front and rear. No warping. They are way, way better than the factory setup.

And who does not torque their wheel nuts on anyway? That's basic stuff. Goes without saying.
palric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #30
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
Your profile says you have an 02 WJ which would mean that you're a 2nd gen WJ and you have the Akebono's. You say that it's actually very hard to warp a rotor. Have you ever owned a WJ with the Teves? If not, then please don't say that it's hard to warp a rotor. Teves do it ALL the time, no matter how beefy or new a rotor is. It's one of the well-known defects of Teves and the prime reason that the second gen. WJ's got the Akebono's.

Actually your rotors are not really warping from heat, so that is not the proper terminology. The Teves aren't designed and don't function properly which wears out the rotor unevenly. Again, the pulsations can be from runout or brake pad residue build up causing variations in rotor thickness. If you aren't familiar with how brakes work, i suggest google would be your friend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.