Warning to all wj owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Warning to all wj owners

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
GNX

Wj Warning to all wj owners

I recently went 4x4 in some deep water . I got a 4 inch Ruff country lift kits and 31" tires. So the water was deep . just to give everyone a heads up only WJ models have NO BREATHER HOSE to the engine bay . so be very carfull when going through deep water. The breather hole is located at the fron of the transmission above the tork converter. it is highly recomender to put a breather hose on. The transmission has to be pulled out . The original hole must be pluged and a new one drilled and fitted with NPT swaglok..

I am in need of a 42RE transmission if anybody can help please let me know

GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
XJH-007

Sooooooooo, you somehow sucked H2o into your tranny?

and it fried your tranny? did you try draining and flushing?
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Yep, it is pretty well known on the forum. There is a write up somewhere on how to put in a breather tube.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
MNWJ
1999 WJ 

Disappointing to hear that they would have not put one in at the factory...
MNWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Yep, it is pretty well known on the forum. There is a write up somewhere on how to put in a breather tube.
do you know where this write up is??
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Is there a breather hose on the 45re??

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
GNX

Nope no breather hose on a 42RE you have to put one. There is a write up on it. sadass i believe was the guy helping me today. Yes it is so darn stupid jeep would not put a breather hose i mean they got the Transfercase and diffs with breather hose. but most people laugh at my jeep because they call it a grocery getter. I love the wj myself . lotsa room for camping , you c an sleep in it and it"s a very smooth ride. i will get some pics of my jeep soon on this forum i just joined today. but if you look at Proto Fab Specialty Parts For Bronco, Jeep, and Scout my jeep looks like his. i even purchased his bumper. KICK *** bumper man solid as hell . Also i mounted a warn HP powerplant . with compressor. just need a trany to enjoy my jeep again lol
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitnail View Post
Is there a breather hose on the 45re??
You mean 45RFE? And yes there is and it is attached to the trans dipstick tube,very hard to see and reach but extending it is not hard to do.Just remember you need to extend the F/R diff breathers and the t-case breather.
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Hmm..this is a trail we go to often, going around this is NOT an option and we've never had a problem.

This is my friend going through:
YouTube - Jake's Jeep OFR Bog Pond
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do the V8's have a breather hose on the trans?
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
You mean 45RFE? And yes there is and it is attached to the trans dipstick tube,very hard to see and reach but extending it is not hard to do.Just remember you need to extend the F/R diff breathers and the t-case breather.
Okay cool. How and where would you put the breather hoses once your extend them? Tie them to the roof rack?

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
GNX

Wj nope 42RE have no breather hose from the tranny

I got stuck in water and water got in my tranny because there is no breather hose.
42RE"s are from the inline 6 4x4. 1999 grand cherokee had 3 tranny's that year. inline 6 2x4, inline 6 4x4, and v8 . I have a breather hose on my Transfer case and my diferentials. but not the trany. The factory hole is above the tork converter. if you burry the top of you tranny and get stuck. water will sure be in your trany. if not your the lucky one lol

what you need to do is plug the factory hole with JB weld and dril a new hole just above the factory one. the reason is .

You need to tap with swaglok threads and the tork converter will be in the way. so if you drill a new hole above the factory the NPT swaglof will not interfear with the tork converter. and you can run the hose as high as you need it. the top of engine bay is fine. but i know someone who just ran it along his snorkle.

Also if you drive through i don't think water will get in but if you get stuck and it take 10 min or so to get out your in trouble if you have no breather hose.
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
n8man1068
2003 WJ 

An idea I had awhile back was to find out where the lowers breather vent is, extend them all to the same level, then put a piece of pin striping on the door/fender as a guage to let you know when you're too deep.
03 WJ IRO 3" lift, DT8000 shocks, Addco swaybars, JKS quick disconnects, IRO xfer skid, IRO adc control arms, Rola roof rack, Uniden 510xl+firestick 2, K&N drop in filter, Cragar soft 8's, Hankook Dynapro ATM/RF10tires
n8man1068 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.