Want a supercharger or some kind of mod for 4.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Want a supercharger or some kind of mod for 4.7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
kyminer

Want a supercharger or some kind of mod for 4.7

I have an 04 limited with 4.7 non h.o. I want to do a performance upgrade. Need suggestions. Would really like to do a supercharger.

kyminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Scour want adds for used S/C as no one makes anything for them
Or get creative with something like this with some DIY and JY parts
Turbos and FI are actually fairly simple, but I would probably do a single, in a rear mount.
Not much room under the hood on a WJ, not to mention they don't need anymore underhood heat.
Properly sized at 5-7 pis you'll see an extra 100 hp easy, and more torque than that.
twins04.jpg

Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyminer View Post
I have an 04 limited with 4.7 non h.o. I want to do a performance upgrade. Need suggestions. Would really like to do a supercharger.
How many miles are on it?
VBJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a recipe to rocket a 4.7L to an early demise.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

I'm sure it could be done, even safely with small amount of boost. But that's a good point, the Wj is too small. Theres no under hood room and probably no room for an intercooler. Plus the extra heat? You would probably need a custom raised hood. Easiest thing to do is go grab a Overland with the H.O.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Thats why I say rear mount

Google STS or Squires Turbo System.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

The hardest part would be tuning for the boost.

I'm not sure if any software that allows for full control of the stock ECU's fuel/timing maps is available.

Best way would probably be to swap in a stand alone fuel management system with a 2 bar MAP or MAF sensor setup.
FailWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

There are eaton and ken belle superchargers that will work with the 4.7. Getting one might be a whole different issue, but there is information out there. Just search. Other option is turbo it.

I know someone with a gen3 camry. He's now pushing 1000WHP. But then, a lot of custom work and he knows what he's doing. Thing is, it is possible to get more out of it. Just depends on what you're willing to do and spend, and if you have someone who really knows what they're doing to do it.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailWheelDrive View Post
The hardest part would be tuning for the boost.

I'm not sure if any software that allows for full control of the stock ECU's fuel/timing maps is available.

Best way would probably be to swap in a stand alone fuel management system with a 2 bar MAP or MAF sensor setup.
At low boost you can usually get away with a boost referenced regulator.
No knock sensor on the 4.7 might be an issue, but a simple A/F gauge to monitor the exhaust and tune from there.
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep View Post
I'm sure it could be done, even safely with small amount of boost. But that's a good point, the Wj is too small. Theres no under hood room and probably no room for an intercooler. Plus the extra heat? You would probably need a custom raised hood. Easiest thing to do is go grab a Overland with the H.O.
You could make an intercooler fit (dont know about the rest) as they made an front mounted intercooled WJ model ....the CRD.... and my straight five is longer than the V8 so you should easily be able to sqeeze one in.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
At low boost you can usually get away with a boost referenced regulator.
No knock sensor on the 4.7 might be an issue, but a simple A/F gauge to monitor the exhaust and tune from there.
Yeah an adjustable rising rate fuel pressure regulator could be made to work with the use of a wideband for A/F reference.

Still wouldn't have any control over timing though which would kinda suck.

I wish something like EFIlive or HPtuners was available for our WJ's.

BTW: This thread sparked my interest because I was just talking with a buddy the other day about how a rear mounted turbo on a gutted WJ with the 4.7 & QD would make for a demon at the drag strip. Would be such a fun project.
FailWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
99gcl532
1999 WJ 

Mega squirt, alot of wiring
99gcl532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Start here:
http://www.airram.com/custompage.php?page=18

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #14
MWF
2002 WJ 

Another option to the AFR would be a ninth injector running off a MAP sensor, then you'd be able to create an additional fuel profile mapped against boost pressure and maybe rpm too.

I used to have a turbo converted v-formation engine with a massive intercooler, it's remarkable what you can cram into the confines of an engine bay.

The ignition side has me stumped though, you need an overboost cutoff at least really.
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #15
texlurch
2002 WJ 

You could run an MSD with boost reference and limiter chip for better spark and over rev safety.
It will retard based on boost and your settings
1 to 1 fuel regulator will raise fuel pressure in relation to boost, and "fool" the engine into thinking it has bigger injectors under boost.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.