Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

want to replace/install new fuel filter

962 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Downwards 
#1 ·
I just bought my 2004 WJ and hope to change the oil and replace the fuel filter
where is the fuel filter located? Is it an easy replacement?
Limited V8

#3 ·
Its kind of a pain in the rear. Chrysler doesn't recommend replacing it if there are no issues. I owned my jeep since 2003 and thought that had to be bunk. However when I replaced it last year after 13 years and cut it open, the inside was nearly perfect. Some people have reported gunk in there's but if there are no problems I wouldn't replace it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Yeah, the fuel filter/regulator is up at the top of the unibody in front of the tank on the driver's side. Below is a diagram of the location along with how to change it out.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuel_filter.htm

I'm like you and wanted to change it out when I bought my 04 4.7 five years ago. After doing some research I went with the Mopar filter/regulator although pricey but have yet to install it.

While the WIX filters are supposed to be good I read a review where the fuel pressure was much higher than spec but may have been a fluke.

You have to really watch it on those aftermarket filters/regulators from overseas because some seem to have problems with the built-in regulators. Have seen some post on here too of a high pitched whine from them which is something nobody wants.

Below is some other real good maintenance info on the WJ's from wjjeeps.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm

I was more concerned about changing out all my other fluids/filters than the fuel filter but I'm still going to change it out.

Good luck and welcome to the WJ forum!

#13 ·
Ya know, I think I got the annoying fuel filter whistle. Doesn't really sound like a "whistle" as much as it just like air blowing through a tube. I thought it was my fuel pump. Would this "blowing" sound be the same us the "whistle" others described as the fuel filter whistling? It's original, 102K, and MPG isn't so great (12.6 MPG). Used to get closer to 15 MPG before I ever noticed this noise. Could/would lower MPG be related to the fuel filter whistle?

#11 ·
Real good video Motown, thanks! I wondered If I'd have to use my quick-disconnect tool on my 04 4.7 filter and since I have the same one as the guy in the video I shouldn't. Also it's always nice to see someone cut open an old filter/regulator to see what parts are inside.

Agree Steve, I've seen the same directions where it's best to pull the fuel pump relay in the PDC and run it until it dies which clears out the fuel.

I had also read a thread on here about the WJ type fuel filters with input from mostly mods. One guy said he always uses a spray petroleum based lube on the new filter o-rings/fitting ends so they don't warp when installing the new filter. Also read you should open up the shrader valve when first priming to force the air out of the filter/fuel system.

#12 ·
I had real bad gas mileage on my 2001 WJ, and took it to a mechanic who used to work at a dealership. The idle was rough also. He replaced the spark plugs(2 different heat ranges) from previous owner and the fuel filter cause he said it had been original. Vehicle had 98,000 miles when I bought it, now has 113,000 miles. Runs a lot better with new fuel filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.