WalMart Batteries?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WalMart Batteries??

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
meopilite
2002 WJ 

WalMart Batteries??

Are wal mart auto batteries any good??

meopilite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
drrm123
1994 ZJ 

I just bought one for my jeep one month ago, no trouble. Also have one in Cadillac ext for about two years and has been trouble free also. Don't know who manufactures them but sure most companies just put their own label on them and may just come from same distributor.
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
TSyl
2001 WJ 

I got one about two years ago. Last winter we had about a week with below 0 to single digit temps and it was fine. I have had no problems.
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Hit and miss mostly. A few years ago when I was a tech they were absolute garbage after a year and often had bad cells. Lately it seems the quality has improved but im unsure of how much. Personally ive always been a Diehard/Mopar/Motorcraft guy but currently my Jeep enjoys a Caterpillar battery made by Deka which has yet to let me down. Both my Mustang and my gf's Focus ST still use the factory supplied Motorcraft battery and my dad just replaced his 1999 F-350's Factory battery with another Motorcraft. For what its worth stay far away from AC delco batteries. You wouldnt believe how many would come into our shop with acid spewing out of the side posts and breaking off from the battery with the cable still attached and they were less than 3 years old.
Cirruslydakota is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Our two lasted two years in our Diesel and left us stranded. The Warranty was for two years as I recall. You get what you pay for and the rest is on your dime.
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
cherokee00SE
2000 WJ 

how bout you dont buy anything from walmart! -_-
cherokee00SE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Walmart maxx batteries are made by johnson controls, the company that makes optima.
They were bested only by interstate in an independent test a few years ago. I used to install them in boats for certin customers of mine.

Sent directly from my brain using JeepForum
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
rockcrawlernut
2004 WJ 

Just make sure it's a name brand and you should be just fine!
[/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT]

[CENTER][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-rock-dog-1284108/"]*--->Rockcrawlernut's Build Thread<---*[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
rockcrawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Jeepzjwj

I've had good luck with the top of the line one in my old zj. I think it was about $79

anyway, if you are up in MN. that might be more of a test on a battery, than someone in a warmer state.

Typically I replace batteries every 3 years before they "die" at an inconvenient time.

For the money, seems as good a deal as any.
If you want a higher tier battery, try a Sears Die Hard platinum.
Jeepzjwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

i have one in my wj for about a year now. no issues.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Rocklobster...when I worked at Wal-Mart I seem to remember the batteries were made by Exide.....
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
WarInc
2001 WJ 

I currently work for waly word in the tle and the company who supplies currently is johnson controls. Like with everything mass produced we always get a percentage returned bad. One of the biggest issues with the batteries is to never ever let it die. If you think there is a issue with your charging system or some componet shorting out for gods sake unhook the battery asap. These batteries are very tempermental and if you let on fully drain you might as well write it off now. Ofcourse if you want a free replacement within the Maxx 3 year warrenty........

Sent from my DROID2 using JeepForum

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/01-gc-laredo-war-build-thread-1173324/[/url]
WarInc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
MrAb3z
2002 WJ 

I use an Interstate Ultra Tron II on mine. Hasn't let me down so far.
MrAb3z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
Mamas-Ride

From my experience they are about as good as any, but far less expensive.

Watch out for Warranty tricks from Walmart. I had to replace one, but they did away with the 2 year and upped it to a 3 year with identical cranking specs. Of course it cost more than the 2 year warranty. When they tried to charge me more for the replacement, I said the sticker says free replacement and i asked to speak to the Manager. Well, the Manager said no problem. Basically don't take the first answer if you don't like it.
Mamas-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

Problem with walmart is that they drive such a hard bargain with the supplier, and have such large contracts, that quality suffers. Companies are stressed to produce enough product and have it delivered or be in breach that they are willing to kill their reputation to avoid litigation. Net effect is that many things from walmart are a waste of money. Usually for me either the alternator kills the battery or a crappy battery kills the alternator. Otherwise I leave it alone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.