Vibration - TC or CV?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration - TC or CV??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
thechainrule

Wj Vibration - TC or CV??

This weekend while driving my jeep on the highway it started vibrating horribly at the front end almost as if the front drive shaft wasn’t balanced or something, it got worse when on the throttle so I pulled over to have a look. There was smoke coming from the transfer case where the front axle meets the TC. Also, I noticed that the tears in my CV boots were much worse than I thought; I have been planning to swap them out this month thinking they would last a bit longer but could the CV axle cause this vibration too?
What’s weird is that I had to restart my jeep to get it out of the way and the majority of the issues went away. No more vibration or loud noise. However, I can definitely hear a humming/ slight grinding when its moving now especially while coasting off the throttle.

I have no idea where to start here. Obviously replace the cv axles, but as far as the vibration…swap the TC, rebuild, new chains????

Thanks

2000 wj, 4.0, 247 TC 180000 miles

thechainrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Start easy first -- remove your front driveshaft and take her for a spin. If the vibration stops, you likely found the source of your problem. Report back the results.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
thechainrule

Is there a write up anywhere for that?
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechainrule View Post
Is there a write up anywhere for that?
Yes.

Step 1. Grab wrench and remove bolts.
Step 2. Remove driveshaft.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

Sounds like a gone TC.

Sent from my Raul iPhone using JeepForum
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
thechainrule

Time to grab a new 247.
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

I enjoy web-diagnosing issues just as much as the next guy, but did you consider troubleshooting a problem prior to replacement? Just a thought.

Unread 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Yes.

Step 1. Grab wrench and remove bolts.
Step 2. Remove driveshaft.
terrible write-up.....i mean you didnt even mention where the bolts are located
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
thechainrule

I didn't realize how easy it was to remove the shaft as I have never done it before. I just took another look under the car this morning, the CV on the front drive shaft is definitely destroyed. I am going to take it off tomorrow before I go about buying another TC.

Is there anything wrong with taking the shaft off and leaving it off until i get the replacement CV?
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
terrible write-up.....i mean you didnt even mention where the bolts are located
I'll try better next time.

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
thechainrule

I went under the jeep this weekend to try and get the drive shaft out but it seems like its seized on there. Im going to give it a nice coat of pb or wd-40 and give it ago again later tomorrow. Also, when I was taking the bolts out i did notice some water leaking out around the bolts and a bit of oil coming out at the diff side, is this normal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.