Vibration at the steering wheel around 65-75 mph ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration at the steering wheel around 65-75 mph ?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
wjbeast
2004 WJ 

If you've been through any mud, and it has hardened on the inside of the wheel, you will get vibration at about 65 mph and up. Even if it is just a little bit, it will throw the balance off and your steering wheel will vibrate at high speeds. I went through some mud a while back and thought I had cleaned it all off. It doesn't take much. I just gave my rear tires a couple taps on the inside with a small hammer causing the dried mud to crumble and completely fixed the issue.

Unread 12-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
harricharan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloj2003wj View Post
I had the same issue once... Got them balanced and everything went away. if you drive on bad roads like here in NY its common for the small little weights that tire places put on fall off when you hit bumps at high speed.
thank . but all my tires weights are in place .
harricharan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #18
DanO99WJ

Did you figure out what the issue was? I'm having a similar problem, I have a vibration in my front end at around 70mph. Since it has started I have installed new tires, a BB kit, and a steering stabilizer. My swaybar links bushings are slightly rotted but, I dont know if thats the problem.
DanO99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
harricharan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanO99WJ View Post
Did you figure out what the issue was? I'm having a similar problem, I have a vibration in my front end at around 70mph. Since it has started I have installed new tires, a BB kit, and a steering stabilizer. My swaybar links bushings are slightly rotted but, I dont know if thats the problem.
I don't know neither to be honest everything is tight on the suspension , If you find out let me know thank
harricharan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harricharan View Post
thank . but all my tires weights are in place .
Just because you have weights on the wheels doesn't mean that they are balanced. As you drive on the tires they wear and become out of balance. Not only does a balance help to relieve vibrations or even wiggles in the steering but it also will help your fuel economy.

You should rebalance at least every 10K miles, I do mine about every 7 (every other oil change at 3500 miles). A balance can be done at most oil change places (even WalMart) and it usually doesn't cost much at all. Many places will rebalance for free for the life of the tire if you buy the tire there...

-lance
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #21
Jeepgc3

Your problem is definently the tiees or them being out of balance. I have a 2005 also and i put new goodyears on and at 65-70 it would shake. Had them balanced theee times and they said rhey were fine. After a year and a hapf the place where i bought the tires rotated them, drove it and still didnt fix it. He then replaced 2 of the tires and it was fixed. Trust me, its the tires. He didnt charge for the tires either. Those tires done that ever since they were new also.
Jeepgc3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #22
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

This is the perfect thread for this so I'm going to revive it.

I just had new Goodyear M/TRs installed along with my Clayton 6" lift. I have Dynabeads in the tires. For reasons that would take too long to explain, I drove it for the 1st week without front shafts. When I got the new shafts put in, nothing seemed unusual. I did hi-way driving, a light shake-down and more hi-way driving. No issues.

But then last Friday (Monday now), I drove for 20-30 mins on the hi-way at 70ish miles an hour and then parked for about two hours. Upon the drive home, traffic was heavier so I didn't get up to speed for a bit. But as soon as traffic opened up, I got up to speed (60-70 miles per hour - hard to tell because my speedo is off and I didn't have my GPS on) and a bad shimmy shake that graduated into an ALMOST death wobble. Until it hits whatever speed it is (I'm going to guess and say 70ish kms/h), it drives smooth once the beads have settled and found their home.

Got home, checked for play. Nothing up and down. Good. Not the ball-joints. Side to side on drivers, a small amount of play and a metal on metal thunk, thunk. I'm thinking wheel bearing. I tightened the lugs since it's a new build, got a bit of tightening out of them, but it didn't cure the problem. Everything else regarding steering is brand new and tight. It has an RS5000 S.S and a JKS adjustable track bar.

It's a 99 with most likely the original bearings, so with the increased heavy tire size (33x12.5x15) and extra effort required to turn those heavy buggers, a bad wheel bearing is my best guess.

Thoughts anyone?
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #23
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
This is the perfect thread for this so I'm going to revive it.

I just had new Goodyear M/TRs installed along with my Clayton 6" lift. I have Dynabeads in the tires. For reasons that would take too long to explain, I drove it for the 1st week without front shafts. When I got the new shafts put in, nothing seemed unusual. I did hi-way driving, a light shake-down and more hi-way driving. No issues.

But then last Friday (Monday now), I drove for 20-30 mins on the hi-way at 70ish miles an hour and then parked for about two hours. Upon the drive home, traffic was heavier so I didn't get up to speed for a bit. But as soon as traffic opened up, I got up to speed (60-70 miles per hour - hard to tell because my speedo is off and I didn't have my GPS on) and a bad shimmy shake that graduated into an ALMOST death wobble. Until it hits whatever speed it is (I'm going to guess and say 70ish kms/h), it drives smooth once the beads have settled and found their home.

Got home, checked for play. Nothing up and down. Good. Not the ball-joints. Side to side on drivers, a small amount of play and a metal on metal thunk, thunk. I'm thinking wheel bearing. I tightened the lugs since it's a new build, got a bit of tightening out of them, but it didn't cure the problem. Everything else regarding steering is brand new and tight. It has an RS5000 S.S and a JKS adjustable track bar.

It's a 99 with most likely the original bearings, so with the increased heavy tire size (33x12.5x15) and extra effort required to turn those heavy buggers, a bad wheel bearing is my best guess.

Thoughts anyone?
Problem half solved. TRE's were shot and the drag link ends too. Moogs. Phew. BUT...regarding the Dynabeads in an M/TR? DON'T do it. Not that Dynabeads are bad, but with the Kevlar sidewalls on an M/TR, no way in ____ that they do ANY good.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.