Vibrating/ humming coming from drivetrain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibrating/ humming coming from drivetrain?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
kingjake35
2000 WJ 

Wj Vibrating/ humming coming from drivetrain?

So last winter I was driving on the highway and all of the sudden lost 4th gear. I took the car to the shop and on the way got it back. It was still a little funny feeling but my mechanic went in and said all he saw is that it was a little low on fluid. Now, there is a humming that sounds like it is coming from the transfer case, axle, or transmission. The sound gets louder the faster I go and is not based on RPM's. It also gets louder when I hit a bump but quieter the higher the suspension travels, then settles in the middle again at a medium noise level. I havent noticed a difference in how it is running and still has all its power, 4wd, and all functionality. It's gone this long with the noise and over 10k miles, but Im still curious if this could be something serious.

kingjake35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
davymark
1999 WJ 

First thought would tell me bad joints on your drive shaft. They can give you driveline vibes and hums. Pretty simple Amd cheap fix. Doesn't explain your 4th gear loss, but does fit the description of everything else. I would replace those joints soon though... If that drive shaft falls off while your driving you could be looking at a very big headache.
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

As said, definitely look at replacing the u-joints in the rear shaft. One of mine went and it wasn't a happy feeling or noise. The rear one was seizing really bad all of a sudden with no real warning. Wasn't even any play in it. All good once replaced. As well, are your diffs leaking at all? what are the fluid levels like? Might as well check well you're at it. Also take a look at the tcase fluid level, and does it look/smell ok?

As for the front one, try taking it out and see if it makes any difference. I know with my front one, if the front gets pushed down too far doesn't sound too good at all. I suspect the front rezeppa is the issue (thats where the slip joint is on mine, as it has the rezeppa both ends). Only happens when I brake hard and the front suspension goes down far enough.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
kingjake35
2000 WJ 

Alright. Well I just checked on my drive shafts. The rear shaft has no play and looks as it at least the front u-joint was replaced before I bought the car about a year ago. As for the front drive shaft (coming from the transfer case forward), there is tons of play. Mostly just spinning a little back and forth when I turn it, but it also moves a little into the front diff and transfer case. Is this a bad issue? and should I get it replaced soon? becajuse I do have the all time 4wd and I feel like since it is always being used I should have it checked on.
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
davymark
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjake35
Alright. Well I just checked on my drive shafts. The rear shaft has no play and looks as it at least the front u-joint was replaced before I bought the car about a year ago. As for the front drive shaft (coming from the transfer case forward), there is tons of play. Mostly just spinning a little back and forth when I turn it, but it also moves a little into the front diff and transfer case. Is this a bad issue? and should I get it replaced soon? becajuse I do have the all time 4wd and I feel like since it is always being used I should have it checked on.
Yes. Replace that sucker asap. Are you lifted, or do you have future plans to lift it? If so this is a good opportunity to switch out drove shafts to a dc u joint style. Much better for lifts. I would still take you back one off and check it. Those rear joints have been known to seize up without having any play r visible signs. Take a couple minutes and totally worth it to check.
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
kingjake35
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davymark View Post
Yes. Replace that sucker asap. Are you lifted, or do you have future plans to lift it? If so this is a good opportunity to switch out drove shafts to a dc u joint style. Much better for lifts. I would still take you back one off and check it. Those rear joints have been known to seize up without having any play r visible signs. Take a couple minutes and totally worth it to check.
I'm not lifted now but after I get out of college I plan to make this car my "toy". How much does the front driveshaft run and what are the pros of a different kind? and what do I look for when I take off the rear shaft? The front driveshaft mainly rotates. Is that worse or better off than if it was moving in and out of the transfer case.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
davymark
1999 WJ 

Quote:

I'm not lifted now but after I get out of college I plan to make this car my "toy". How much does the front driveshaft run and what are the pros of a different kind? and what do I look for when I take off the rear shaft? The front driveshaft mainly rotates. Is that worse or better off than if it was moving in and out of the transfer case.
If it were moving in and out of the transfer case then you would have a bigger problem. The fact that its rotating simply means your joints are worn out and need replace. The double cardan style drive shaft is good for lifts because of angles. They can run at a steeper angle than other styles of drive shafts. They're just some of the most popular style for lifted jeeps and u joints are much cheaper and easier to replace than other styles (in my opinion anyway). It depends on where you buy it from. You can go to your local jy and usually pull one and all the necessary components for $100-200 bucks. You could buy a custom one from Tom woods or Carolina or something along those lines and they can run anywhere between $300-700 depending on what you order.
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
kingjake35
2000 WJ 

awesome! thanks so much for the help. I'm glad I caught it before anything worse happened!
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
davymark
1999 WJ 

Quote:
awesome! thanks so much for the help. I'm glad I caught it before anything worse happened!
Not a problem! Better to catch it before it falls off and blows up your transfer case or axle! Good luck with the repairs and let me know of you've got any other questions.
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
psyviperx
2004 WJ 

I think I an having a front ds issue to. I get a consistent buzz, quiet, buzz, quiet, ...at highway speeds. Thanks guys.

97 Laredo I6 2WD | 2"BB up front | F>R Swap
(sold to uncle)

I'm holding out for a 5.9...
psyviperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
kingjake35
2000 WJ 

Alright, update. I went to the junkyard to take off a front shaft. It was in worse shape than mine but I wanted to take it off just to see. I got all 12 bolts out and i couldnt get the shaft to come off. Is there anything else I can do? Also, can I take the driveshaft off and just make it rwd for the time being?
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

If it's the double rezeppa, like mine is, I use a flat screw driver to coax the end on the t-case out. Once it's out, I push forward, so the slip-joint callapses, then can drop it, pull it off from the diff and slip it out.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
kingjake35
2000 WJ 

ok great. Would it be alright to take mine off and drive it without the front ds just a couple miles to make sure that indeed is the problem?
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

It's how I did mine to prove my issue was my driveshaft. (I have the 242 t-case though so in 2WD anyways without the driveshaft) Many have done it if you search through the posts on front driveshaft problems though. The t-cases are different than in the ones the ZJ's used on the v8's.

Unread 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
kingjake35
2000 WJ 

yeah I have the 247. ill search to see. I want to make absolute sure that its the problem

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.