Very strange claim from the guy at my local car wash... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Very strange claim from the guy at my local car wash...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInChicago View Post
The NSS allows the starter to work in Neutral (and Park), but disables the starter circuit in all other gear selector positions.
Good call Steve and I was wrong. The nss keeps the car from starting in gear. I still think that it was a jeep with something wrong with the NSS or clutch safety switch. If I recall when installing my remote start in my XJ, I had to tie it to this and maybe this was the case with that culprit Jeep. Otherwise like someone said, wouldn't you just push the brake to stop the car when it started unexpectedly...

gtg413i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I recall someone posting this a few years ago here. You two probably went to the came car wash Someone did post up a link of a Jeep "surging" after it came out. One instance.
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #18
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko84 View Post
I had a TJ who's previous owner bypassed the feature that requieres u to press on the clutch while turning the ignition on, this caused me to bump my brother's and my mom's car twice before making sure that I left the tranny in neutral rather than 1st gear when parked
When I start a stick I always have the clutch fully depressed with my left foot and my right foot is pressing the brake and I have the parking brake on always (when parked) with a stick as well.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Jeep had many instances of unintended acceleration, surprisingly only at car washes, in the mid to late 90's.long before the toyota issues.
That is why car washes either won't service any jeep, or won't drive them on the lot.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
TSyl
2001 WJ 

http://www.carwash.com/business-oper...-comin-through

Quote:

It’s the shout that could be heard around carwashes if owners pay heed to the International Carwash Associa-tion’s (ICA) new advisory:
  1. Handle Jeep Cherokees and Jeep Grand Cherokees with extreme caution.
  2. Allow only specially trained carwash employees to handle these vehicles.
  3. Notify all carwash employees when one of these vehicles is on the property.
  4. Move the vehicle using both feet – left foot on the brake and right foot on the accelerator.
  5. Instruct employees and customers to never walk in front of one of these vehicles.
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
Also, maybe it's just me, but am I the only one who always starts the vehicle with my foot on the brake? Maybe it's just habit because I was used to cars with safety features that wouldn't let you start without the brake on, but I just see it as a simple way to prevent such a thing from happening.
Not just you, I've always started my vehicles with my foot on the brake, I guess a holdover from manual transmission days when you automatically put the right foot on brake before you pressed the clutch with the left...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #22
JRobes
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
"DDDUUUDDDEEE I CAN TOAAASSTTALLLLYY DRRRIIIVVEEE A STTIICCKK, BRAH I GOOTTTSSS DIIISSS!"
I used to have a 5-speed car and one of the workers did about a 5 ft burnout in it right before he took it through the car wash. Since the manager was standing right by me and saw it as well, I made a comment about if he was buying me new tires and he just walked away. Havn't been back there since. F'n brahs
Pearl Black 2004 Overland - OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disco's, JKS Track Bar, IRO Rear Sway Bar Links, Moog TRE's, K&N filter, Audio Aux Input, 10th Anniv. 2013 Rubi Rims, 32.1" BFG KM's, removable rear seat mod
JRobes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
MiCrOz

I work at a car wash and honestly have never heard anything like this, and I've also owned 4 Jeeps, none which have ever done what was described. I've noticed my Jeeps rev higher than most vehicles when first started, and it takes a sec for it to rev down, which I can only assume is the cause of this, because the employees are in too much of a rush to wait before putting it in Drive.
MiCrOz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #24
Msokol13

Just took my 02 JGC to the car wash. Nothin....no weird looks or screaming employees that a jeep was coming
Msokol13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #25
99JGCWJ
1999 WJ 

This was posted here a while back w/ pics. Here it is:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...y-guy-1172652/
FYI I took my Jeep to get washed yesterday and they drove it out.
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #26
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Baileys Car Wash near where i live i drive my jeep through the tunnel wash drive it back around girls get in it and drive it to the detail bay to vacuum it and clean the windows.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #27
phase888
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Notify all carwash employees when one of these vehicles is on the property.
I think they should do this anyway, just because we opted to visit their establishment. They should all be able to bask in the awesomeness, right?

Quote:
Baileys Car Wash near where i live
Is Bailey's any good? I'm getting sick of going to Johnny's and seeing all their failed equipment and them not doing everything you pay for. I haven't had a chance to head down there yet and check it out, but I sure as heck need a good wash!
phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibubts View Post
I have a car wash local to me that is the same setup. They won't wash my '02 WJ for that reason. There was some lawsuit dealing with a Jeep in a car wash so they won't even touch it. But there are other car washes around that will wash it no questions asked or that don't even use the method you stated above.
i have heard of this but not experienced it myself. my local car wash is the same set up and they do a great job!!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
phase888
2007 JK Wrangler 

Funny, this reminds me of something. I used to have a Ford Explorer (I can admit that now after much therapy) and I tried to rent a trailer from u-haul, they refused to rent me one. I thought the guy was just being a jerk so I called the main u-haul number and mentioned that the local guy said he wouldn't rent me a trailer. The CSR, before I could even say what I had, said 'You have an Explorer, don't you?'. Apparently the same thing, a select few people had damage or caused damage and sued them so they refuse to let anybody play. It really sucks when they do this but I can understand not wanting to be sued.
phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.