Very strange claim from the guy at my local car wash... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Very strange claim from the guy at my local car wash...

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
JRT403
2000 WJ 

Lightbulb Very strange claim from the guy at my local car wash...

So I took the WJ into the local car wash today, actually the first time I have ever taken it to this one. They run it through an actual car wash and then do some detailing after it comes out. The vehicle is put on the tracks in neutral and goes along the whole routine with the machine. The weird part was when it got to the end, rather than starting it up and pulling it up to where the other cars were being detailed, they got about 4 guys and pushed it next to the other cars.

I asked one of them why they had done that; it would have been much easier to just turn the key and start it. The guy told me that they have to push all of the Jeeps. He said that there was an instance or something where a Jeep transmission jumped forward when the engine was started in neutral so they are not allowed to start any of the Jeeps as they exit the wash.

Just thought I'd share this interesting experience I had today, lol. I have never had an issue starting this WJ in neutral, but who knows what kind of Jeep this happened with, and if it could even be reproduced.

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Sounds like they may have run into a jeep with a messed up neutral safety switch. (keeps cars from starting in gear). But you can mod the NSS to start in neutral pretty easy. Also, you can mod your in dash dvd player that only works with cars in park to work with cars in drive.
gtg413i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
SteveInChicago
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT403 View Post
...but who knows what kind of Jeep this happened with, and if it could even be reproduced.
I think the question is more like... Who knows what type of car wash employee was involved in said accident. A minimum wage worker screws up, causes expensive damage and blames the equipment. Not out of the question.
SteveInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
malibubts
2002 WJ 

I have a car wash local to me that is the same setup. They won't wash my '02 WJ for that reason. There was some lawsuit dealing with a Jeep in a car wash so they won't even touch it. But there are other car washes around that will wash it no questions asked or that don't even use the method you stated above.
malibubts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
SteveInChicago
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i View Post
Sounds like they may have run into a jeep with a messed up neutral safety switch. (keeps cars from starting in neutral). But you can mod the NSS to start in neutral pretty easy.
The NSS allows the starter to work in Neutral (and Park), but disables the starter circuit in all other gear selector positions.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
JRT403
2000 WJ 

Yeah, more than likely. Sounded a little bit out there in my opinion haha.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
JRT403
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibubts View Post
I have a car wash local to me that is the same setup. They won't wash my '02 WJ for that reason. There was some lawsuit dealing with a Jeep in a car wash so they won't even touch it. But there are other car washes around that will wash it no questions asked or that don't even use the method you stated above.
I figured it probably was something that was tied to a lawsuit at some point. It's how all those crazy rules and regulations seem to make their presence shown.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
SteveInChicago
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT403 View Post
He said that there was an instance or something where a Jeep transmission jumped forward when the engine was started in neutral so they are not allowed to start any of the Jeeps as they exit the wash.
Placing it in Park then starting it is not an option... why?

The more I read this thread, the more I'm convinced some car wash attendants are not qualified to work around automobiles.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Is it possible that it could have been a standard transmission? I have a feeling that was the case combined with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInChicago
I think the question is more like... Who knows what type of car wash employee was involved in said accident. A minimum wage worker screws up, causes expensive damage and blames the equipment. Not out of the question.
"DDDUUUDDDEEE I CAN TOAAASSTTALLLLYY DRRRIIIVVEEE A STTIICCKK, BRAH I GOOTTTSSS DIIISSS!"

[Starts Jeep, attempts to shift into gear, either drops the clutch or stalls it but Jeep lurches forward]
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Also, maybe it's just me, but am I the only one who always starts the vehicle with my foot on the brake? Maybe it's just habit because I was used to cars with safety features that wouldn't let you start without the brake on, but I just see it as a simple way to prevent such a thing from happening.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
SteveInChicago
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
"DDDUUUDDDEEE I CAN TOAAASSTTALLLLYY DRRRIIIVVEEE A STTIICCKK, BRAH I GOOTTTSSS DIIISSS!"
LOLOLOL I just spit soda all over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
Is it possible that it could have been a standard transmission?
Good point. Some people delete the clutch safety switch (which keeps the starter from engaging unless the clutch is depressed) so they can use the starter to bump them over certain types of obstacles. Even if this were the case, it still requires user error to cause an accident.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
JRT403
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInChicago View Post
Placing it in Park then starting it is not an option... why?

The more I read this thread, the more I'm convinced some car wash attendants are not qualified to work around automobiles.
Well that was what I was wondering as well, but I think it may have to do with the rear wheels never actually leaving the tracks at the end and if you put it in park it may force the vehicle forward, but obviously causing damage if it is in park. JUST a theory, but I did wonder why they couldn't just put it in park as well.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInChicago
LOLOLOL I just spit soda all over!
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Jacko84
2002 WJ 

I had a TJ who's previous owner bypassed the feature that requieres u to press on the clutch while turning the ignition on, this caused me to bump my brother's and my mom's car twice before making sure that I left the tranny in neutral rather than 1st gear when parked
Jacko84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
MudPit
2001 WJ 

Wow, sounds like the days of the runaway Audis and Toyotas. I just love how this stuff gets started. I guarantee someone is already thinking how they can sue Jeep for if they ever wreck their own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.