Very Poor Repair Record Jeep Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Very Poor Repair Record Jeep Grand Cherokee

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
paproud1
2004 WJ 

Very Poor Repair Record Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have a 2004 WJ V-8 Grand Cherokee Limited, love it but I have had many mechanical problems over 120,000 miles. Heating system right side gave out due to a mechanism failure inside the dash, over $1000 to repair it. Power steering pump failed, had to be replaced, water pump blew and filled the engine with water and most recently, lost the fuel pump at full speed on a highway. Never had so many catastrophic problems with a vehicle in over 45 years of driving. Have had two Jeep Grand Cherokees but this could be my last. What has been other's experience with their vehicles? Is the WJ a poor performer or am I snake bitten?

paproud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
wlmuncy21

They are known to have some issues. Mine has 256K miles on it JZ and nothing major done because of the Jeep. I have replaced the water pump, radiator, power steering pump, idler pulley, starter. But all those I would expect to go out at some point. Engine, transmission, differentials, TC, are all original and no problems out of any.
wlmuncy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
DHRFX Joe
2004 WJ 

Solution: stick to the 4.0.
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHRFX Joe View Post
Solution: stick to the 4.0 ZJ.
Fixed.

Unread 04-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
shocklee17
1998 ZJ 

Mostlikely you just got unlucky... i have a grand cherokee with 180000 miles on it and runs beautifully, i have replaced the water pump and radiator but thats about it. I love mine but you do have to be a little bit of a mechanic to own a Jeep. I have never taken any car to a shop simply because 100 dollars an hour is rediculas. Also have you always had a V-8? The 4.0 L I-6 tends to last much longer. I have the V-8 5.2 L and a keep a close eye on it. So all in all, i would say yes...you are snake bitten.
shocklee17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paproud1 View Post
I have a 2004 WJ V-8 Grand Cherokee Limited, love it but I have had many mechanical problems over 120,000 miles. Heating system right side gave out due to a mechanism failure inside the dash, over $1000 to repair it. Power steering pump failed, had to be replaced, water pump blew and filled the engine with water and most recently, lost the fuel pump at full speed on a highway. Never had so many catastrophic problems with a vehicle in over 45 years of driving. Have had two Jeep Grand Cherokees but this could be my last. What has been other's experience with their vehicles? Is the WJ a poor performer or am I snake bitten?
Nah, that's very weird.

ZJ: 128k miles, 4.0. Never had a problem mechanically with anything except the 249 TC. Everything else was because of rust, radiator rusted, axle rusted pretty bad, other various things. Besides that water pump didn't even go, was the gasket.

WJ has the 4.7 think it was 150k miles. CV Joint being replaced, heater core issue, fuel injector issue, and something in the front end.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

The heating system problem is the biggest common problem on these WJ's, do a search for "blend doors" on the forum. The power steering pump was most likely a freak failure, as I would think the water pump "blowing" would be? I've never even heard of a water pump blowing up, just going bad and starting to weep. What in the world do you do to your jeeps?
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Shocklee is right. Just look at my signature and you'll see. The majority of that stuff I've done it myself and it isn't hard.

You would have benefitted from being here to read through our experiences before purchase however. Your issue in the dash that cost you so much is going to happen again from what I hear.... and there's a simple solution that costs a fraction of the dealer's repair price. Look it up. While you're there, look further through these threads for what else to expect ....so there are no more surprises when your door lock acuator starts buzzing and your hood lift supports fail.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

That sounds pretty good to me. Water pump, fuel pump, and power steering pump aren't huge problems. That's about the right mileage for the water pump, little early for the power steering pump and fuel pump though.
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Rhinoguy
2001 WJ 

I bought my 01 WJ 3 months ago with 100k. I have had almost as much headache. I am not one to have someone else do work I can do. I had a stalling issue that would have cost me well over $600 or $700 to fix. Mechanics were telling me different things all the way up to the Computer needing to be replaced. After all my labor of maybe 25-30 hrs of replacing sensors and such I found a bad vacuum hose that was giving me the problem all along, (it was cracked). Just after that My heater core went out, guess these go around a 100k. That would have cost me $1300 at the dealer. But I did it myself and it cost me $180 and 7 to 8 hrs of a day. I knew when I got this thing that I'd be working on it, I hope my major problems are now in the past, but I feel like I know this jeep inside and out. Trouble shooting should go quicker in the future now that I have been "deep inside" her.
Rhinoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
RyanSBenson
2001 WJ 

I am constantly replacing things on my WJ. That why I love it. There is no greater satisfaction then fixing a Jeep (or any car for that matter). This morning I just replaced my passenger side window regulator.

I bought the 01 WJ with a little over 100,000 on the clock. Right when I bought it I had transmission sensors replaced. Now at 135,000 done water pump, all lift supports, repaired tweeters multiple times, full tune. For a vehicle with that many miles I cant really complain.
RyanSBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
Jerry1964
2000 WJ 

Very Poor Repair Record Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good Morning,

Interesting thread. I noticed a few in the thread have replaced their radiators. I'm in the midst of replacing mine but am a bit perplexed at the number of radiators on the market for the WJ2000. Also, from what I can tell, they are aluminum and plastic. Seems a bit strange for a Jeep.

Bottom line, is there a particular brand/part number/website that seems to be mostly recommended for this model? Hopefully a metal one is available if that is recommended.

Also, I notice a mention of sway bar upgrade. What do you think of that mod? When done, are front and back normally done at the same time?

Thanks very much,
Jerry.
Jerry1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
shocklee17
1998 ZJ 

Front one usually can be done by itself because it takes more abuse, you know, with the turning and all. Really doesn't need to be done unless you are having problems with it.

Also, i haven't only replaced my water pump and radiator... Those are things i had to replace. I've done coil, cap, rotor, wires, cat, muffler, plugs, seals, oxy sensors, hitch lifts, seat frame, armrest, speakers, pass window and reg, windshield, a/c everything, t/c, trans filter, door latch, and im sure i dont need to talk about scheduled stuff. Holy f, never really listed it all, who keeps a car that needs all this work??? Someone that wouldn't let you tare his Jeep out of his cold dead fingers.
shocklee17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Also, I notice a mention of sway bar upgrade. What do you think of that mod? When done, are front and back normally done at the same time?

- Real differences are in the rear anti-sway bar upgrade. (Near night & day difference.) Contact Kolak for a great price and shipping. Tell him we sent you. (Do a search on his name for details) Get the greasable bushings for it while you're at it. One of the single best upgrades you can get for improved road manners.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
paproud1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post

- Real differences are in the rear anti-sway bar upgrade. (Near night & day difference.) Contact Kolak for a great price and shipping. Tell him we sent you. (Do a search on his name for details) Get the greasable bushings for it while you're at it. One of the single best upgrades you can get for improved road manners.
Love Cobalt boats but they are damn expensive
paproud1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pump , maintenance , problems , repair record

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.