Vent Shades - In channel or out??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vent Shades - In channel or out???

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

Vent Shades - In channel or out???

I have read online the pros & cons but I am looking for anyone to comment from personal experience on their WJ?

thanks

FastSUV is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

We had the out of the channel shades for a few years on my wife's WJ before the 3M tape started to fail. Plus from day one we got a lot of wind noise from them, especially on the driver's side.

Replaced them about a year ago with the in channel's and couldn't be happier. They're much quieter than the old ones, plus I think they look a little cleaner. They're also impossible to install crooked.

The only thing I don't like about them is they wedge in between the glass and the window frame molding, causing the window lift motor to strain a bit when full up. Given the issues WJ's have with window regulators, it might be an issue down the road, but so far so good.
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

That's what happened to my wife's exploder. . .she had the in channel and the window eventually gave up trying to close all the way. I'd go out and save $$$. Even the cheap ones I got are molded to fit around the rear view mirrors. Just take your time installing and line everything up.
cr8zynelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

good opinions here...I already have the outs on one of my WJ's (came that way) and I have had to replace part of the tape from time to time...Also, for my ZJ they apparently don't make in-channel so the choice is clear for it, but I was tempted to try in-channel now for my other WJ. Anyone have any pics of in-channel on a WJ???

Also, just an FYI, I got some brand new knock-off outers thinking I was buying the name brand (my fault for not paying attn, not sellers). I have not installed them or anything and would be willing to sell them for a slightly reduced price than I paid for them if anyone wants some cheaper ones than LUND or Weathertech.

My PM's likely full now but I will re-post with a price shipped and a pic after I see what I got in them; I had been meaning to post them in FS but since I had a question about vent shades, I figured I'd go ahead and do a feeler to see if there was any interest. They look fine and are a seemingly more streamlined design than the Lund AVS ones on my WJ but since I have the AVS already, i wanted to get the same brand and I accidentally bought some with a misleading similar name that were a little cheaper. I figured someone might want them for their budget WJ?
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

I have in channel ones and love them. My friend with a Chevy had the outside channel ones on his car for a day, but someone ripped them off literally...
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I'll post up some pics of my wife's in channels tomorrow when I wrap up the mechanical work on it.
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
We had the out of the channel shades for a few years on my wife's WJ before the 3M tape started to fail. Plus from day one we got a lot of wind noise from them, especially on the driver's side.

Replaced them about a year ago with the in channel's and couldn't be happier. They're much quieter than the old ones, plus I think they look a little cleaner. They're also impossible to install crooked.

The only thing I don't like about them is they wedge in between the glass and the window frame molding, causing the window lift motor to strain a bit when full up. Given the issues WJ's have with window regulators, it might be an issue down the road, but so far so good.
Every couple of weeks, go spray the window channels all around with silicone spray, use the nozzle tip to get it in the channel. It helps relieve the strain on the motor. This is if you have vent shades or not.

I have done this with all my cars since I got my first vehicle in 1999.
2000_limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Go with the in channel ones. They are the best. I had the the other kind and one day driving 65 down the highway one blew right off after being on the truck for a year or so.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zynelly View Post
That's what happened to my wife's exploder. . .she had the in channel and the window eventually gave up trying to close all the way. I'd go out and save $$$. Even the cheap ones I got are molded to fit around the rear view mirrors. Just take your time installing and line everything up.
^^ I have to agree; I tried some in-channel ones, and even though they installed easily, as soon as I closed the window the first time I could tell the window was straining to close. Left them in for a few weeks to see if they would "loosen up", but they didn't. They do look better, but not so much as to risk having my window motors fail prematurely. I replaced them with outside mounts.

I have run outside mounts on several vehicles for years with no issues, no separation from the tape. This notion of "things flying off" should not happen if the install was done correctly. As with most installs, prep is key. Use the alcohol pads to clean off any dirt, wax, grease, etc.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

I have used the Weathertech in-track pieces on 3 vehicles and have not had a problem with window motors on any of them. They have been installed on my WJ for over a year and love them.

Unread 02-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav1s View Post
I have used the Weathertech in-track pieces on 3 vehicles and have not had a problem with window motors on any of them. They have been installed on my WJ for over a year and love them.

Nice clean look. I like the in channel ones.
2000_limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

Okay so this adds a new layer of decision...it appears the Weathertech brang might be better than the AVS ones for the in-channel design. I was going to buy AVS regardless whether I decided to get ins or outs...now it seems, to be safe I'd have to get the Weathertechs to protect the window motors and the issue is, the Weather techs are like twice the cost...so I have a decision to make. AVS outs or Weathertech ins...LOL, and I was gonna get the AVS ins but OF COURSE they are the ones with the issue...LOL, that is my luck though. I am leaning towards the AVS outs since they have been good on my other WJ...I have some other things going on in life and am looking to save some money so the budget helps the decision but I must admit, the Weathertech's look very nice.
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

well fellas, it seems there are pros & cons to both...I stubbornly decided to just get the same as what I already have on my other WJ...I ordered some outers for my '04 WJ and my 5.9L...I will live with these I guess but thanks to all who contributed because i do think the in-channels look real nice as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.